What's new

Coffee Roasting

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So I have been thinking about stepping up my game and saving up for a legit 1-2kg roaster. Don't get me wrong my whirley pop is still awesome but the big ones are just so cool looking
https://millcityroasters.com/shop/coffee-roasters/1kg-gas-coffee-roaster/
https://millcityroasters.com/shop/coffee-roasters/2kg-gas-coffee-roaster/

So. Much. Want!!! I have been toying with the idea of roasting commercially and that is exactly where I would start. For the home hobbyist that is extreme overkill. But "smoke em if you got em"

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I've been thinking of this for a while so last night I purchased some green beans and a Whirley Pop starter kit from Sweet Maria's and a Baratza conical burr grinder. I'm gonna give this coffee roasting thing a shot.......like I need another hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I've been thinking of this for a while so last night I purchased some green beans and a Whirley Pop starter kit from Sweet Maria's and a Baratza conical burr grinder. I'm gonna give this coffee roasting thing a shot.......like I need another hobby.

Welcome aboard! Storebought coffee isn't gonna cut it anymore so I apologize about that for convenience sake, but for the cost and quality you really can't beat home roast.

If you don't have one already, buy a digital thermometer with a wired temp probe you can hang inside the popper through the side of the lid. Use medium heat on the stove and pre-heat the popper to at least 350f before adding the beans. Crank that thing like it owes you money until your temp reads usually over 420f (about 10-13min) and listen carefully for first and second crack. First crack is pretty loud and hard to miss, sounds a lot like popcorn popping. I hardly ever go all the way to second crack because I prefer a lighter roast, but if you like dark roast you want to pull right at second crack because it will continue to darken after you pull it from the heat and start to cool and much past second crack and it will start to taste burnt. Before long you won't pay much attention to the thermometer and can get a feel for where you are at in the roast by listening and smell. I suggest starting with 1/4lb roasts starting out and playing around with the roast levels to figure what hits your tastes best. Feel free to pm me with any questions you have about roasting in the whirly popper.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Welcome aboard! Storebought coffee isn't gonna cut it anymore so I apologize about that for convenience sake, but for the cost and quality you really can't beat home roast.

If you don't have one already, buy a digital thermometer with a wired temp probe you can hang inside the popper through the side of the lid. Use medium heat on the stove and pre-heat the popper to at least 350f before adding the beans. Crank that thing like it owes you money until your temp reads usually over 420f (about 10-13min) and listen carefully for first and second crack. First crack is pretty loud and hard to miss, sounds a lot like popcorn popping. I hardly ever go all the way to second crack because I prefer a lighter roast, but if you like dark roast you want to pull right at second crack because it will continue to darken after you pull it from the heat and start to cool and much past second crack and it will start to taste burnt. Before long you won't pay much attention to the thermometer and can get a feel for where you are at in the roast by listening and smell. I suggest starting with 1/4lb roasts starting out and playing around with the roast levels to figure what hits your tastes best. Feel free to pm me with any questions you have about roasting in the whirly popper.
The kit came with a meat type/candy thermometer but I have a probe with the cord so I might use that. I used to think that I liked dark roast but from what I've read doing that to these beans will take away from the origin flavors of the coffee. The kit also came with a sampler of coffee so I thought I could use that to experiment with first. Do you get a lot of smoke when you roast? Most of the beans I got are recommended at City to City+. If so my plan was to use my propane grill I have to do it outside. I picked up a pound each of El Salvador Finca Matalapa Bourbon, Nicaragua Acopio Suyatal, Brazil Dry-Process Pedra Branca and Kenya Nyeri Kagunyu Peaberry.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
The kit came with a meat type/candy thermometer but I have a probe with the cord so I might use that. I used to think that I liked dark roast but from what I've read doing that to these beans will take away from the origin flavors of the coffee. The kit also came with a sampler of coffee so I thought I could use that to experiment with first. Do you get a lot of smoke when you roast? Most of the beans I got are recommended at City to City+. If so my plan was to use my propane grill I have to do it outside. I picked up a pound each of El Salvador Finca Matalapa Bourbon, Nicaragua Acopio Suyatal, Brazil Dry-Process Pedra Branca and Kenya Nyeri Kagunyu Peaberry.

I pull right after first crack and don't get too much smoke roasting up to a pound at a time. It makes the house smell amazing in my opinion and the wife likes it too. Much past first crack and it will start to smell burnt and stink up the house though. What you have read is correct. The darker the roast, the less of the actual bean you taste and at that point are really only tasting the roast. Some people like that, and that's perfectly fine, but at that point fresh home roasted coffee isn't going to provide you anything much different from something like Starbucks where they have high roast levels to keep the bean from tasting stale if it sits on the shelf a little while.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
My gear showed up this week and I decided to roast 8oz of Sumatra that came with the with the sampler. I'm pretty sure I need to play with the burner a little to figure out where it needs to be. I chose the Sumatra because SM said it's good between FC and Vienna. I figured if I screwed it up and roasted it too much I would be at Vienna. I was shooting for City +/Full City. Here's a picture of the final product. You guys that have been roasting for a while, I need some critiques.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
My gear showed up this week and I decided to roast 8oz of Sumatra that came with the with the sampler. I'm pretty sure I need to play with the burner a little to figure out where it needs to be. I chose the Sumatra because SM said it's good between FC and Vienna. I figured if I screwed it up and roasted it too much I would be at Vienna. I was shooting for City +/Full City. Here's a picture of the final product. You guys that have been roasting for a while, I need some critiques.

Looks pretty light on the roast compared to what you were going for. You may want to try cranking the popper just a little faster to get a bit more even roast.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Looks pretty light on the roast compared to what you were going for. You may want to try cranking the popper just a little faster to get a bit more even roast.
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'll have to see how it tastes after a day or so of rest. It seemed to be taking longer than I expected and I was having a hard time hearing the "crack" over the cranking. I didn't want to scorch it so I may have been a little gun shy for my first roast. I'm just glad I didn't turn it into charcoal. My pre-roast weight and post roast weight was about 15% less. I started with 8.08oz and ended with about 6.9oz. What temp do you usually preheat to before you put the beans in?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'll have to see how it tastes after a day or so of rest. It seemed to be taking longer than I expected and I was having a hard time hearing the "crack" over the cranking. I didn't want to scorch it so I may have been a little gun shy for my first roast. I'm just glad I didn't turn it into charcoal. My pre-roast weight and post roast weight was about 15% less. I started with 8.08oz and ended with about 6.9oz. What temp do you usually preheat to before you put the beans in?

I normally pre-heat to 350f and keep the stove on medium heat for the whole roast. I pull the beans when I'm reading between 410-420 depending on the beans and how fast they get to first crack.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0

That's a very light roast but no worries you can always do another batch . I'm guessing you will get a grassy taste but some people are okay with that. Brewin knows the whirly so I'll defer to him for expertise on your method. Welcome to the club!

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
some coffees are very uneven looking when roasted due to picking before full ripeness,your roast was very uneven,probably not hot enough.
use the thermometer as a guide but listen for the crack.
Your light roasts will have more acidity and fruity notes,med dark will pick up caramel.Brazilian beans can take a lot of roasting and still have flavor,but really you should take coffee off the heat after 2nd crack.You can let it "coast" a while,as the heat dissipates.
You want to stop the roast before the beans start looking oily,this shows the oils are being driven out of the beans.
I co-roast a lot,I use an African with a central American,or a Sumatra,Papua with Columbia.
The only beans I do not buy are Indian,they consistently taste dirty to me,and have bad aromas.