What's new

Drew Estate Undercrown

Musterion

Don't stare....
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best idea is to just think of these as a new cigar at a new price from a maker with a good reputation. No need to bring any other baggage to the deal like what it should be priced at or what it should taste like. It's just a cigar and maybe you should try one. If you like it then buy more. If not then don't...that simple really. That way you avoid the hype and can make a more objective decision about whether something is worth the price.
+1. Excellent post!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been reading all the UC threads on various boards.. here are a few comments:

- the concept that it is a "poor man's LP" is not our words, we never said it was an inexpensive cigar, nor did we set out to make an inexpensive cigar. UC is priced in direct relation to its cost to manufacture, which turns out to be less expensive than Liga Privada - doesn't make it better or worse - it just is what it is. Some people will feel like it is a great price, others will feel it is fair and others we feel like we are robbing their grandmother. <snicker> The only way to judge a cigar in relation to its price is whether -you- feel it delivers a good value - does it provide flavors and experience you are happy exchanging $$$ for... this is the case for ALL cigars imo because all of us have different size wallets and different judgements as to what is a good value... 25 years ago I could have never imagined spending over a buck for any cigar, but at the time I earned about $925 a month.

- IMO right now is about the WORST time to try any Nicaraguan made cigar as a new release - we have endured punishing rains in NICA, the humidity is off the chart and is uncontrollable - all of the cigars coming from the country in the last 30 days or so are too moist IMO - I would strongly encourage everyone to dry box Undercrowns for a couple of weeks or afford them a couple of months rest in the humidor before making a judgement. Some are perfect, but some are not due to this moisture level. I feel this way about all cigars coming from NICA right now - it is just too damn wet down here.

Now on the flavor comparison issues... here is a repost I something I wrote elsewhere:

The LP No. 9, the LP T52 and the Undercrown are three independent blends - all have different fillers recipes and all three have different wrappers.

Short synopsis:

Q: What is the difference in flavor between the LP No. and T52 and Undercrown.

A: Imo, the No. 9 is more earthy, lusher in body with strong backnotes of espresso and finishes naturally sweeter. This sweetness is a common trait of all good Connecticut Broadleaf. The T52 on the other hand is more peppery with strong notes of leather with a leaner, spicier finish. The Undercrown is closer to the No. 9 in flavor, but with even more natural sweetness and brightness to the flavor - it is creamier in profile.

Of course taste is subjective, so you may characterize all the blends different, however there is little doubt once you have smoked all three they truly are independent blends.

===

Q: Which is stronger, the LP No. 9 or T52 or the Undercrown?

A: First off, which of the two LP blends is stronger seems to be a hotly debated issue, it seems about 50% of consumers consider each of the two to be the stronger &#8211; it is weird, I am use to consumer&#8217;s opinions on how strong vs. mild a cigar is to different, but I have never seen any two blends split so 50/50 on this issue. Imo, the T52 is the stronger of the two. First off, I have the benefit of having smoked all of both blends&#8217; individual leaves separately, so I am confident that the ingredients themselves are stronger in the T52. Secondly, I know I can smoke a No. 9 from initial light to nub with rarely pulling it from my mouth, while I find it necessary to pull the T52 every 10 minutes or so out of my yap due to it potency.

The Undercrown however I think most people will agree it is milder than the other two... imo, it is a touch stronger than medium in body... maybe a 6.5 on a 10 point strength scale.

===

Everything about cigars is subjective - one man's dream cigar is another's dog rocket.

I know most people will compare UC to the No. 9 and T52, but imo they really should be judged on their own merit in the grand spectrum of all the blends in the marketplace. I suspect just as some folks prefer the 9 over the T52 and vice versa the same will be the case with the Undercrown. I can see how someone would love the UC, but find the LPs overpowering and I can also see how some folks might find the UC does not deliver enough octane to suit their fancy.

Some folks will love all three like myself (I am kinda biased though ;>) while other folks will say none are for me... and this OK.

As I have said a hundred times before: "As a blender if you make a cigar that everyone likes, then you have made a cigar nobody loves..."

Hope this helps,

Steve Saka
President, Drew Estate

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you're referring to MUWAT, the undercrown doesn't come in a 6x60.
Yes it does, the Undercrown Gordito is 6 x 60. However, I can understand how people might not think so, because we have not shipped very many of this size into the US at this point.

We had to loan JDN a lot of our 60RG cigar molds to get the MUWAT project started so we were only able to make a few of the UC Gordito in the beginning. Now JDN has more molds, we have more molds and the production of Gorditios was increased - it will be about 4 months or so before you start to see greater quantities of these 6 x 60 UCs hit the stores.

BR,

Steve Saka
Still Prez of Drew Estate

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Been reading all the UC threads on various boards.. here are a few comments:

- the concept that it is a "poor man's LP" is not our words, we never said it was an inexpensive cigar, nor did we set out to make an inexpensive cigar. UC is priced in direct relation to its cost to manufacture, which turns out to be less expensive than Liga Privada - doesn't make it better or worse - it just is what it is. Some people will feel like it is a great price, others will feel it is fair and others we feel like we are robbing their grandmother. <snicker> The only way to judge a cigar in relation to its price is whether -you- feel it delivers a good value - does it provide flavors and experience you are happy exchanging $$$ for... this is the case for ALL cigars imo because all of us have different size wallets and different judgements as to what is a good value... 25 years ago I could have never imagined spending over a buck for any cigar, but at the time I earned about $925 a month.

- IMO right now is about the WORST time to try any Nicaraguan made cigar as a new release - we have endured punishing rains in NICA, the humidity is off the chart and is uncontrollable - all of the cigars coming from the country in the last 30 days or so are too moist IMO - I would strongly encourage everyone to dry box Undercrowns for a couple of weeks or afford them a couple of months rest in the humidor before making a judgement. Some are perfect, but some are not due to this moisture level. I feel this way about all cigars coming from NICA right now - it is just too damn wet down here.

Now on the flavor comparison issues... here is a repost I something I wrote elsewhere:

The LP No. 9, the LP T52 and the Undercrown are three independent blends - all have different fillers recipes and all three have different wrappers.

Short synopsis:

Q: What is the difference in flavor between the LP No. and T52 and Undercrown.

A: Imo, the No. 9 is more earthy, lusher in body with strong backnotes of espresso and finishes naturally sweeter. This sweetness is a common trait of all good Connecticut Broadleaf. The T52 on the other hand is more peppery with strong notes of leather with a leaner, spicier finish. The Undercrown is closer to the No. 9 in flavor, but with even more natural sweetness and brightness to the flavor - it is creamier in profile.

Of course taste is subjective, so you may characterize all the blends different, however there is little doubt once you have smoked all three they truly are independent blends.

===

Q: Which is stronger, the LP No. 9 or T52 or the Undercrown?

A: First off, which of the two LP blends is stronger seems to be a hotly debated issue, it seems about 50% of consumers consider each of the two to be the stronger – it is weird, I am use to consumer’s opinions on how strong vs. mild a cigar is to different, but I have never seen any two blends split so 50/50 on this issue. Imo, the T52 is the stronger of the two. First off, I have the benefit of having smoked all of both blends’ individual leaves separately, so I am confident that the ingredients themselves are stronger in the T52. Secondly, I know I can smoke a No. 9 from initial light to nub with rarely pulling it from my mouth, while I find it necessary to pull the T52 every 10 minutes or so out of my yap due to it potency.

The Undercrown however I think most people will agree it is milder than the other two... imo, it is a touch stronger than medium in body... maybe a 6.5 on a 10 point strength scale.

===

Everything about cigars is subjective - one man's dream cigar is another's dog rocket.

I know most people will compare UC to the No. 9 and T52, but imo they really should be judged on their own merit in the grand spectrum of all the blends in the marketplace. I suspect just as some folks prefer the 9 over the T52 and vice versa the same will be the case with the Undercrown. I can see how someone would love the UC, but find the LPs overpowering and I can also see how some folks might find the UC does not deliver enough octane to suit their fancy.

Some folks will love all three like myself (I am kinda biased though ;>) while other folks will say none are for me... and this OK.

As I have said a hundred times before: "As a blender if you make a cigar that everyone likes, then you have made a cigar nobody loves..."

Hope this helps,

Steve Saka
President, Drew Estate

Thanks for the information on the humidity in Nica and how they are affecting cigars. Myself, as a general rule, will try to smoke at least 3 cigars from a new blend before making any negative comment on a cigar. You have to give it a fair chance.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2. The first I smoked right as soon as I got it home, needed a lot of relights. Just smoked the 2nd tonight after resting for 2 weeks. No problems, no relights, good flavor lasted 2 hours. Good cigar for price, I bought to 2 more.

I'm not a fan of the T-52 but I like the #9's. Of the 3, I'm leaning towards the Undercrown. I don't like all the resting smoke all three put out though.

One man's humble opinion.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
About halfway through my first Undercrown. The rumors are true: it's a wonderful cigar. I'm getting coffee and chocolate flavors, with no pepper or spice. Its burn is razor sharp and the draw is spot on. It puts off smoke like a chimney, similar to the other Liga stogies.

If you haven't had the pleasure of trying one yet - do so.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Yes it does, the Undercrown Gordito is 6 x 60. However, I can understand how people might not think so, because we have not shipped very many of this size into the US at this point.

We had to loan JDN a lot of our 60RG cigar molds to get the MUWAT project started so we were only able to make a few of the UC Gordito in the beginning. Now JDN has more molds, we have more molds and the production of Gorditios was increased - it will be about 4 months or so before you start to see greater quantities of these 6 x 60 UCs hit the stores.

BR,

Steve Saka
Still Prez of Drew Estate

Ah, ok, thanks for the correction.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Bought a box of robbies yesterday. Yeah, a box, untasted. I figured if I didn't like them, enough people would that I could trade and bomb to my hearts content.

Having read up on them, it was my intent to let them sit in the drier of my two humidors for at least a month before giving one a shot. I'm not known for my patience though, so I burned my first this morning.

I'm also not one for long winded reviews so I'll just say I was not disappointed in the least! Yes, I can see where it will benefit from some aging. No doubt about it. The draw was a little tight, though nothing even approaching "plugged". I expect that to even out as they dry out a bit.

Thick volumes of smoke, creamy, chocolate, and sweet with a bit of that peppery bite in the nose? That's what I read, and that's all there. I even got a whiff of sweet bell pepper on the pre-light, which was a new one to me. :skew:

Very, very nice cigar. I'm going to buy another box and throw them into deep storage. I'm guessing this particular box won't ever make it to 'old'. Ha!

Good stuff.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm going to try a second, my first wasn't good. It had draw issues (real tight), and then chemical (amonia?) tasting after the 1st third. I have 10 more, I'm hoping this one was just a dud. Gran Toros. I had it in my humi for a week, w/o cello and have boveda humi packs @ 70%, it didn't split or anything, but I had the feeling while I was smoking it that it was just too moist. Maybe these need to season for a while?
OK, there is an answer here in the forum, too much humidity in Ni. Season a while.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Friends.

Just came back from 4 days in North Carolina, preceded by 3 days New York and 4 days Chicago. I can finally say that the UNDERCROWN are sufficiently free of the excess humidity that some (shipment 1 of 4) of the UNDERCROWN had picked up. All 4 shipments are now on point.

Best,
JD

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey JD,

Could you maybe put less glue on the UC bands? They are a complete bitch to get off, and I frequently damage my stick trying to get them off.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Hey JD,

Could you maybe put less glue on the UC bands? They are a complete bitch to get off, and I frequently damage my stick trying to get them off.
I don't know about you, but these are easy every time for me. now liga's, those don't come off in one piece, nor t52.

and, jd, keep sticking those bands on. smokes this good need to be advertised!

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hey JD,

You're probably smoking them too wet. I have made the same mistake many times. When dryboxed just right, the bands slide off no sweat on LP9, T52 & UC just the same.

JasonbaysWv

Rookie
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well on topic with the title I love the undercrowns. I have had 3 so far and love them, and not one sticky band mine slides rite off. I also like the undercrown better then the no.9 which I'll admit I've only had one. The ones I have had I've dry boxed for almost 24 hours before smokeing. Not sure if It's the nature of the smoke or my b&m but these things are wet( my b&m's sticks always seem really wet).