What's new

Dyed Wrappers on Cigars

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
for a second when I was capturing the image it reminded me of a brisket being covered in sauce. That is how thick the stuff is.

scoop

Founders Whore
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! :cbig:

DISCLAIMER: My smilie used no dyes in the production of his cigar.
You really expect us to believe your smiley made that cigar?:wtf:

And yes you were lucky enough for me to quote you with my very first post.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
This is odd JJ, the Fuente and CAO videos I have seen did not show me that part of the aging/curing process. I'm just wondering why Mr Clay RP felt the need to say they did not use any dye in the process, if that is merely the way an Ultra Premium Rocky Patel cigar is made. Makes me wonder if Mr Marketing even smokes cigars.

BrandonJ

I <3 Eric.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
This is odd JJ, the Fuente and CAO videos I have seen did not show me that part of the aging/curing process. I'm just wondering why Mr Clay RP felt the need to say they did not use any dye in the process, if that is merely the way an Ultra Premium Rocky Patel cigar is made. Makes me wonder if Mr Marketing even smokes cigars.
:thumbsup::bangbang::rifleaim::ninja::riflefire

You're my hero man.... :yes:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
And the funny thing is, I still like a few of their products, but with comments from Mr Marketing, I doubt I'll be jumping at the opportunty to buy them.

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
I'll say this and be done.

I have never, ever had a cigar bleed off color onto my hands as I've seen with some RP's. And I smoked a lot of crap cigars when I was first starting all the way to high end and boutique stuff now.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I'll say this and be done.

I have never, ever had a cigar bleed off color onto my hands as I've seen with some RP's. And I smoked a lot of crap cigars when I was first starting all the way to high end and boutique stuff now.
That is the problem, you've been smoking crappy budget cigars. If you were smoking good premium cigars, you would have seen that color more often. This info was taken from the above post by Clay RP.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Just thought I'd add my stick to the fire. I had a RP Edge maduro right out of the B&M humidor, so it was at 75% and I didn't wet it. By the time I was done, my fingers and lips were definitely brown.
Not arguing about the Edge necessarily -- but there are many naturally dark wrappers that leave color on the lips and/or skin. The Tatuaje Verocu line comes to mind right away, along with the El Triunfador (OG). Those all ways leave color on my lips/fingers. The LFD Oscuros are another.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
The experiment:

Was gifted this cigar yesterday and decided to do a little test.

I wet my finger and made a mark on the cigar.

I grabbed a tissue and did one swipe.

I haven't done this with any other cigar but I assume this isn't normal...

NJStone- Thanks for the info. It helps a little knowing the dye is natural and made from the tobacco plant itself... but it still kinda freaks me out.
Not arguing about the Edge necessarily -- but there are many naturally dark wrappers that leave color on the lips and/or skin. The Tatuaje Verocu line comes to mind right away, along with the El Triunfador (OG). Those all ways leave color on my lips/fingers. The LFD Oscuros are another.

I'll be willing to bet a 5r, that you can not take any of the cigars you just mentioned and do the above experiment and get the same results.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Maybe that super premium Rocky Patel R4 maduro that turned my fingers and lips brown, was just a little moist. Maybe, but I doubt it.

edit/addition:

I'll leve my original comment above, though I would like to correct it. I think Clay RP is full of B.S. The R4 is a crappy budget cigar and is not touted as using premium tobacco, but it leaves brown stains. The OWR is suppoesed to be good, but leaves the same stains. Myabe what you meant to say Clay is that the dye that was used was still wet.

I never got those stains from a Fuente Anejo, 601 Blue, El Triunfador, Padilla Obsidian Oscuro or a Gurkah Ancient warrior which is blacker than night. So to say that RP is using premium tobacco that is a bit wet is crap. How come no ones else's premium maduros leave stains? Maybe your tobacco is so premium it just can't all stay in the cigar.
Possible answer:

He said they don't use "dye," but that doesn't mean they don't augment the color. My understanding is that what we tend to refer to as "dye" is actually made from the tobacco plant ... and by that rationale, wouldn't be considered an "additive" or what not.

In MY experience, the original OWR maduros were NOT dyed/augmented/whatever, but most of the ones I've received in the last year have DEFINITELY been--no it's, ands, or buts. They taste and smoke exactly alike, but there is some sort of color added on those wrappers.