What's new

Coffee Roasting

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
D'oh! I almost made a new thread about this - I was only looking in the coffee and tea forum area. Seems like a better spot for this thread. But anyway..

All the coffee threads lately along with @jvonier bombing me a cold brew pot has repeaked my interest in making better coffee. I had researched all sorts of coffee stuff years ago so had some ideas about how I wanted to go about this.

I started with getting some better beans from a local coffee house. Misha's Coffee in Alexandria. I got some of their Ethiopia Yrgacheff. Damn nice stuff.

Then Jim bombed me that cold brewer. I've only made two pots so far, but doggone is it some fine stuff!

Now with all you guys talking about home roasting, and my previous interest in doing this, I decided to limp into it with a popcorn popper. I saw the conversations about the whirlypop, but standing there for ten minutes spinning that thing.... I know me. I'd do it once and never again, hence the popcorn popper. So I ordered a popper from Sweet Maria's along with their 8 pound green bean sampler.

And today, we roast! Roasted up about a third of a cup of beans this morning. They were in the popper for right at about five minutes. First crack was done and the beans went silent for about half a minute when I decided to pull them off. They were still a nice dull brown - I didn't want them to go oily. At least not this one. We'll try them out in the morning and see how it tastes!

It'll be a small pot. But I'm ok with that during my initial learning stages.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this idea of roasting your own beans is new to me. I've read every note in this thread with excitement and now I must try it. My goodness, the only thing I crave more than a good cigar, is a good cup of coffee. I have an air popper, but does one model work better than the others? I suffer from a hearing loss, so how loud is this "crack" that I'm reading about, cuz it sounds like the key to the whole operation.

Can someone offer me a website on the ABC's of what will be a new hobby of mine? :)

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Wow, this idea of roasting your own beans is new to me. I've read every note in this thread with excitement and now I must try it. My goodness, the only thing I crave more than a good cigar, is a good cup of coffee. I have an air popper, but does one model work better than the others? I suffer from a hearing loss, so how loud is this "crack" that I'm reading about, cuz it sounds like the key to the whole operation.

Can someone offer me a website on the ABC's of what will be a new hobby of mine? :)
Google sweet marias coffee

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Damn... I need to get down on this. before I do though, would anyone consider selling me some of what they made? I want to see how it compares to the fresh roast I buy before I decide if it's what I'm looking for.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Being new to this. I'd be than willing to "sell" you some when I get a decent roast together. I'm investing in a laser thermometer for the next roast. Probably roast a batch this week/early next week.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
This morning we drank up the roast from yesterday. It was pretty damn good to my taste! Very happy with it. I roasted another batch today of a different bean. Pulled this one off a few seconds into second crack. At least what i assume was second crack. There was about 1 minute between first and second crack - no idea if this is normal or not. These beans seem a little darker than yesterday's batch so we'll see if we like it as much.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Being new to this. I'd be than willing to "sell" you some when I get a decent roast together. I'm investing in a laser thermometer for the next roast. Probably roast a batch this week/early next week.

Well thank you. I guess I should have mentioned I drink lighter roasts. Light to medium roasts. If you don't roast to this level normally, I don't want to put you on the spot.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well thank you. I guess I should have mentioned I drink lighter roasts. Light to medium roasts. If you don't roast to this level normally, I don't want to put you on the spot.
I think you may be better off having one if the other roasters in here help you out. I have only done 2 batches. If the next one is better than the last 2 I'll hit you up.