What's new

Cigar Molds Thread

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Picked up a few goodies from the cat in Red Lion. I'll take pics and post them later. Best deal I saw there was several rolling stgations complete for $120 each. Worst deal I saw there was just thinking about how much would you have to pay to ship a rolling station. Got a press, a couple molds, a knife, a whole slew of interesting sample boxes, a couple rolling slabs (one with tuck cutter), a small box press, etc. Gonna try and put these on line for sale to kick off torcedoritos.com. Gotta find some time. Flat out.

Later... gotta go put out another fire right now.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I looked into resin molding to make cigar molds today. I think the cost of materials will still be in the $30-$50 range, minimally, for one mold, but would come down slightly for future copies after the silicone mold is made, which is around half the materials cost. That doesn't count the cost of the original mold, which would likely be 3d printed. The only shot I think to make $30-$50 molds with materials that cost less than that is out of some spruce and that requires CNC equipment, which is not negligible as well. Even some other woods can get too expensive, according to my searching on the Home Depot app. I can see why molds are typically $100 or more after researching this, as it allows for some profit plus you really only ever buy one, for home rolls, so repeat customers won't be there to make it financially viable. The rule of thumb for profit is 2-2.5 times the material cost, from what I've read. That is about $40 of materials for a $100 sale price, which is just about right. People expecting to get $50-$70 per heavily used aged mold (or ones with cracks and such) is excessive, in my opinion. The new wood ones for sale on lo aren't designed right, in my opinion. I'd stay away from those, as I don't think it'll give you results you are probably hoping for unless you aren't picky about your construction. And none of this takes into account making any arbitrary bunch shape and size like Salomon, Perfecto, etc. There may be only one person that wants one shape and size, which would cost the most, definitely with the resin route, than 10 people wanting that shape and size. I'd have to get a feel of what people want, how many people, what they would realistically pay, etc before I could see if it was economical to produce more and better molds for our hobbies.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could they be made from oak or poplar?
I'm assuming wood could be cut on something like a Bridgeport mill?
Nearly any wood could be used. But it all depends on what people would pay for them. I've unofficially seen here people expect to pay $30-$50 for a mold, which doesn't leave a lot of room for materials (think about the size of that oak stock, times two for each side, times the cost). And I'm not entirely sure that range is accurate, it may be lower. That is about a 4 stick mold 3d printed (if I printed it, and not a commercial shop which starts above $60). It allows for no profit but more importantly the "uh oh I need to fix my machine because printing this thing for someone else broke it" funds.

My mill is nowhere near a Bridgeport. Mine is a bunch of parts I have and still have to put together, but still expensive enough it's not negligible. None of the parts for printing or milling is negligible. Putting my mill together will require a lot of work, so I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the time. And time is important too. Printing and milling takes a lot of fiddling time as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk