What's new

Coffee Roasting

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
you need a good deal more motion and lower heat.
if your popper has a wire you may want to remove it and install a blade like the other popper brand.
a piece of aluminum,a drill and a pop rivet and you are set,my popper just finshed its 370 th batch and is going strong.

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Excellent. I'm pretty sure @BrewinHooligan told me to, "crank it like it owes me money". Good start though. Give it a day or so and grind it and try it.
Thanks brother! So far it's received good reviews from my coffee drinking friends. Not bad for the first time. It is flavorful but very smooth. Kind of tastes like a cold brew with some earthy notes. I think I'll try a little higher heat next time though.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Getting this week's supply roasted.....Kenya Nyeri Kiamaini C-grade that I got from Sweetmarias a few months ago. I think the biggest difference is the smaller size of the beans when it comes to the lower grade, but for less than $100 shipped for 20lbs I took a chance. Roasting on my new Behmor is taking some practice....it's not made to do the darker roasts, which I what I usually got from my popcorn popper. You basically have to measure out 12 ounces of beans and set the roast time/temp for 1lb. Tinkering with lighter roasts than I'm used to is bringing out a whole new dimension to the cup....my daily hardware is a large Chemex with a Kone metal filter (because I'm too lazy to even mess with the paper filters...).

There's some chaff left on the beans, but man you should see the tons of chaff this bean creates....some of the most I've seen in all my years of roasting.

IMG_20160807_110233.jpg

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So we are moving into a new house and have to start roasting outside, due to working smoke alarms in the house. For those who use a whirley pop and roast outside, what do you use for heat source? Was thinking about just getting a single propane burner from like Amazon or something, any suggestions?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So we are moving into a new house and have to start roasting outside, due to working smoke alarms in the house. For those who use a whirley pop and roast outside, what do you use for heat source? Was thinking about just getting a single propane burner from like Amazon or something, any suggestions?
I roast indoors with my whirly popper and have yet to set off smoke alarms, however I keep my roasts lighter and rarely get into second crack so my smoke production may be less than some. A good hood fan over the stove usually does the trick. Most people that I see roast outdoors use the side burner on their propane grill but if you have a propane burner like a turkey fryer that would certainly work, just keep that flame low because those are designed to pump out a lot of heat.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
This week has been a week of change for me. Been eating healthy, joined a gym, and no alcohol during the week. Got home from the gym tonight and realized I was out of coffee which I will need to work overtime tomorrow. At least I don't have to give up my coffee with my new changes, no cream or sugar for me, I'm sweet enough.

This has become my favorite blend: 50/50 Guatemalan and Tanzanian peaberry.