What's new

Cigars that have Survived your Noob Journey

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Fuente Short story. First cigar I ever purchased in a B&M, and still my all time favorite smoke, uncluding the cc's I've burned. Wonderful taste, perfect size. Wish the price point was lower, but quality ain't cheap. Lol

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Started my journey as a Fuente whore, proudly still a Fuente whore. Specifically the Hemingway line (oh sweet Maduro Work of Art, how I miss thee)

Shortly after joining this board, I was introduced to a few that I still really enjoy. And since I joined this board within a couple of weeks after deciding to get into cigars, I figure this list counts:
  • Feral Flying Pig
  • Comacho Triple Maduro
  • Liga #9
  • Undercrown
  • My Father

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Fuente Short story. First cigar I ever purchased in a B&M, and still my all time favorite smoke, uncluding the cc's I've burned. Wonderful taste, perfect size. Wish the price point was lower, but quality ain't cheap. Lol
Yup - that's the one that got me hooked. My wife and I were at the Paris resort in Vegas and I wanted to watch the Blackhawks game. I grabbed a Short Story on the advice of the guy at the Davidoff kiosk (because he could sell me a $6 cigar for $14), and the rest is history.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cohiba Lanceros. It was my very first cigar. In my first two years of smoking, that’s all I ever smoked. We had chests of them in the house all given to my father, but he was more of a cigarette smoker, so he let me at them. Once they ran out, I finally started smoking the rest of the Cohiba line and branched out from there.

I still go back to Cohiba Lanceros, but I understand that they’re not the same. The tobaccos grown today are completely different and many Lanceros aren’t even made at the Laguito factory. I guess I do it more for nostalgia’s sake, but I still enjoy them.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
The cigars that I still smoke that I also smoked within the first 6 months of getting into the hobby are Oliva V's (thanks @StogieNinja) and Fuente 8-5-8s.
The interesting thing is, I dont smoke either of those anymore. The 858's don't appeal, and I've really gotten away from ligero-heavy stuff.

I was trying to think of stuff that survived from way back in the day. It's not much, since I went from pretty much a maduro/high-octane smoker to a medium-bodied smoker, so I transitioned away from almost everything.

The only ones I can think of I still really like from early on are the My Father core line and the DPG Blue. I would mention some of the Tatuaje brown label but they seem to have fallen off lately.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
The ones that have always been in my rotation are DPG Blue Coronas and Tat Brown Corona Gordas, easily picked up off the auction sites for way under MSRP. I still reach for Tat Verocu 9s as well.

I just picked up a box of DPG Cuban Classics 1950's on the cheap. I used to smoke a ton of these when I was just getting into cigars and now I remember why. They used to be considered Pepin Power Houses but relative to today's Ligero-heavy smokes these are a nice medium bodied cigar.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
DPG Cuban Classics?!

Oh snap... I forgot all about those. They still in production? I guess I got distracted by all the razzle dazzle of the new stuff, that I forgot about those.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my first that I would consistently buy as a single was a Jericho Hill. I don't know why I picked it up, didn't know anything about it but just gravitated toward it.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Punch Punch probably go back the furthest for me, and I always have some in the humi. That said, if anyone is sitting on on a ton of El Credito's or El Rico Habanos from around 1997, I'll take them off your hands.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The smoke that I still go to were from a time when I wouldn't have ever considered my own humidor, but after the time I quit buying Garcia y Vegas and the like.
Padron X000's
Montecristo Classic No. 3 (My favorite morning coffee stick)