What's new

Emergency wineador purchase

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
The 281 is chrome. The 280 is black. Same cooler except for a couple features. The 281 gives you the option for single or half drawers from Forrest, which I did, but are only good for a single layer of cigars. If I was to do it again, I would go for the 280 all the way and just go with regular sized drawers. The black looks much nicer, is easier to keep clean on the exterior. One thing to note is the Forrest built drawers are not interchangeable between the 2 models. One is slightly more beveled and or wider than the other. Also, it looks like the 280 is $20 cheaper. Hope that helps...
Doug

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Kloned just asked me this the other day. I was under the impression the 281 was just the newer one. Looks like they are a bit different.

Rating - 95.5%
24   1   0
Don't share your space. Contrary to what our kindergarten teachers told us, sharing is not caring.lol. If you don't find anything suitable LMK. I got a 150 ct. Humidor I could give ya. All I ask is you pay shipping. Probably $15

Rating - 95.5%
24   1   0
It's just the opposite in NY. A lady in Manhattan had hers listed on craigslist as 50 bottle wine cooler $75. I hit her up," she said," young man, I'll leave it with the doorman." I said, " sooo, I'll give him the $", no, just take it.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Don't share your space. Contrary to what our kindergarten teachers told us, sharing is not caring.lol. If you don't find anything suitable LMK. I got a 150 ct. Humidor I could give ya. All I ask is you pay shipping. Probably $15
I bought the 28-count. Thanks brother.

It's just the opposite in NY. A lady in Manhattan had hers listed on craigslist as 50 bottle wine cooler $75. I hit her up," she said," young man, I'll leave it with the doorman." I said, " sooo, I'll give him the $", no, just take it.
Nice! Who says all NYers are a-holes?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
The 281 is chrome. The 280 is black. Same cooler except for a couple features. The 281 gives you the option for single or half drawers from Forrest, which I did, but are only good for a single layer of cigars. If I was to do it again, I would go for the 280 all the way and just go with regular sized drawers. The black looks much nicer, is easier to keep clean on the exterior. One thing to note is the Forrest built drawers are not interchangeable between the 2 models. One is slightly more beveled and or wider than the other. Also, it looks like the 280 is $20 cheaper. Hope that helps...
Doug
Newair did not stock the 280. Picked up the Chrome and will have to be content with the occasional Windexing ;)

Thank you for the advice!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0

Well that was ridic.

Ordered the Newair 281E from Airnwater yesterday at 2:15pm. Arrived today FedEx at 1:27pm. 23 hours and 12 minutes, free shipping.

I thought I'd have time to get my shit together! Time to clean it now & order some drawers!

I bought the Exquisicat KL. I'll see how that goes & move on if it needs something different.

Questions for the Brothers:

1. Do I just put the KL in an open Tupperware or do I use bags or what?

2. I'm eyeing a Cigar Oasis active humi device. Worth it? There will be times I won't be home for 2-3 weeks...

3. What do I plug the drain hole with?

4. Do I need other equipment? Some have installed a PC fan in these but it has a fan built in...

5. This is super nitpicky: the drill holes that hold the handle on the door came with washers, but is that a tight enough seal? They're very small. Caulk it with aquarium glue?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
1. Do I just put the KL in an open Tupperware or do I use bags or what??
Doesn't really matter as long as it's exposed. I use cigar coffins with needlepoint backing to hold mine. Others use a tray or shallow cigar box with the lid off. Another popular choice is aquarium media filter bags.

2. I'm eyeing a Cigar Oasis active humi device. Worth it? There will be times I won't be home for 2-3 weeks...?
Nope. The thing should be airtight, active humidification is overkill for these things. A good amount of KL should be adequate.

3. What do I plug the drain hole with??
Food-safe caulk is often used, but I just used a strip of electrical tape.

4. Do I need other equipment? Some have installed a PC fan in these but it has a fan built in...?
Depends how fancy you want to get. If the unit is going to be plugged in, the fan should be sufficient, but if you want to be more anal retentive, a fan at the bottom in a timer gives you more control over when and how long the air circulates. It's not strictly necessary, but it is nice to have as an option. I don't have one in any of my three.

5. This is super nitpicky: the drill holes that hold the handle on the door came with washers, but is that a tight enough seal? They're very small. Caulk it with aquarium glue?
You could, but it's not necessary. The tiny, tiny amount if leakage you'll get there isn't going to matter at all in the grand scheme of things. You'll lose a lot more rh every time you open the door than you will over even a long period of time through that tiny hole.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Woof. Wiped down with vinegar, and again with distilled water, and twice with baking soda, and left open for several days, and still the plastic smell returns when it's closed for a few hours.

Newspaper time I guess.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I don't know if it helped but I put a container of baking soda in mine and ran it for a few days. No smell after that!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Take it outside, open the door, and let it sit in the sun for a while. That always helped immensely with my coolers.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
You forgot the "run closed with trays of activated carbon / charcoal for a few days" step. Try that!
(Found in the fish filter media aisle at the local pet store)
Take it outside, open the door, and let it sit in the sun for a while. That always helped immensely with my coolers.
I'll try those. Thanks I have not been running it so maybe a bit of circulation will help.

I don't know if it helped but I put a container of baking soda in mine and ran it for a few days. No smell after that!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you do this be careful, in certain conditions this has melted and warped the plastic lining, I think it was hot as shit outside when the guy this happened to dealt with this but still just keep in mind if you do this step.

Could make it impossible for Forrest to design drawers that slide in and out if the inside isn't aligned normally.

I never sat mine outside. I did leave the door of the wine cooler open but inside my house.

Definitely for sure turn your fridge on with the door shut with either newspaper or charcoal inside, run that for 24 hours at the least.