What's new

Favorite Bourbon

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I really like Blanton's, Makers 46, Evan Williams and Knob Creek. Basil Hayden's for a milder sip.
Would love to try a Pappy, but seems impossible to find. Trying others as I work through my current selection.
Hudson anyone?
Blanton's is a good single barrel. Basil Hayden's, along with most of the Beam small batch bourbons (Booker's and Baker's) are all really good IMO. At this point, Pappy is pretty much hyped up so hard that unless you are on a few lists somewhere, or are in good with your local whiskey guy, your odds of finding any are slim to none, and even then you better be prepared to pay out the nose for it. A lot of people don't realize that PVW never really distilled their own bourbon, it's just a brand put on the bourbon that the Van Winkles select from the batches of wheated bourbons produced according to their guidelines. The original PVW was made at the Stitzel-Weller distillery, and I believe the last of the Stitzel-Weller juice is used in the current PVW 23, maybe for another year, then it will almost all be Buffalo Trace whiskey. If you want a wheated bourbon from the Stitzel-Weller distillery that isn't PVW, you can try the Jefferson's Presidential Select (I've had the 18 year, which honestly was not my favorite but there is a 21 year out now I believe, for around $100 at my local Spec's) or the Willett Family Reserve 21 year, which I picked up a bottle of for around $170 and is every bit as good as the PVW 20 year...which would make sense, since it's basically the same juice :) Another thing to consider is that the Van Winkles have the scarcity model down to a science. You just thought tracking down HTF smokes was tough :grin:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1. All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon. Tennessee whiskey? Not bourbon. Canadian whiskey? Nope. Scotch? Definitely not bourbon... you get the idea.
2. Bourbon is all-American. In 1964, under President Lyndon Johnson's administration, Congress declared bourbon America's Native Spirit (LBJ sure enjoyed his bourbon.).
3. The only thing that can be added to bourbon is water (and only to bring it down to proof). Other whiskey makers can add colors and flavors to their products.
4. Whiskey can age in re-used barrels. By law bourbon must use NEW charred American white oak barrels. Scotch whiskey often recycles barrels first used for bourbon. Probably to try to steal some of the bourbon's flavor!
5. It can't say "bourbon" on the label if it's not distilled in the United States. And it can't be "Kentucky Bourbon" unless it's distilled in Kentucky.
I would also add that it has to have 51% or more corn in the mash, and there are other requirements for the proofing...but those are typically less of an issue than the barrels and the location where it's made :thumbsup:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge fan of Buffalo Trace. Its my everyday bourbon. Special occasions has been Bookers for now.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i like wheaters, so

1. weller antique 107, nice and cheap- everyday pour
2. makers - my introduction to bourbon - holds a special spot in my rotation
3. Old rip van winkle 107 - really like it, but hard to track down, I use it sparingly, try to make the bottle stretch a year
4. Pappy 15 - my favorite of all pappys and the least expensive. Use it sparingly, try to stretch the bottle a year.

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Bought some Noah's Mill to try yesterday. Very glad I did, tasty stuff! Complex, nice aroma and pretty smooth. The initial alcohol hit was a bit jarring, only negative aspect to drinking it. Looking forward to my next glass of it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Willets Tobacco Road. Sadly it's nigh impossible to find. Drank a bunch of it at Civil before they ran out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bought some Noah's Mill to try yesterday. Very glad I did, tasty stuff! Complex, nice aroma and pretty smooth. The initial alcohol hit was a bit jarring, only negative aspect to drinking it. Looking forward to my next glass of it.
It is very tasty, but it needs some water or ice to bring down the strength and open to truly reveal its depth of flavors. Can you tell I love it?

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I have always been more of a scotch drinker. I just bought my first bottle of bourbon today. It is a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 year old single barrel Kentucky straight bourbon. In fact I am having a little taster and smoke right now.

It is smooth and delicious!

Last edited: