What's new

Cuban Confusion

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
the JR counterfeits used to be a deal ,but don't get excited,the blend has changed a lot.
better off getting the alternatives, the Fuente alternatives have the best Maduro wrappers in the line.
Try the Hoyo Cuban alts.......

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
another part of the Gray market is exchange between vendors, I have seen lots of foreign warning labels coming from Swiss vendors.
Spain, Croatia, Hungary, China .........

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Genuine Counterfeit Cuban Cigars....an oxymoron if ever I've read one.

the JR counterfeits used to be a deal ,but don't get excited,the blend has changed a lot.
better off getting the alternatives, the Fuente alternatives have the best Maduro wrappers in the line.
Try the Hoyo Cuban alts.......
Not sure about any of the JR Alternatives....I tried some in the early 2000's and there just isn't any consistency to them. The idea that they can get similar tastes as the original is like putting a VW engine into a Porsche and say it's almost the same...it just isn't. For a few dollars more and some good research you can get the real McCoy and actually enjoy the cigar but I understand that some can't afford premium cigars at the price point they charge....dilemma dilemma.

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I agree, they really aren't a substitute for the real deal,just a decent stick for the $$.
Started in the mid-late 90s when nothing was available.
Lew Rothman always knew how to make a $..............
I live 20 minutes from JR,and was in the store a lot for many years,I have seen tons of cigars come and go.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP’s question-

Some of the best cigars I have ever smoked were Cubans. And some of the most frustrating cigars I have ever smoked were Cubans (because of construction issues).

Like with many things, the factor of personal taste is front & center. Which are better - blondes or brunettes? Well, that all depends on the man asking and the particular woman being referred to.

Do your homework and you can easily find reputable sources for CCs in this age of the internet. Then you can decide for yourself what you think of particular habanos.
For my personal tastes, there are some small production boutique NCs that blow away most CCs. As others have mentioned, if you like raw nic power you’re more likely to find NCs to be where you’ll find it.
And I know a very long time brother with decades of experience in both types of cigars who smokes boutique NCs 75% of the time and CCs about 25%. In any case, smoke what You like.

Good luck

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very curious about CC as well but reading about construction problems and beetles has made me a bit hesitant to pull the trigger!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beetles can easily be dealt with by freezing the cigars a few days before putting them in your humidor. - - Optimum storage conditions are important for good burn & taste. Often it takes a fair amount of storage time before Cubans are optimum or even smokable - possibly years. But, a certain percentage of plugged cigars comes with the territory if you choose to smoke habanos.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Beetles are a vendor issue

Habanos are great but not for everyone of course
Didn't you say Habanos freezes everything...

Mold is a more common issue.

Beetles aren't as common of a problem as they were in the past @Birthofthecool

CC's are worth trying and getting into. Get a perfecdraw for the ones that are too full / tight. Take your time and find some fivers or samples to try. Don't expect the consistency of the better NC's.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Didn't you say Habanos freezes everything...

Mold is a more common issue.

Beetles aren't as common of a problem as they were in the past @Birthofthecool

CC's are worth trying and getting into. Get a perfecdraw for the ones that are too full / tight. Take your time and find some fivers or samples to try. Don't expect the consistency of the better NC's.
Lolololololololololol

Please post this research in detail I’ll read it while I’m on my flight

Mold lololololololol

Consistency lololololololol

I want to see this vast knowledge in writing :)

#shittyvendorstorageproblems

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I mean...not really but enough to go back to work and do daily normal stuff. Still can't be in water, lift anything heavy or play disc golf