What's new

Favorite Rum?

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Not too into rums so I guess they will be my next frontier ...they seems too sweet but ill have to revisit I know I have 2 or 3 different appletons on the bar and then like 2 bottles in the rum section ...I don't even know what they are lol

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva! Comes in a green tube and should run you about $30. One of the best liquors on the planet, imo.

Drink it neat from a brandy snifter or add a single ice cube and a twist of lemon - that's a twist, mind you, not a wedge! Perfect summer beverage right there.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
The newest bottle I have is El Dorado 15 Yr Special Reserve. I hope to have some in the next couple nights. I've been working on emptying a keg so I can get to the next one in line. So I've been drinking more beer than spirits which is fairly standard because I get so much free beer.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
It depends on how you are drinking it. I have -approx 30 different rums

Straight up, my hands down favorite is Elixir de Cuba Legendario Seite Anos.

Zara and Don Zacapa is great straight up too.

In a regular mojito, 10 Cane
In a Tangerine Mojito, Montecristo

Cuba libre or Rum and Coke, who cares.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
It depends on how you are drinking it. I have -approx 30 different rums

Straight up, my hands down favorite is Elixir de Cuba Legendario Seite Anos.

Zara and Don Zacapa is great straight up too.

In a regular mojito, 10 Cane
In a Tangerine Mojito, Montecristo

Cuba libre or Rum and Coke, who cares.
I like the Montecristo in a mojito too but my lounge stopped offering it months back... :(

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if a newbie wanted to start havin rum with cigars what would u all recommend as a good starter bottle.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
all of the zacapa and diplo's are hot sex.

havana club is, unfortunately, a cuban release, so not easily available for the land locked.

bacardi 8 is not a bad starter rum, for price per quality. most of the bacardi portfolio is just weak, but the 8 is, for about $20, a sexy anejo.

and, guys, friends don't let friends drink spiced. o)

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Ironically, right after creating this thread... one of my roommates gave me a bottle of Bacardi Oakheart for free since it was BOGO at the local store.

Certainly nothing amazing... or even good... but it gives me an idea of the sweetness to expect from rums.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Yeah you do! You can usually get really great deals on Karkov, Ron Diaz, and some other classics!! :barf:

Speedbump

BoM June '10
Rating - 100%
537   0   0
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva! Comes in a green tube and should run you about $30. One of the best liquors on the planet, imo.

Drink it neat from a brandy snifter or add a single ice cube and a twist of lemon - that's a twist, mind you, not a wedge! Perfect summer beverage right there.
Look at you being all picky

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Since Im new to rum I picked these up on sale at the local grocery for 10 $ each

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
98   0   0

Do you like it better than Zacapa 23?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Lots of good picks in this thread already. Hard for me to name a single favorite, as I like rums of different strength/body at different times, but some of my go to rums are:

Chairman's Reserve, from St. Lucia - awesome neat or with a couple rocks.
Flor de Caña rum. I usually drink 7 year old when I'm out, because that's all I can find. At home, I drink 12 year old. The 7 is a bit rough to drink neat, and the 18 y.o. is too refined. 12 y.o. is perfect.
Pusser's Navy Rum: Sweet, strong (84 proof), tons of flavor. I like this one on the rocks with just a splash of Coke.

Don't knock the white rums. They definitely have their place. For a great Hemingway Daiquiri, I use Ron Matusalem Platino. It has an almost astringent quality that goes perfectly with the lime juice. For the best mojito, I used to love Tommy Bahama White Sand, but I haven't seen it on shelves in a while. There is a distiller closeby, Drum Circle Distilling, in Sarasota, that makes a great white rum that I now use for mojitos, Siesta Key White Rum.

I'm not much of a fan of spiced rums, but when I do drink one, it's always mixed, and I really don't have a favorite.

Hope this helps!

Keith

Last edited: