What's new

Cigar Molds Thread

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's great! The scalpel sounds like a good idea, minus the fact that you wouldn't be putting in practice time on the chaveta, I guess. You can see in my videos that I started by faking it with multiple cuts because I didn't want to shred my leaf trying to do it in the traditional way. After a year of that I switched over. I'm glad I finally went for it: it becomes easy quickly, once you commit.
Do you drag the chaveta across the leaf for those tight cuts? Or it is a downward force cut? I tried the drag and it ripped a leaf. Then I tried a downward cut and when I turn the chaveta it rips the leaf.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do you drag the chaveta across the leaf for those tight cuts? Or it is a downward force cut? I tried the drag and it ripped a leaf. Then I tried a downward cut and when I turn the chaveta it rips the leaf.
You can kind of see in the videos that I slice until I get a clue that it's about to tug and catch; at the first clue of that I stop slicing and then pressure roll the rest of the way. The second slice is more likely to be mostly pressure roll since you're no longer holding the whole thing taught.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice mold, as always i want it but I'm going to hold out for a torpedo or 52 rg ;)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
I like the way your thinking. even more rare though is a torpedo.
that is a nice one.
Unfortunately if you look at the pictures from the inside, the wood looks all cracked and broken. Most wood molds look this way on Ebay. That's part of the reason I went plastic.
I first thought it had sections missing but their not. it's the coloration. cracks like this are less of a problem. not a great price but good. it is rare though.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the way your thinking. even more rare though is a torpedo.

that is a nice one.

I first thought it had sections missing but their not. it's the coloration. cracks like this are less of a problem. not a great price but good. it is rare though.
$29 is lower than I've seen anywhere. If you can stomach the broken-ness of it, it may be a good price. I can't stomach broken-ness, personally.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
$29 is lower than I've seen anywhere. If you can stomach the broken-ness of it, it may be a good price. I can't stomach broken-ness, personally.
things I look for are, does it fit tightly together, rarity, are their not missing sections, and price. this does seem to have it all. cracks like these are found by me not to be a problem so much. maybe we could get some feedback from some other members that have experience. I only post them if I feel it's a good call.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I have a few molds that have cracks like the one above. those cracks do not have any ill effect whatsoever in the function and for that price I would not hesitate to start bidding if I was in the market for that size.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm dusting off my CNC stuff I haven't played with in years. I think I can cut arbitrary bunch molds out of any type of wood too.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm dusting off my CNC stuff I haven't played with in years. I think I can cut arbitrary bunch molds out of any type of wood too.
That would be cool. Been reading about that stuff for about two years now, thinking I'd have to learn it to bust out some proper wooden molds. When I started this I had molds custom-made for me at the sizes I wanted, at $110 a pop. I nearly bought a ~$1000 cnc mill right after that.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have all the tools, electronics, and parts. Getting them working together and in working order is another story. That's what kept me from using it for the longest time. I already know and have the software to do what I need. It's just now finding the time and energy.
I may have introduced a new roller this week, too. It's been a good week.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
That would be cool. Been reading about that stuff for about two years now, thinking I'd have to learn it to bust out some proper wooden molds. When I started this I had molds custom-made for me at the sizes I wanted, at $110 a pop. I nearly bought a ~$1000 cnc mill right after that.
I've been considering building one myself. Just not sure what would the best wood to use.