What's new

Favorite Bourbon

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I personally think Woodford Reserve is an easy to find, fairly inexpensive good light bourbon. I think that Bakers and Bookers are also good lighter bourbons, but cost a little more. I really like Makers 46, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, and Blantons. I have never had the good stuff like Pappy Van Winkle, and Hirsch though.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Technically not a Bourbon. It's made in TN.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2
Being made in TN has nothing to do with Jack not being bourbon. It has to do with the maple charcoal treatment before going into barrels. Bourbon has to be at least 51% corn and not more than 75% I believe. The rest can be rye and barley. There are proof requirements for barrel entry also as well as what happens to it before going into the barrel (nothing which is why JD is excluded). I just had some pretty nice bourbon in Vermont of all places. Ooh yeah and bourbon must be made in the United States by the USA identity laws in order to bourbon. Something like rye whiskey can be called straight rye even if it's distilled in Canada and then aged and bottled in the US, but bourbon cannot.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I personally think Woodford Reserve is an easy to find, fairly inexpensive good light bourbon. I think that Bakers and Bookers are also good lighter bourbons, but cost a little more. I really like Makers 46, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, and Blantons. I have never had the good stuff like Pappy Van Winkle, and Hirsch though.
Define "light" - If I recall correctly, Bookers and Bakers are 120 proofish!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "everyday" bourbon is Woodford Reserve. If I am at a bar, typically going to go with a Makers Mark on cost and availability.

Every year in the fall, I try to acquire a bottle of the Pappy's 20yr...it is becoming increasingly more difficult to acquire. It is usually a game of calling around liquor stores within a 30 mile radius until I locate a bottle and beg them to hide it under the counter until i can drive there...worth the price of admission.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
No drink is worth that much work to me. It all ends the same, drunkiness and then you piss the remains out. So I could not justify the crazy price, for what was about$100 3 years ago, and the work to get it, when there I plenty of easy to get much cheaper stuff. I'd like to see a blind tasting to see whatpeople prefer base on taste and not allure.

To each their own.......

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
My staple bourbons are as follows:

Everyday drinkers: Elmer T Lee (highly underrated), Weller 12 Year (same stuff as Van Winkle 12 year),

Top Shelfers: William Larue Weller Antique Collection, George T Stagg Antique Collection, Pappy Van Winkle 15 year, Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 107,

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
The only bourbon worth drinking has got to be Stagg and Van Winkle bourbons. If I were you guys I wouldn't bother with Elmer T Lee . :D. I should buy more just in case you guys feel compelled to torture yourselves with it, and in case it changes with his recent passing. Its the selfless thing I can do for you when it comes to bourbon.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
So I'm drinking some Elmer T. Lee right now and it's definitely not worth buying.....Unless you like paying $30 for delicious bourbon that is.
Lol what?
I'm making fun of the people that prop up the impossible to find ridiculously priced stuff. This is a $30/btl bourbon in PA and it's pretty awesome, but it's only $30, and fairly readily available, so it can't be that good. After all you don't have to call 40 stores then buy a ticket that would possibly allow you the opportunity to buy the bottle for twice what it sold for 4 years ago. So it can't be that good.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
So I'm drinking some Elmer T. Lee right now and it's definitely not worth buying.....Unless you like paying $30 for delicious bourbon that is.
Lol what?
I'm making fun of the people that prop up the impossible to find ridiculously priced stuff. This is a $30/btl bourbon in PA and it's pretty awesome, but it's only $30, and fairly readily available, so it can't be that good. After all you don't have to call 40 stores then buy a ticket that would possibly allow you the opportunity to buy the bottle for twice what it sold for 4 years ago. So it can't be that good.
Oh... I get sarcasm (homer Simpson voice)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Pissed!!! I saw a bottle of BTAC Eagle rare on Wed... Held off cuz the store was gonna talk to distributor next day about Stagg Jr... Well I went back on Friday to buy the Eagle Rare 17... And it was gone!! FML!! They still have the Handy.. But that's easy to find year round!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Elmer T Lee is ok.... For a good bourbon buy Bernheim... It's a wheated bourbon and $27... Amazing stuff!!
I like both, but I have a hard time agreeing with you on this brother.

I am not very refined, so as a mixing bourbon I always reach for Old Grand Dad Bonded.
Inexpensive sipper - Very Old Barton or Ancient Ancient Age.
Every Day Top Shelf - Eagle Rare

Rene'

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like to sip Knob Creek on the rocks. I've heard there is a bourbon from a Texas Distillery labeled as 1836 which is supposed to be outstanding? Will have to stop by local liquor store and pick up a bottle to sample. Anyone on the board tried it?