What's new

Day 6 : Drew Estate / BOTL Holiday Extravaganza

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I was on vacation in Akumal, Mexico just shy of ten years ago, on the occasion of my 40th birthday. Out of curiosity, I picked up what was purported to be a Cuban cigar at the local grocery store. In retrospect it was, of course, fake. But I didn't know any better, and I must have liked it, because I gradually picked up the pastime from there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back a few years ago we were flying relief supplies to the Cayman Islands. First place we stayed didn't work out and found ourselves living it up at the Ritz. Regularly met at the bar in the hotel and relaxed with a few whiskeys. Co-pilot was a cigar smoker and I always commented how good the aroma was. Eventually he just cut and lit me one and I've been hook, line and sinker ever since!

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I was about 18 and was invited by a couple wealthier gents to go play in a major golf tournament. There were so many bugs, but they were not bothering these guys. I asked them why and they said it was the cigar smoke. I took them up on the offer to have one and the rest is history. It was a Macanoodle.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My old man has been smoking cigars for as long as I can remember and I ended up hitting a cigar shop right after I turned 18.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I started smoking Old Port Cigarillo's in highschool when I was at parties. When I was in University I started looking at better hand made cigars when I took notice that my Uncle Dave seemed to really enjoy Cuban Partagas and Montecristo's. I bought a couple Partagas from a B&M a few blocks from my University one afternoon and the rest is history.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into them because of the smell. I always loved the smell of cigars and used to frequently pass a cigar shop which had the doors open at all times. As soon as I turned 18, I went and bought one (an AF Hemingway) and have never looked back since.

ericdriscoll

CRA Ambassador #175966
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I dated a girl when I was 19 who's father smoked Henry Clay's and the occasional Cuban Romeo when his brother from England visited. Enjoyed the taste and time with the man. Broke up with the girl and kept smoking!

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
started smoking wood tip black n' milds and then decided to buy a 90 point cigar sampler. Enjoyed them and then found this forum this past January. It was all over from there.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Had a friend in high school who's pop shared a Fuente with us one afternoon. That was my first taste. Tried an Oliva V, fell in love. Tried a Liga Privada No. 9, and realized just how deep that love could be!

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Many years after I had quit smoking pot and drinking I was building a greenhouse for my carnivorous plants and remembered having a cigar with friends after a big wine dinner and decided to go smoke one while taking a break. I did manage to finish the greenhouse, but from that point on, it was all about taking a break.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to have a cigar while on vacation in Mexico and loved it enough that I started buying them at home.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some great stories... I started with friends sometime around 18. I don't really remember the why but I smoked on and off for years until I got serious about it in 2009. I've become more obsessed by the year.