What's new

Coffee Roasting

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That auto shutoff is stupid. At the very least they should have some kind of sound when it's on. I've been sitting by the roaster having a cigar a few times and missed it
So I just went to Behmor's site looking to see if anyone had asked the question about the beep. They did and behmor responded.

In short, doesn't sound like it's going to happen anytime soon. Maybe they'll have something that'll be more helpful in the connected version they're coming out with.

Please add a "Beep" feature

I’ve always stated from the time we shipped the first roaster that any changes we made would, wherever humanly possible, be retro-fittable to all versions and more importantly cost effect for everyone. Based on that promise, when we set about designing the new programs we sought to use all the PCB's designs we currently had in place by adding a 2nd layer of programming to the main memory. By doing this, we could create a board that expanded the functionality, be relatively easy to install and affordable for everyone.

Had we gone to a beeper (something we considered) , it would have required we add a sound chip. That in turn, would have required 2 PCB’s - both our power boards, as well as control boards be fully re-engineered/ redesigned. These changes/redesigns not only would have required far more time but far more money as well. To do this would have also required we fully re-certify all components and systems. These factors alone would have led to the upgrade going from $49 to somewhere close to $150, an almost 300% increase. This would have greatly reduced the number of people able to afford the upgrade and added another level on installation that could have made the swap more daunting and difficult to some, even further limiting the number of people who would or could utilize this upgrade. This says nothing of the fact that had we not recognized all the other issues as noted, and simply gone ahead with the beeper, we would be inviting people to walk away from the roaster because now there would be an auditory warning for them to rely on. The walking away is the very thing we are trying to prevent.

Add all of this together, and the best move was to keep the format we had and have the warning appear at the same time in every roast depending on weight.

Having invented the roaster myself, and with100% certainty having performed more roasts than any other person with a Behmor, no one could have been as diligent as I, yet it required only 1 "oops" for me to retrain my 60-year-old self to this feature. We understand the frustration of losing some beans, but since this new feature has been added not one person has reported an issue because they walked from the roaster, or had something occur that distracted them from overseeing the roaster while roasting coffee. Yes, some have lost a few dollars in beans, and as much as we too cringe at that as well as understand the frustration, we’d cringe more and be beyond frustration if a situation ever arose that led to things far worse than losing a few dollars in beans.

I hope that helps clarify,
Behmor

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The Genecafe was also like 200 more!

I agree with you @Wicket it definitely needs a sound notification - that's the first thing I said to my wife after I got done cursing myself :)
I hear you on the cost. To be honest when the Gene Cafe dies I am not sure I am going to replace it with another one because of the cost difference with the Behmor.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I hear you on the cost. To be honest when the Gene Cafe dies I am not sure I am going to replace it with another one because of the cost difference with the Behmor.
Hottop KN-8828P-2K (or other similarly expensive roaster) or bust! haha

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well... Today is the day of my wife and I's first coffee roasting experience!
Set up on the Balcony, making sure we read all the instructions, weigh everything just right, etc etc.
Untitled by Shift_Six, on Flickr

First roast coming along nicely...

Waited to just after first crack, started the cool down process... Everything looks great, we pull it and start shaking out the chaff over the balcony trash can... Then the latch on the drum opens. :arghh::rage::sorry::drowning:
Fuck.

Ok starting back up again we roasted a Nicaraguan just past City (looks a touch darker than it is due to the lighting on the balcony)

Then we did a few more. (again,color and lighting is a bit off due to the balcony) but even with that... we over cooked the Sumatra lol

Ethiopian

Nicaraguan Roast 1

Nicaraguan Roast 2

And the Sumatra is the overly dark one in the group picture...
So far so good. Only thing thats going to be challenging is replicating a roast exactly... but After the first 4 1/4lb trials I'm not upset.
Now the toughest part... Letting them rest before we can drink them.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
@Shift_Six reread the instructions too. they recommend hitting the "C" button when you hear the very first pop of first crack. it'll change the countdown timer - I've been doing that an it seems to work pretty well. I think it'd be a good starting point to use as a baseline.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Shift_Six reread the instructions too. they recommend hitting the "C" button when you hear the very first pop of first crack. it'll change the countdown timer - I've been doing that an it seems to work pretty well. I think it'd be a good starting point to use as a baseline.
We did just that for 2 (1/4lb) roasts, then did two others in full manual, then tried to roast the Sumatra into 2nd crack and it got away from us lol
Since the Behmor's cool down is still inside the hot oven that Sumatra over cooked and we should have pulled it/ started cool down sooner.

Basically just taking bunches of notes and roasting in different ways with 1/4lb at a time to see what we like & works best for us. But definitely having fun.
We taste tested the lighter Nicaraguan and Eithiopian tonight, and both were good and distinctly different.. But we're going to let them rest longer & try a few more roasts to see if we can get them even better

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
We did just that for 2 (1/4lb) roasts, then did two others in full manual, then tried to roast the Sumatra into 2nd crack and it got away from us lol
Since the Behmor's cool down is still inside the hot oven that Sumatra over cooked and we should have pulled it/ started cool down sooner.

Basically just taking bunches of notes and roasting in different ways with 1/4lb at a time to see what we like & works best for us. But definitely having fun.
We taste tested the lighter Nicaraguan and Eithiopian tonight, and both were good and distinctly different.. But we're going to let them rest longer & try a few more roasts to see if we can get them even better
I let one go thru the end of second crack and it was ultra charred. the manual says don't let it go more than 10 or 15 seconds into second crack - i can believe it based on my limited experience! (have a 6 or so half pound roasts so far). I'm really glad I got the Behmor. Looking forward to branching out to something other than P1 Auto :)

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
I'm almost always using P5 and when 1st crack gets rolling drop down to P3. After 1st crack I give it maybe 1-3 minutes and hit cool thats almost always just before 2nd crack but not always. For my taste I like it to end just before or maybe a crack into 2nd.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I got some beans in a sample pack from Sweet Marias, they were a Mexican from La Lagunilla, my wife really liked it but now I can't seem to find the same beans from that farm. Anyone know any other good green bean sources I might be able to try and find them? In the mean time I'll just try some other Mexicans to see I can at least get close.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
I got some beans in a sample pack from Sweet Marias, they were a Mexican from La Lagunilla, my wife really liked it but now I can't seem to find the same beans from that farm. Anyone know any other good green bean sources I might be able to try and find them? In the mean time I'll just try some other Mexicans to see I can at least get close.
That sucks thats 2 Mexican beans I liked that I can't find now. I'll let you know if I do at some point

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Sweet Marias does not have large amounts of their coffees. If you roast something you like go grab as much as you can handle. It can go quickly. I have missed some good coffees but other times I have picked up 5 pounds and have enjoyed it for a while.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Sweet Marias does not have large amounts of their coffees. If you roast something you like go grab as much as you can handle. It can go quickly. I have missed some good coffees but other times I have picked up 5 pounds and have enjoyed it for a while.
Yep, learned that the hard way lol. Gives me a reason to experiment though.