What's new

Cigars that have Survived your Noob Journey

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
We have very similar tastes. I am curious, have you had any of the newer CyB through CI?
if you mean newer like a year ago, then yes. Got a box about a year ago, and while it's not as good as a few years back, I still think they are a solid smoke. Great giveaway cigars for friends that want a light smoke.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
NC only? God, there are a lot to remember, taking it back to the 90s, Fuente, Davidoff and LFD to name a few...Ernesto not so much but La Historia was pretty tasty.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
the majority of my noob cigars are no longer made.
And what does that tell you about those cigars?

My first cigar in 1977, I was 15, was a Dutch Masters Presidente.
My first "real" :) cigar was an Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente.
My NOOB sticks, and those upon which I cut my teeth on for the next 17 years were:
El Rey del Mundo (predominantly the Robusto & Rob. Largo, but others)
Arturo Fuente (Chateau in Nat. & Mad., Rothschild, 858, Spanish Lonsdale)
AF Hemingways (Short Story, Classic, Between the Lines)
Punch (Rothschild in various wrappers)
Hoyo de Monterrey (mainly the Rothschild in various wrappers0
Padron (2000, 3000, Londres)
La Gloria Cubana

A lot of the stuff available today, was not around when I started. And a lot of brands that I watched begin, and even some which garnered some popularity, are now gone... I am not sorry to see most of them gone.

Unfortunately, most of the old venerable brands are underappreciated today.

Why? Too many seem to need the newest and greatest. Don't believe me? Which cigars are the most sought after? Special releases? It appears that in the cigar community, too much is still about the "flash." The flash? Yes! "I'm smoking these now. You can only get them at *****.com," and then listing the pedigree of the blend. Or the newest release by Don Ididitagain, "I got two boxes of Don's latest blend, only $290 for a collectible box of 12."
I saw it during the boom of the 90s, but I think it might be back. Many are the claims that we have a more educated cigar smoker today because of all the information on the web. Seriously? OK, I believe everything I can find on the internet... not! Not everything that glitters is gold.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some great things that have come out since I started smoking cigars back in 1980. I like much of the stuff done by La Flor Dominicana, Oliva, Tatuaje, and some others.

Of course since everybody's tastes are different, there are a couple brands that have appeared and stuck around which I am not a big fan of (even some lines in the fore-mentioned brands.)

But hey, I am glad of the diversity. If everybody smoked only the things that I liked, I probably could not find them, nor afford them.

So, do not go and try the old brands that still are around. Go off and try the new stuff, leave my favorites alone!

(By the way, there was some sarcasm mixed into this post, so hopefully you were able to wade through it and figure it out)

Smoke what YOU like, and enjoy it.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

My NOOB sticks, and those upon which I cut my teeth on for the next 17 years were:
La Gloria Cubana

A lot of the stuff available today, was not around when I started. And a lot of brands that I watched begin, and even some which garnered some popularity, are now gone... I am not sorry to see most of them gone.

Why? Too many seem to need the newest and greatest. Don't believe me? Which cigars are the most sought after? Special releases? It appears that in the cigar community, too much is still about the "flash." The flash? Yes! "I'm smoking these now. You can only get them at *****.com," and then listing the pedigree of the blend. Or the newest release by Don Ididitagain, "I got two boxes of Don's latest blend, only $290 for a collectible box of 12."
I saw it during the boom of the 90s, but I think it might be back. Many are the claims that we have a more educated cigar smoker today because of all the information on the web. Seriously? OK, I believe everything I can find on the internet... not! Not everything that glitters is gold.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some great things that have come out since I started smoking cigars back in 1980. I like much of the stuff done by La Flor Dominicana, Oliva, Tatuaje, and some others.

Of course since everybody's tastes are different, there are a couple brands that have appeared and stuck around which I am not a big fan of (even some lines in the fore-mentioned brands.)

But hey, I am glad of the diversity. If everybody smoked only the things that I liked, I probably could not find them, nor afford them.

So, do not go and try the old brands that still are around. Go off and try the new stuff, leave my favorites alone!

(By the way, there was some sarcasm mixed into this post, so hopefully you were able to wade through it and figure it out)

I agree with you mostly. But what I appreciate about this all is that it's led to a lot of innovation in the industry. Certainly there are those that prey on those that chase the latest and greatest but the end result is that it creates a more diverse field. I love, for example, the annual las Calaveras release by Crown Heads and the Tatuaje Monters, the Viaje seasonal releases and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree with you mostly. But what I appreciate about this all is that it's led to a lot of innovation in the industry. Certainly there are those that prey on those that chase the latest and greatest but the end result is that it creates a more diverse field. I love, for example, the annual las Calaveras release by Crown Heads and the Tatuaje Monters, the Viaje seasonal releases and so on.
I never said that some of the new stuff isn't good, nor that some of the innovation isn't good. Hey, I like the diversity. However, neither is all of it good.

Some of these old venerable brands age well, growing in complexity and with flavors that meld wonderfully. And what is really great is that some of them have stood the test of time well, you can pick up a box today and they taste much the same as they did 'back in the day.'

What will show me the best if these innovations is good, is if the cigars stand the test of time. By that I mean, will they age well? Will they stand the test of time? Will individual cigars age well, maturing in complexity, or will they just get bland and boring (some I know have). Will individual blend/cigars be similar, hopefully the same, when you go to buy another box?

I can go pick up a Punch Rothschild Double Maduro, or an El Rey del Mundo Robusto today, and the flavors will remind me of my youth and smoking those same sticks. I just got a box of AF Rothschilds, and was amazed how similar they are to the ones I remember from long ago.

And, I think that is why some makers keep putting out new stuff as the old stuff disappears. It is truly hard to make blends that are consistent from year to year.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Great topic!

For me, the ones I put in this category are Alec Bradley Maxx and Nub Maduro. Two cigars I loved early on in my smoking career and still love to this day. My humidor is never without them.

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
There's a couple that I really like and still don't hesitate to smoke them...

Oliva O - love these with coffee after breakfast.
MoW RN and Fallin Angel - My 2 favorite AJF blends and like them while working outside.
AF Short Stories and Spanish Lonsdale - the most consistently quality budget smoke IMO.
I used to try alot of DE singles from the local B&M when I started smoking cigars...everything was a complete let down. I quit buying anything from DE after finding some great companies that actually make good cigars...

LADC and Jericho Hill was probably the 2 smokes that really made me branch out and find some amazing sticks out there.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There's a couple that I really like and still don't hesitate to smoke them...

Oliva O - love these with coffee after breakfast.
MoW RN and Fallin Angel - My 2 favorite AJF blends and like them while working outside.
AF Short Stories and Spanish Lonsdale - the most consistently quality budget smoke IMO.
I used to try alot of DE singles from the local B&M when I started smoking cigars...everything was a complete let down. I quit buying anything from DE after finding some great companies that actually make good cigars...

LADC and Jericho Hill was probably the 2 smokes that really made me branch out and find some amazing sticks out there.
Still my go to morning smoke! Great smoke!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P2K
Still smoke FDO in the yard every now and then
AF green label
CAO - I've always been a fan of pretty much all the lines
and my first cuban is and will always be my favorite cc. RASS

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got started with Joya de Nicaragua and I still enjoy those.

ETA: How could I forget?? Fuente Hemingway Short Story.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 (all of them)
Rock Patel Vintage 1999 (pairs perfect with Zaya rum ;))
Tatuaje Black
Padron Anniversary (which I feel is timeless)
Ashton ESG

driver

Attitude + Effort = Results
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Padron 3000 have a box that 5+ years old from the beginning of finding that there was craft cigar makers and not just the big guys. Still love the way padron 3000 Smoke when that box is gone I'll buy abother.

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

La Gloria Cubana

Agreed for the most part.
I do however think the monumental boom is awaiting the entrance of Cuban tobacco into the hands of blenders that will make blends using Dominican Honduran Nicaraguan tobacco to give the market something it's never had.
I think then we could see some crazy explosion of here today gone tomorrow brands or lines that could be interesting.

MrZ

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Onyx reserve
Diesel Unholy Cocktail
Diesel Unlimited
CAO MX2
All really good smokes imho