What's new

Cohiba Behike 56 Review

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I have real 52's here, your first photo, label aside, gave it away for me. Just the foot of the cigar is bad, the outer leaf, the cap -- it just looks fake. I have two boxes of 52s, I haven't smoked one yet though.
Kinda odd first post.
ha! Good point, I've been lurking for awhile, stopped coming because the forum kept crashing/going down - but it seems to be stable now - I'll introduce myself at some point, take pics of my stash ... I've been collecting/smoking cigars for over 12 years.
Lol. Gotcha, man. Stop on over at the introductions thread & tell us about yourself. :)

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
So my B&M has a "special" drawer that I was looking through. Although this particular stick was priced at $50 and therefore out of my range, I inspected one based on what I learned by reading through this thread. To my newb eyes it seemed to pass the test. I felt more comfortable about grabbing the PSD4, RASS and a Juan López that the guy recommended.

So anyway, I'm grateful for this site and for all you guys do here. Thanks!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
went to a b&m over the weekend and was presented the secret stash also. he had about 15 behike 56. he pulled one out and after some quick inspection it seemed legit to me. Holo and lines inside the dead. he proposed $30 for it, but i just couldn't get past the fact that they were in a huge ziplock bag.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
he proposed $30 for it, but i just couldn't get past the fact that they were in a huge ziplock bag.
LOL... don't walk, but run away and don't look again. Even the cheapest legit vendors can't sell them for that.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
went to a b&m over the weekend and was presented the secret stash also. he had about 15 behike 56. he pulled one out and after some quick inspection it seemed legit to me. Holo and lines inside the dead. he proposed $30 for it, but i just couldn't get past the fact that they were in a huge ziplock bag.
The chance of a counterfeit are so high there not even worth it anymore, besides there are so many great cigars right here in the states that kick ass over many of the Cubans

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
The chance of a counterfeit are so high there not even worth it anymore, besides there are so many great cigars right here in the states that kick ass over many of the Cubans
Chances of a counterfeit are high if buying second hand, but not if buying from a trusted vendor.

That second point is entirely debatable, and I'd disagree for one reason only: in the last three years I've seen quite a number of guys switch from smoking predominantly NCs to smoking predominantly CCs. I've never met yet the guy who smoked predominantly CCs and transitioned to a primarily NC guy. Just doesn't happen.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Chances of a counterfeit are high if buying second hand, but not if buying from a trusted vendor.

That second point is entirely debatable, and I'd disagree for one reason only: in the last three years I've seen quite a number of guys switch from smoking predominantly NCs to smoking predominantly CCs. I've never met yet the guy who smoked predominantly CCs and transitioned to a primarily NC guy. Just doesn't happen.
Could that be because as people become more financially flush, they automatically gravitate toward the expensive and exclusive -- irrespective of actual quality?

Money don't buy class, or taste ;)

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Could that be because as people become more financially flush, they automatically gravitate toward the expensive and exclusive -- irrespective of actual quality?

Expensive and exclusive? Padrons are more expensive than the majority of CC's just for example.

I never understand this "debate" where people claim a cigar from a certain country is the best, end of story. Every person is different and cigar preferences are subjective. There is no right or wrong answer. To say that people smoke cubans because they are more expensive or elite is naive as well. The majority of the cuban cigars I buy are cheaper than the NC's I would buy like Ligas, Tats, Fuentes etc. I used to smoke the full flavored NC's because I enjoyed them and thought it was childish to see cuban cigar smokers say their cubans are the best. I believe it tastes the best to them, but to say they are the best, period is narrow minded. Over time, the more cuban cigars I smoked, the more I preferred them. Now I smoke 99% cubans simply because I prefer them over NC's and I still think it's foolish for cuban smokers to say they are the best. Flavor preference, pure and simple. Has nothing to do with cost, being elite, wanting something I shouldn't have etc. Sure there can be some Americans who just want to seem elite saying they have cuban cigars, but everyone I know that actually smokes cubans consistently do it because that's what they prefer.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1
Really even with big money I'd still be buying Roma Craft, Via Havana, Room 101, Ashton VSG, Kristoff Ligero Maduro, Illusione and Tatuaje over the magical Cuban's and it dose happen

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0

Expensive and exclusive? Padrons are more expensive than the majority of CC's just for example.

I never understand this "debate" where people claim a cigar from a certain country is the best, end of story. Every person is different and cigar preferences are subjective. There is no right or wrong answer. To say that people smoke cubans because they are more expensive or elite is naive as well. The majority of the cuban cigars I buy are cheaper than the NC's I would buy like Ligas, Tats, Fuentes etc. I used to smoke the full flavored NC's because I enjoyed them and thought it was childish to see cuban cigar smokers say their cubans are the best. I believe it tastes the best to them, but to say they are the best, period is narrow minded. Over time, the more cuban cigars I smoked, the more I preferred them. Now I smoke 99% cubans simply because I prefer them over NC's and I still think it's foolish for cuban smokers to say they are the best. Flavor preference, pure and simple. Has nothing to do with cost, being elite, wanting something I shouldn't have etc. Sure there can be some Americans who just want to seem elite saying they have cuban cigars, but everyone I know that actually smokes cubans consistently do it because that's what they prefer.
Well said.

I wasn't arguing that CCs are better, per se. I simply think that the position that people only smoke them because they're Cuban, or because of appearance, or because they're "forbidden fruit" is just dead wrong.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0

Well said.

I wasn't arguing that CCs are better, per se. I simply think that the position that people only smoke them because they're Cuban, or because of appearance, or because they're "forbidden fruit" is just dead wrong.
I agree, it's certainly not black or white. Clearly there are "domestics" and CCs that are better, and those that are worse, and lots in between.

If you're getting your CCs cheaper than pricey domestics, I'd argue that you're already a very savvy smoker, and not getting them from a B&M. This may take you outside of the demographic I'm discussing, which is the dude with lots of disposable income and little knowledge, who smokes CCs because "they're the best." And without any specific -- even personal -- knowledge to compare CCs and non NCs. I think there are a lot more of that type of dude out there than there is of you. Our view is skewed because we're on this board with... well, US.

That said, I shall endeavor to gain that specific, personal knowledge for myself as the opportunity presents itself ;)

Rating - 100%
30   0   0

Spot on. I have gravitated to CCs because of the flavor and nuances that I am starting to find in Cuban tobacco. I'm not above a good NC by any means, but I'm much more picky about what I'm putting on my palate and I typically reach for a CC out of habit now.

Despite popular belief, they are easily enough attained with clean provenance and quality, and unless you are into chasing REs or ELs then it is likely more cost effective due to the lack of extensive taxation, you just have to commit to buying boxes. Once the embargo is lifted the days of cheap habanos will unfortunately end outside of black market sales. But that's off topic... Ha.

I wouldn't buy from a secret drawer at a B&M though because the market for fakes is just too great. Hell, some of us are the only reason some B&M staff have any legit habanos experience at all. It's not their market, they can't legally sell it, and half the time I would probably believe they didn't knowingly sell fakes. Regardless, people buy them.

Rating - 95.5%
24   1   0
Taste is completely subjective. We all know there are fantastic cc's and NC's. It would be plain ignorant to say one is better than the other. CC's have a limited amount of marcas, only because of where they're from. I'm beginning to believe the NC world is infinite. Soooo many to choose from.