What's new

Coffee Roasting

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
View attachment 95760
Ok, another attempt. It's not right yet, but at least it's not burnt. I'll figure this out eventually
A little uneven but really not that bad. I think you will be happily surprised when you go to drink this one. It's best when you can let it rest 24-48 hours post roast, but I usually never plan that well in advance so I'm drinking it the next morning and find the flavors are typically a bit muted when it hasn't had a proper rest.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a Fresh Roast SR500 for about four years. Before that, Poppery I. Now I've ordered all the parts to put together a PID Poppery with my old equipment. Just gotta find the time to build it.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Reviving this bitch!!! Ok guys wanted to ask what's a good bean for beginners? Ideas thinking a kenya aa for the air popper. Large leeway for end roast range and a larger bean for the roasting agitation evenly. Also figured maybe a Ethiopian Yirgacheffe for a stovetop??? Thought that maybe because it takes well to an uneven roast characteristic? Need some insight fellas please. This is my sampler I have so far.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly new to roasting and have only done a nicaraguan and a yirgacheffe. I've found the yirg best with a high charge temp. I've still got a ton to learn, but my suggestion is to read a ton and then when you are sick and tired of reading about roasting, read a bit more.

My other suggestion is to pick an origin that you like and get several pounds of it. That will help you tune your roasting skills and learn your roaster. Also, it takes a few batches to learn the bean and how to roast it.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I'm fairly new to roasting and have only done a nicaraguan and a yirgacheffe. I've found the yirg best with a high charge temp. I've still got a ton to learn, but my suggestion is to read a ton and then when you are sick and tired of reading about roasting, read a bit more.

My other suggestion is to pick an origin that you like and get several pounds of it. That will help you tune your roasting skills and learn your roaster. Also, it takes a few batches to learn the bean and how to roast it.
Yeah do this :) especially considering the beans come and go frequently... i had a Nicaraguan limoncello Peabody that was phenom and now it's gone. 1 pound was not enough!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
keep records of amount roasted and time of roast.
This will pay off quickly.
you can adjust time and heat, do this in small increments.
You can roast by color or by the crack, remember coffee will get a little darker until you cool it down, but if you stop after first crack you will be ok.
Then roast more of the same batch and stop it later if you want a darker roast.
Different coffees can have different moisture levels, this is why I roast by the crack.
Sometimes I roast two different coffees together, can make a great blend.
If your beans get oily, you have roasted too fast, but they can still be used.;)

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
keep records of amount roasted and time of roast.
This will pay off quickly.
you can adjust time and heat, do this in small increments.
You can roast by color or by the crack, remember coffee will get a little darker until you cool it down, but if you stop after first crack you will be ok.
Then roast more of the same batch and stop it later if you want a darker roast.
Different coffees can have different moisture levels, this is why I roast by the crack.
Sometimes I roast two different coffees together, can make a great blend.
If your beans get oily, you have roasted too fast, but they can still be used.;)
Time also depends on temperature outside. Winter roasting takes longer, i guess kinda obviously. Crack is a great way to do it

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Reviving this bitch!!! Ok guys wanted to ask what's a good bean for beginners? Ideas thinking a kenya aa for the air popper. Large leeway for end roast range and a larger bean for the roasting agitation evenly. Also figured maybe a Ethiopian Yirgacheffe for a stovetop??? Thought that maybe because it takes well to an uneven roast characteristic? Need some insight fellas please. This is my sampler I have so far.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
The density of Kenyans does well with air roasting. Like has been said, keep lots of notes and enjoy the ride.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Impressive consistency with the heat gun!
The evenness of the roast this contraption can generate is astounding. I was going to invest in a Behmor, but figured I would try this route first and am glad I did. I only have $50 invested in my roaster between my heat gun and my thermocouples and the quality of the roasts that I'm capable of producing rivals anything out there. The only thing I cant do (yet) is data logging

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
The evenness of the roast this contraption can generate is astounding. I was going to invest in a Behmor, but figured I would try this route first and am glad I did. I only have $50 invested in my roaster between my heat gun and my thermocouples and the quality of the roasts that I'm capable of producing rivals anything out there. The only thing I cant do (yet) is data logging
Have you shown this off before?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Have you shown this off before?

In the "What Coffee are you drinking" thread, but definitely more appropriate here. Here is the contraption. The first picture was before installing the thermocouples. One probe measures the bean temps, the other measures the ambient temp of the roasting chamber. It is a really simple mod, I just use the dough setting to let the machine stir the beans while the heat gun adds the heat for roasting.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the "What Coffee are you drinking" thread, but definitely more appropriate here. Here is the contraption. The first picture was before installing the thermocouples. One probe measures the bean temps, the other measures the ambient temp of the roasting chamber. It is a really simple mod, I just use the dough setting to let the machine stir the beans while the heat gun adds the heat for roasting.
That’s fantastic. What’s the smoke output like?

I went head first into roasting and bought a dedicated home roaster that I found on Craigslist for a good deal. It looks like I could have saved a bundle.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
That’s fantastic. What’s the smoke output like?

I went head first into roasting and bought a dedicated home roaster that I found on Craigslist for a good deal. It looks like I could have saved a bundle.
The smoke output isn't outrageous. The chaff is the biggest issue actually. Due to the mess I've had to move my roasting outside

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went a little darker than I have been going on other batches. I’ll be interested to try this one. Unfortunately I charged quite a bit lower than I have been because I got distracted (though I usually charge pretty high). This is a washed yirgacheffe.