What's new

Cigar Molds Thread

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Ok @BrewinHooligan I'm grateful one of our newest brothers @DavidW1968 is picking me up this mold on the weekend as it's way down south and the seller doesn't want to post it. They must be a short smoke as its only 11cm wide, but it holds 20 and seems like an awesome buy for $30 Australian.

I couldn't work out how to post pics via PM so I'll post it here. Probably not the best beginner mold but I couldn't pass it up as you just don't find them here.

Keen to hear your thoughts on it, ordeal by fire? Flat out don't start with this vitola or go for it?

upload_2016-5-3_8-20-19.png

I also have a Chaveta on the way, and I fear I may have picked the wrong gum arabic in my haste...

Is this stuff ok, it's already a liquid form?
upload_2016-5-3_8-22-46.png

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Ok @BrewinHooligan I'm grateful one of our newest brothers @DavidW1968 is picking me up this mold on the weekend as it's way down south and the seller doesn't want to post it. They must be a short smoke as its only 11cm wide, but it holds 20 and seems like an awesome buy for $30 Australian.

I couldn't work out how to post pics via PM so I'll post it here. Probably not the best beginner mold but I couldn't pass it up as you just don't find them here.

Keen to hear your thoughts on it, ordeal by fire? Flat out don't start with this vitola or go for it?

View attachment 80905

I also have a Chaveta on the way, and I fear I may have picked the wrong gum arabic in my haste...

Is this stuff ok, it's already a liquid form?
View attachment 80907
My first mold was a perfecto mold and it works, but they can be a real pain in the ass to get the fill right. It may be easier to start with some pvc piping cut in half down the middle with some band clamps but you can certainly get started with that mold. Not only can the bunching be difficult, getting a nice looking wrap on a perfecto can be a challenge as well. The good news, once you get proficient with a perfecto mold, rolling a standard parejo is super simple.

Not sure about that gum Arabic but It may work for you. I would suggest ordering the powder when you can though.

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
My first mold was a perfecto mold and it works, but they can be a real pain in the ass to get the fill right. It may be easier to start with some pvc piping cut in half down the middle with some band clamps but you can certainly get started with that mold. Not only can the bunching be difficult, getting a nice looking wrap on a perfecto can be a challenge as well. The good news, once you get proficient with a perfecto mold, rolling a standard parejo is super simple.

Not sure about that gum Arabic but It may work for you. I would suggest ordering the powder when you can though.
Thanks Jonathon! Itchin to give it a go!

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Yeah, the Upmanns that come packaged are 52s and it looks like they've got some wiggle room. I wonder if by 'refurbished' they mean that they sanded them down and added some stain.
Most likely. @Marc L said that's what I got with my first mold. To be honest mine makes a good cigar box. Not a great mold

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
[reposting this here in the correct thread]
Just a note: Jesus Martinez has 20 54x7 wood molds currently available. They just got in their plastic replacements.
Behike must have made that a popular ring if they need so many....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, the Upmanns that come packaged are 52s and it looks like they've got some wiggle room. I wonder if by 'refurbished' they mean that they sanded them down and added some stain.
For clarity, these were made to be boxes not molds. notice how other molds are made with different pieces of wood. where these are not.
The one I have is A Montecristo White. It makes an oval ring gauge that measures 1.04 by 0.96 inches. the head area does not line up square.
They were made with a few different brands. there are usually a few empty ones on eBay.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For clarity, these were made to be boxes not molds. notice how other molds are made with different pieces of wood. where these are not.
The one I have is A Montecristo White. It makes an oval ring gauge that measures 1.04 by 0.96 inches. the head area does not line up square.
They were made with a few different brands. there are usually a few empty ones on eBay.

I see what you mean now.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
My mold from Jorge comes in tomorrow. Super excited about rolling a few. With all the big talk in the blend threads I thought I'd ask this. My mold is a 48rg. And I'm looking to make 5 to 6 inch lengths. How many filler leaves should I go with?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My mold from Jorge comes in tomorrow. Super excited about rolling a few. With all the big talk in the blend threads I thought I'd ask this. My mold is a 48rg. And I'm looking to make 5 to 6 inch lengths. How many filler leaves should I go with?
Maybe concoct a 3 leaf blend, like 111, and have a .5 of seco ready to go to fill out your bunch if needed.
I'm excited for ya too! I know how it feels.