What's new

Coffee Roasting

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
@ChuckMejia I will agree that the beans from sweet Maria's do look better. The proof will be in testing this out. Will let these rest until Friday, will try each on their own then try blending them 50/50

Lately they've been taking their sweet time packaging and shipping but the quality is still great!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Lately they've been taking their sweet time packaging and shipping but the quality is still great!
These actually packaged and shipped pretty fast. I will say that my buddy/business partner who used to be a green coffee buyer for Starbucks was pretty impressed with the Brazilian/Colombian blend I roasted from the homeroastcoffee.com offerings. If looks are any indication he will be blown away by these. I don't want to wait to try these but I know I will taste a grassiness from these being so freshly roasted if I don't.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
The beans I've had from home roast always tasted okay but never had the consistent look as SM did. I've used a few suppliers but SM is and will be my go to for now even if the shipping is crazy.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
The beans I've had from home roast always tasted okay but never had the consistent look as SM did. I've used a few suppliers but SM is and will be my go to for now even if the shipping is crazy.
My last order of 4 lbs the shipping was reasonable, not much more than home roast and the cost of the beans was comparable as well. Sweet Maria's for me as well from now on although there is a roaster close to me that I plan to approach and ask if they will sell me green coffee.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I've roasted about 7 or 8 batches since I've started and I've enjoyed it very much. However, I have a hard time getting the French Roast that I like. I started out roasting for about 5 minutes, at what I thought was soon after the second crack, and my last batch I was up to 10 minutes. Still tasty, but not dark roasted as I thought it would be by then. Is my air popper hot enough? It's an "Air Crazy", made by West Bend.

I'm know this thread had many suggestions for the best air popper, but if you would spare me the time of searching the posts again, please would someone tell me the best popper to use?

I really enjoy the coffees I have made, I just want em darker. I hope to try new beans from around the world an even to mix some together to make my own blends as I get better at this. When I do get better, I'd love to swap with you guys and get feed back and advice on what I'm doing.

Thanks guys.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I have been purchasing primarily from sweetmarias since I started roasting. I have tried a few others over the years but none have had their consistency or varied selection. I have pretty much stopped looking for other options. If anyone is looking for larger amounts of coffee (50 pounds or more) they have a companion site calledd Coffee Shrub. If you really want coffee roaster envy take a peek at the site.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I got the Behmore in yesterday! Very excited.. I overworked the machine a bit today. Did the burn in cycle and roasted two half pound batches.

Unfotunately I goofed a little on the first batch. With this machine, you need to pay attention because at 75% through the cycle, it'll go into cool down mode if you don't hit the start button. This "feature" is to prevent overheating the beans/machine. I wasn't paying close enough attention and missed it completely! The beans were a little on the light side, 1st crack had just started as it was entering the cool down period. I actually made a cup of coffee with this batch already made through the aeropress, and it wasn't half bad. Better than store bought already so I have hopes that it'll be pretty good in the morning. I forget what beans these are. I have it written down upstairs though.

The next batch I paid attention better to. I manually put it into cool down mode after the beans had completed first crack.

Looking forward to coffee in the morning!

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I got the Behmore in yesterday! Very excited.. I overworked the machine a bit today. Did the burn in cycle and roasted two half pound batches.

Unfotunately I goofed a little on the first batch. With this machine, you need to pay attention because at 75% through the cycle, it'll go into cool down mode if you don't hit the start button. This "feature" is to prevent overheating the beans/machine. I wasn't paying close enough attention and missed it completely! The beans were a little on the light side, 1st crack had just started as it was entering the cool down period. I actually made a cup of coffee with this batch already made through the aeropress, and it wasn't half bad. Better than store bought already so I have hopes that it'll be pretty good in the morning. I forget what beans these are. I have it written down upstairs though.

The next batch I paid attention better to. I manually put it into cool down mode after the beans had completed first crack.

If you find that you don't like the Behmore, I'll trade you a whirley pop for it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
18   0   0

If you find that you don't like the Behmore, I'll trade you a whirley pop for it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I use this one... I can load 1/2 lb at a time and usually roast every 3 days

Been using it for months zero issues and great roasts
I was very happy with the roasts i did on my air popper. while it lasted. the one i had wouldn't do more than half a cup of beans, but for my roasts turned out great.

then it died. i had the one that sweet marias sells. it was blue. i suspect blue doesn't work as well as red.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
That auto shutoff is stupid. At the very least they should have some kind of sound when it's on. I've been sitting by the roaster having a cigar a few times and missed it

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Trying a blend 1 part Yemen 2 parts Guatemalan
Well... IDK if I should thank you or be upset, but after showing my wife this thread, she told me she's been researching the Behmor 1600 as well and some of your posts put the nail in the coffin. We ordered one last night and 6lbs from Sweet Maria's. I have faith in the wife as she use to barista and run a shop back in the day but this will be our first time roasting so I am excited to dive into this.

Will post up when the roaster and coffee come in. Happy to join in on this thread. :)

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
That auto shutoff is stupid. At the very least they should have some kind of sound when it's on. I've been sitting by the roaster having a cigar a few times and missed it
The Gene Cafe does not have an auto shutoff. Just saying:happy: