What's new

Coffee Roasting

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Ok fellas I finished my first roast ever. Used a air popper on a Kenyan aa from a local shop. Tried to be at the 426 to 436 city+ to full city range. Tried some pics with and without flash. Ide like to hear your opinion. I think I hit a pretty good consistency? Average roast time was 4:15 and took about 10 roast to do a pound. Ended up being 13.765 oz. In the end. Guess I'll have to report back on taste after a few days. Had a blast doing it too :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Ok experts! I need help. 2 questions. One, i bought green beans last year, are they still good? 2, I stopped roasting out of frustration. I know, learning curve. I like DARK roast, just this side of espresso dark and couldn’t seem to get there. I have the sweet Maria’s sampler and the recommended popcorn popper. I’d either get a light roast or dry the beans out. Any suggestions?

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Ok experts! I need help. 2 questions. One, i bought green beans last year, are they still good? 2, I stopped roasting out of frustration. I know, learning curve. I like DARK roast, just this side of espresso dark and couldn’t seem to get there. I have the sweet Maria’s sampler and the recommended popcorn popper. I’d either get a light roast or dry the beans out. Any suggestions?
Leave it longer

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
FYI espresso isn't a roast or a color.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Ok, bad example. Dark. Black. Void of light. I’m new at this. Help me out here :D
That's all the help I got. I just got my behmor a week ago, which is expressly not for dark roasting, and I'm still learning, and my beans are still coming out too dark for my liking. The best advice I have is to learn to like lighter roasts lol.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
That's all the help I got. I just got my behmor a week ago, which is expressly not for dark roasting, and I'm still learning, and my beans are still coming out too dark for my liking. The best advice I have is to learn to like lighter roasts lol.
Thanks ! I'll try to tweak my palate :ROFLMAO:

I've read the many thoughts on light Vs. dark roasts. I'm wondering if this journey will be like cigars. when I first got serious, it was dark wrappers only. then I learned to appreciate the lighter more subtle flavors. We'll see !

I'm thinking I can't achieve what I'm looking for using what I have, just thought I'd ask the braintrust around here.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Thanks ! I'll try to tweak my palate :ROFLMAO:

I've read the many thoughts on light Vs. dark roasts. I'm wondering if this journey will be like cigars. when I first got serious, it was dark wrappers only. then I learned to appreciate the lighter more subtle flavors. We'll see !

I'm thinking I can't achieve what I'm looking for using what I have, just thought I'd ask the braintrust around here.
Some air poppers have safety switches so they don't overheat... This may be the case with yours

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Some air poppers have safety switches so they don't overheat... This may be the case with yours
thanks !! I'll pay more attention next time I roast. getting cooler now, time to try again. Last years beans ok in your opinion? I did not store them in a cool dark place......

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Last year's beans should be ok. Are you using an air pooper or a whirly pop? If it's an air pooper they yea it may have an over heat safety feature. I used the whirly pop which I think is better than the air popper.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Last year's beans should be ok. Are you using an air pooper or a whirly pop? If it's an air pooper they yea it may have an over heat safety feature. I used the whirly pop which I think is better than the air popper.
I’m using an air popper. Maybe I need to invest in a whirlypop. Would that work on an outdoor grill? After seeing the mess, I’m not bringing this inside.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I’m using an air popper. Maybe I need to invest in a whirlypop. Would that work on an outdoor grill? After seeing the mess, I’m not bringing this inside.
I used mine on a grill, used the side burner. The main burner will work but not as good. We use the Behmor 1600 now and I still liked the whirly pop best so far. You can do practically any size batch in it.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
What kind of air popper do you have? YouTube safety temp bypass for coffee roasting. I had good luck with mine I just had to figure out the batch size each time. Ide start it up and let it pre heat some. Because there was no thermal mass it would only pre heat to about 215 or so. Figured out you can buy those cheap agricultural clay pearl rock garden things and they work great for a fluid bed pre heater but they're not exactly needed for the begging.
I could get very dark roast but it's more about a even roast IMO. I'll keep adding beans to the fluid bed until they just a little more than barely twirling around, you must also be able to see them jumping vertically a bit too. This is crucial because they need to be heated and agitated to get an even roast. As they take heat they'll loose moisture and and chaff and gain a better agitation. It's hard to go by sight and i don't know personally if ide trust my eye over an infrared thermometer.
It's nice with an air popper being about to just shoot it trend the temp for a 20.00 toaster. There are mods you can do for poppers but they involve variable frequency drives and potentiameters to adjust the fan output and heat output simultaneously but at that point spend the money on a real roaster if you're not into Franken roasters like us cool kids.

https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/using-sight-to-determine-degree-of-roast

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
And eventually you'll get a feel for how much energy you put into certain parts of roast it'll make some elements come out in taste. But with a fluid bed roaster it's very hard to achieve that. Looking to get a probat soon for the garage and maybe a fire roasting barrel too come spring.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
How high can it hold? Ide figure you should be able to put a city+ or full city right? Does it use quartz rods for the heating elements?