What's new

Cigar Molds Thread

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe that Nub is infused with a flavoring. Possibly espresso/vanilla combo? Only the people at Nub know the formula.
This is definitely something in the leaf. The same taste is in the beast, and that is not infused. The espresso has a very light coffee flavor which is different than whatever I'm trying to figure out what this flavor is.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It is tapered. I make the block first, then I create a sketch for the bunch. For this one I made 46 ring circle on one end and 56 at the other. I made some dimension constraints for the length and laid out the tangent body lines. The top of the head and the foot nipple are 5mm circles. The foot is a custom spline curve copied from the original picture. I then revolve the sketch as a cut into the block.
Thanks. Yeah, I figured the screen cap perspective view was funky.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi. If this is to me, then I think the "40 ring" part of that is a typo, since we're talking about a 46, right? Thanks. -b
14 hours and 36 minutes later, you have your 46 ring mold... I made it in natural color ABS in case you wanted to spray paint it or something in another color. Pic attached.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazing, man. Super rad botl hall-of-fame status!
Hopefully I'll get the other one done over the weekend and I'll ship them out to you. Be sure to drop me your address sometime before Sunday.
It's 3D printed, so it's far from perfect. ABS likes to shrink a little so the bottom corners are slightly warped, however that doesn't change any aspects of the molding process for cigars because the bunching area is farther up. Natural gets a little darker on the bottom too because the 110C heated build plate kind of cooks it. It can happen with lighter colors. So if you don't like the color, just use some kind of spray paint for the color of your choice. Soon I'm going to lay some of mine into a nice closable hardwood box, but I haven't had the time to experiment with that this week. That way, you won't see any of the imperfections from a 3D printer and have a closable mechanism other than the clamps I've been using.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've found that Nub Cafe cappuccino and Gurkha's Beast have this very unique flavor I can't put my finger on or describe that is awesome. Closest I can describe is maybe cinnamon? I'm not sure that is right. It's a very light undertone and might come from the wrapper or the binder. Doesn't taste like a filler flavor by the small quantity of flavor. Any recommendations on how I go about identifying the leaf to make this into my own blend? Would the folks at leaf only know this info? If this isn't the right forum for this question I apologize. I figured this crowd would likely be the best crowd.
Knowing what is in there mojo and what components get the petuning is a trade secret and, there not talking. but, with some knowledge and, trial and error you'd be able to get there.
I would like to hear what the LO response would be, if you don't mind asking them.
I got the Work of Art done as a CAD. Image attached.View attachment 95617
Nice! that looks good but, is that final. I’d like to be able to view it in thingiview on thingiverse.com and, may add something before final approval if possible.
Do either one of these interest you for payment.

5.25 X 54

6.1 X 56

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Knowing what is in there mojo and what components get the petuning is a trade secret and, there not talking. but, with some knowledge and, trial and error you'd be able to get there.
I would like to hear what the LO response would be, if you don't mind asking them.

Nice! that looks good but, is that final. I’d like to be able to view it in thingiview on thingiverse.com and, may add something before final approval if possible.
Do either one of these interest you for payment.

5.25 X 54

6.1 X 56

It's a cad file right now. I'm going to send it to the printer as soon as my next part finishes, probably tomorrow, for Bliss. Was there something missing? If the bunch profile is not right it would help to have a drawing with measurements. Other than the length, larger ring and smaller ring I'm eyeballing it from the picture.

Those two other molds are easy to do if they are standard round head molds. I'm doing a 6 stick 56x6.5 mold for myself right now that should be finished by morning.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, looks like I got nothing new to add to the discussion. Seems my Hemingway Work of Art is as expected in its various measurements. But here's the pics I took of it, anyway.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, looks like I got nothing new to add to the discussion. Seems my Hemingway Work of Art is as expected in its various measurements. But here's the pics I took of it, anyway.

That's actually really helpful. I'll try to mirror that. I thought the smaller ring size was 46, so I can bump that down to 44 too. I could have remembered it wrong. I have about 12 molds in my collection now and I have to label everything or I mess them up.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I knew I wasn't losing my mind. We said 46 originally. I can make it 44 instead. Your choice. It's just changing one measurement for me.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I knew I wasn't losing my mind. We said 46 originally. I can make it 44 instead. Your choice. It's just changing one measurement for me.
Actually, if you do need to tweak it, then you could tweak that to 43, because it's right between 43 and 44 on the finished product (at least on my sample), and the wrapper sometimes adds ~1RG to the bunch size.
[edit: Okay, yeah, I see that MarcL wanted a 46 shoulder. Maybe you should go with that since he's the one who requested the Work of Art? Mine definitely measures 43ish before the "cone." His may differ. I'd get his input for sure.]

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
46 at the shoulder before it tapers to a point.
This is where we got 46 from. I can do 43,44,46.. Whatever you guys want. I just change one measurement for that. Heck I could print out a square mold if you are so inclined. Lol.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's a cad file right now. I'm going to send it to the printer as soon as my next part finishes, probably tomorrow, for Bliss. Was there something missing? If the bunch profile is not right it would help to have a drawing with measurements. Other than the length, larger ring and smaller ring I'm eyeballing it from the picture.

Those two other molds are easy to do if they are standard round head molds. I'm doing a 6 stick 56x6.5 mold for myself right now that should be finished by morning.
This is not to scale. 2400 × 621 and 216 pixels per inch. I'm attempting to get a handle on thingiverse.com. what type of file does your printer take.

This is an example of some relief areas at the head and foot.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is not to scale. 2400 × 621 and 216 pixels per inch. I'm attempting to get a handle on thingiverse.com. what type of file does your printer take.

I can take pretty much any cad file. I use Fusion360 for designs. Printers take an stl file. An stl file is exported from the cad, then another program generates the movement code from the stl.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

That also looks like the ends are somewhat open?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can take pretty much any cad file. I use Fusion360 for designs. Printers take an stl file. An stl file is exported from the cad, then another program generates the movement code from the stl.
Alright. I'll try getting this computer aided design image to 3D and to scale.
It's looking like my scaled to length model with not match the blisscigarco example.
The relief areas at the head and foot are created to eliminate the problems that having them closed can create.