What's new

Coffee Roasting

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I have always wondered why you never see this blue mountain stuff in the realm of third wave/specialty coffee. I assume it's because, when compared to specialty coffee, it's not very good. But I've never seen any to actually try. Just speculation on my part.

Love, LoRoK.
I bought a bag of blue mountain beans (Marley Coffee) but it wasn't that good and it turned out to be mostly a blend. I am just starting to get into roasting and I plan to eventually buy and roast some.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
I have had my fair share of real Jamaican Blue Mountain and love it. Very much like CC's lots of fakes around but the real deal to me is amazing. Haven't had any of the Haitian yet I'll keep you guys posted later tonight after my Columbian is gone. Burman said low acidity with nutty chocolate and a hint of a floral. Funny thing the smell before first crack. I was sitting in the garage thinking man i never have stinky feet wtf. Reached over and opened the bag of unroasted beans feet. After first crack it was a kind of pipe tobacco and chocolate scent very pleasing.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Yessir, you want all those shiny oils to stay inside the beans. Actually, the darker the roast the lower the caffeine in your coffee.
So after burning two more attempts, and re watching the how to videos I found my problem. The popper I got blows hot air up from the bottom, not the sides. The one I got was on the approved list, but it must be a new cheaper version. I was getting very un even roasting and burning my beans inside of 3 minutes.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So after burning two more attempts, and re watching the how to videos I found my problem. The popper I got blows hot air up from the bottom, not the sides. The one I got was on the approved list, but it must be a new cheaper version. I was getting very un even roasting and burning my beans inside of 3 minutes.
Try a smaller batch size and see if you can hold the popper at an angle to get the beans to spin. That should help even the roast at least but you definitely want to slow that roast time down as well.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Try a smaller batch size and see if you can hold the popper at an angle to get the beans to spin. That should help even the roast at least but you definitely want to slow that roast time down as well.
I angled, I shook, I swirled, I swore, then I ordered the right tool for the job. I'll revisit this in a few days.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
My air popper blows from the bottom too, I just stir occasionally and try to keep my batches under 4oz. I am still learning how to roast myself, trial and error dude. You'll figure it out. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine blows up from the bottom as well. I cut the side of the housing away and use a tiny personal fan to keep things a bit cooler in there to prolong the roast. Works like a charm :)