What's new

[Experiment] Infused cigars stored with traditional cigars

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
[UPDATE]
I have so far come to the conclusion that storing cigars while still in their cellophane with infused cigars will not contaminate them.
I'm sorry Joe, but this is just not true. Your conclusion is faulty. I just don't want people seeing this on a search and thinking it's fine, only to have a bunch of their sticks end up with an off taste.
Maybe your palate isnt sensitive enough to pick it up, but the flavors and scents will and do transfer.
How much so could vary by which infused, the time period and storage conditions. But it does happen. I have 60 sticks given to me by a friend that need to be thrown away because of one stupid little acid blue cigarillos. (the time frame they were together was several years)

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry Joe, but this is just not true. Your conclusion is faulty. I just don't want people seeing this on a search and thinking it's fine, only to have a bunch of their sticks end up with an off taste.
Maybe your palate isnt sensitive enough to pick it up, but the flavors and scents will and do transfer.
How much so could vary by which infused, the time period and storage conditions. But it does happen. I have 60 sticks given to me by a friend that need to be thrown away because of one stupid little acid blue cigarillos. (the time frame they were together was several years)
This is an open forum and you're welcome to your opinion and to also conduct and document your own experiment. People can take the experiment I did for what its worth and see the time frames of my results. I will continue to do the experiment and if after several years my conclusion changes I can update it. So far though no one else on the Internet has documented any other experiment done to prove otherwise that I have been able to find. I just dont want people thinking they need to spend money on a second humidor because they enjoy acid cigars, its just a fable put forth by old time cigar snobs that dont like acid cigars. I once believed the myth myself and is why I have two humidors but now I can happily use the space in my infused humidor to store sticks with out worry that they will turn into garbage and need to be thrown out.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I keep my wife's infused cigars in my Newair all the time, they are double wrapped in ziplocks with her own boveda pack. No dedicated humidor and no problems.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Hahaha, dude! It's not a myth!
It is an undeniable fact.
it's just a matter of degrees, time frame and whether one finds that desirable or not.
If you can handle acids, that's great, but it does probably indicate that you have a less sensitive palate

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sides of the spectrum here just prove that what everyone has is an opinion with no evidence to back it up. One person says that a cigar cannot pick up the flavor of something else without being in a vacuum sealed environment and then theres someone who says two cigars in cellophane will pick up the flavors of each other in the same humidor. When i read about how to "marry" cigars it clearly was explained that the cigars need to be out of their cellophane for them to marry. You laugh and say its not a myth but have no documented evidence to prove it. Atleast i went through the trouble to disprove it, i welcome you to do your own experiment and post the results. It sounds like you are someone who wouldn't have acids in your humidor in the first place so it doesnt really effect you either way but for the people out there that do enjoy an occasional infused cigar shouldnt worry about having separate humidors. I went to a store recently with a decent sized walk in humidor roughly 15x4, it had a whole wall of acids and 2 other walls of traditional cigars. Will that wall of acids destroy the rest of humidors cigars?

Last edited:

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
time is the key.
just as naked cigars will pick up aromas ,so will celled cigars.
so,per this experiment, it is safe to say there is no noticeable transfer of aromas for some folks after a short period of time.
I think the parameters of the experiment were ill defined and ill stated.
more precise goals could have been specified, and there would have been less discussion leading nowhere.
as is so often the case.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on time frame, it certainly is not preferable. I'm sure the extra airspace is helpful.
I had the experiment inadvertently done for me, and I have 60 ruined cigars and a humidor that I cannot get the smell out of to show for it.
http://www.botl.org/threads/for-those-thinking-its-ok-to-store-infused-with-non-infused.92089/
An experiment done by someone else with no control and documentation is no experiment. I did my experiment with two of the same exact humidors, documented the time frames and actually smoked the cigars. You didnt smoke any of the cigars or know of how well they were cared for.

time is the key.
just as naked cigars will pick up aromas ,so will celled cigars.
so,per this experiment, it is safe to say there is no noticeable transfer of aromas for some folks after a short period of time.
I think the parameters of the experiment were ill defined and ill stated.
more precise goals could have been specified, and there would have been less discussion leading nowhere.
as is so often the case.
My parameters were two of the exact same humidors, one with acids in it, one with out. Both containing the same cigars minus the acids obviously which in an experiment would be called my control. In all of the cigars involved I had smoked atleast one of the same cigars from the control before smoking them from the infused humidor. My goal was to find out if storing infused cigars with non infused cigars will cause them to taste different. Please explain what more details you would like.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
An experiment done by someone else with no control and documentation is no experiment.
Penicillin was discovered by accident, not documented experiment with controls, yet the fact that it works is undeniable. Just because Glassman's cigars were ruined by accident and not controlled experiment does not change the fact they were ruined.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Penicillin was discovered by accident, not documented experiment with controls, yet the fact that it works is undeniable. Just because Glassman's cigars were ruined by accident and not controlled experiment does not change the fact they were ruined.
The cigars in question were described as ruined but never even smoked, so how do we know they were ruined? My guess is they were more likely ruined like most cigars that are kept by non smokers, poor humidification and occasional air exchange rather than being 'ruined' by being stored with an infused cigar. If we are going to compare cigars to penicillin I guess we could compare them to potato chips too? Should we store our plane potato chips in a different cabinet than our sour cream chips in fear that the plane may end up tasting like sour cream because the plastic bags are touching?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Statements like that are exactly why the phrase "comparing apples to oranges" was coined.
I'm not smoking them because of how much odor they have from it. It's bad. But compared to how strongly it has permeated the wood, it's less noticeable. And that's all from one tiny infused.
The point being, its a bad plan, it's completely unnecessary, if that's what you want to do, fine, have a ball with it. I'm just trying to make sure some poor sap doesn't end up having to toss a bunch of good cigars and get a new humidor because you said it was fine.
Many people like infused at first, but quickly lose their taste for them once they start smoking other cigars more often. Some have less sensitive palates and don't care either way. Whatever people prefer is fine. I don't care.
I'm just trying to save some people money and easily avoidable disappointment.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statements like that are exactly why the phrase "comparing apples to oranges" was coined.
Totally agree, I only compared cigars to chips because they were compared to penicillin, I was speaking tounge and cheek.
I'm not smoking them because of how much odor they have from it. It's bad. But compared to how strongly it has permeated the wood, it's less noticeable. And that's all from one tiny infused.
The point being, its a bad plan, it's completely unnecessary, if that's what you want to do, fine, have a ball with it. I'm just trying to make sure some poor sap doesn't end up having to toss a bunch of good cigars and get a new humidor because you said it was fine.
Many people like infused at first, but quickly lose their taste for them once they start smoking other cigars more often. Some have less sensitive palates and don't care either way. Whatever people prefer is fine. I don't care.
I'm just trying to save some people money and easily avoidable disappointment.
For someone like you who I believe has stated has never smoked an acid cigar its a complete biased opinion. I tried to form my conclusion unbiased by being in the group who you stated liked infused cigars and lost interest. I enjoyed acid cigars but then lost interest and now only smoke them occasionally when I'm in the mood for something sweet. I didnt want to have to waste space if I didnt have to which is why i conducted this experiment, I did it soley for my own personal information and figured I would share the information incase anyone else finds them selves in the same situation. If you are someone like yourself who will never smoke an acid cigar and therefore not have one in your humidor and dont even know what one tastes like in order to conduct a experiment it really doesnt matter much then does it?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have since. Hated it. But it's completely irrelevant.
I think its relevant to my argument, why would someone have a cigar they hate in their humidor in the first place? If you hate acids dont put them in your humidor. If you smoke acids and they are already in your humidor, dont be affraid to put other cigars in there as well. If you hate acids then your opinion is already formed and bias for this experiment.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude the freaking point is will it affect others and the humi. The answer is yes. Let it go!
The answer is no as per the results of my on going experiment. If you wish to conduct your own experiment with your own unbias results please do so. At one point in time people also thought the world was flat, until it was proven otherwise. I proved your opinion otherwise, your only evidence to back your claim is a friend's humidor with no back story or information on care filled with 60 cigars to none of which you smoked and one unnamed infused cigar which apparently ruined the other 60 of which have never been smoked. I have no issues with your opinion but they are just an opinion based on no evidence besides a friend's humidor and unsmoked cigars. If you are going to give people a definitive answer it needs to be based on experience with a control, documented time frames, and smoked cigars.