What's new

Coffee Roasting

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Round 2. These turned out better than the first batch. Maybe City + bordering on Full City? I think I figured out my stove setting. I'm still feeling out first and second crack and what it sounds like. I thought I heard a "rice crispy" sound and pulled them a little after.
The lighting in my kitchen sucks but this is tonight's batch.

Here's one with both batches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Round 2. These turned out better than the first batch. Maybe City + bordering on Full City? I think I figured out my stove setting. I'm still feeling out first and second crack and what it sounds like. I thought I heard a "rice crispy" sound and pulled them a little after.
The lighting in my kitchen sucks but this is tonight's batch.

Here's one with both batches.

Hell yes man! If you don't care for the taste of the first batch as much as the second try brewing a cup with the two blended together and see if it's any better.

Your second roast is much more even than the first so I definitely think you have pretty much dialed in your temps. First crack should be pretty easy to hear, it's a lot like popcorn popping. Second crack is much harder to hear, especially over the noise of the whirley popper

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Another hint of advice with the whirly popper. I seem to get my most even roasts when my batch size is around one pound. It takes a little longer to roast by a minute or two compared to an 8oz batch, but I get more consistent results that way. If I want a blend, I roast all the varieties in the blend together at the same time.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I'm probably gonna run a cup of each through the AeroPress tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ran a cup of the light roast through the AeroPress this morning. The cup was weak and very light. It was grassy and tea like with a noticeable acidity. Not terrible but not great.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Another hint of advice with the whirly popper. I seem to get my most even roasts when my batch size is around one pound. It takes a little longer to roast by a minute or two compared to an 8oz batch, but I get more consistent results that way. If I want a blend, I roast all the varieties in the blend together at the same time.
I'm gonna try that once I get a little more dialed in on the whole process. Right now I'm working with the stuff that came in the sampler so I'm not potentially wasting a whole pound of beans.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'm gonna try that once I get a little more dialed in on the whole process. Right now I'm working with the stuff that came in the sampler so I'm not potentially wasting a whole pound of beans.

Absolutely and you are definitely going about things the right way. Small batches and varied roast levels to learn your likes and dislikes is exactly what you should be doing. We can tell you all kinds of things, but in the end finding what works best for YOU and what YOU like is what matters the most.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
nice looking batch.you are on target,I would throw that first batch out,and move on.
I agree you will get more uniform roasting with batches larger than 8 oz.
I usually do 12 to 16 oz at a time.
keep records of every roast,over time it will help you figure out your best roast for each bean.
when ordering coffee at first,skip around the world and try different areas.
do try co-roasting different coffees,it can surprise you. keep records!!

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
@Nacho Daddy, thanks for the advice. I took over the dry erase board that the wife uses for groceries. Tons of notes scribbled on it. I probably will pitch the first roast. I just made two cups of the last roast and I thinks it's pretty damn good. First time I enjoyed coffee with no sugar. So, here's a newb question, can I reuse the re-sealable bags with the one-way valve?

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Air popper, nice. How long have you been roasting?

It's a modified poppery II. I separated the heating coil from the cuircut so I can operate the fan and heat seperate. Took out the temp limit switch and hooked the heater up to a router speed controller, so I can control temp. Using a grill thermocouple for bean mass temp. It's a hokey setup but an intermediate to a future (better) custom build. I've been roasting for maybe 4 months now I think, give or take.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
@Nacho Daddy, thanks for the advice. I took over the dry erase board that the wife uses for groceries. Tons of notes scribbled on it. I probably will pitch the first roast. I just made two cups of the last roast and I thinks it's pretty damn good. First time I enjoyed coffee with no sugar. So, here's a newb question, can I reuse the re-sealable bags with the one-way valve?

I have re-used those bags with the one way valve just fine. I stopped buying those though and just use ziplocks unless I'm giving as gifts around the holidays.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Rating - 100%
106   0   0