What's new

Favorite Rum?

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
It depends on how you are drinking it. I have -approx 30 different rums

Straight up, my hands down favorite is Elixir de Cuba Legendario Seite Anos.

Zara and Don Zacapa is great straight up too.

In a regular mojito, 10 Cane
In a Tangerine Mojito, Montecristo

Cuba libre or Rum and Coke, who cares.
Takes notes....

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Ironically, right after creating this thread... one of my roommates gave me a bottle of Bacardi Oakheart for free since it was BOGO at the local store.

Certainly nothing amazing... or even good... but it gives me an idea of the sweetness to expect from rums.
Yeah they're hella sweet and id have to not drink bourbon for a week to enjoy it. Bourbon even killed my love for cognac in the same way. Time to revisit I guess and break away a little. Now that I think of it bourbon ipa and stout pretty much took my life over lol

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ironically, right after creating this thread... one of my roommates gave me a bottle of Bacardi Oakheart for free since it was BOGO at the local store.

Certainly nothing amazing... or even good... but it gives me an idea of the sweetness to expect from rums.
Oakheart is a spiced rum, so you'll get quite a bit of sweetness from it. If you want something less sweet, try Mount Gay Extra Old, or Cruzan Black Strap. Not sweet, at least as compared to most other rums - it will be sweeter than any bourbon or scotch, of course.

Keith

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva! Comes in a green tube and should run you about $30. One of the best liquors on the planet, imo.

Drink it neat from a brandy snifter or add a single ice cube and a twist of lemon - that's a twist, mind you, not a wedge! Perfect summer beverage right there.
Do you like it better than Zacapa 23?
Been a while since I had Zacapa, but yes, I think the Diplo RX is the best I've had.

Honestly, it holds its own with some of the best XO brandies I've had, as well, at less than a quarter the price.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Lots of good picks in this thread already. Hard for me to name a single favorite, as I like rums of different strength/body at different times, but some of my go to rums are:

Chairman's Reserve, from St. Lucia - awesome neat or with a couple rocks.
Flor de Caña rum. I usually drink 7 year old when I'm out, because that's all I can find. At home, I drink 12 year old. The 7 is a bit rough to drink neat, and the 18 y.o. is too refined. 12 y.o. is perfect.
Pusser's Navy Rum: Sweet, strong (84 proof), tons of flavor. I like this one on the rocks with just a splash of Coke.

Don't knock the white rums. They definitely have their place. For a great Hemingway Daiquiri, I use Ron Matusalem Platino. It has an almost astringent quality that goes perfectly with the lime juice. For the best mojito, I used to love Tommy Bahama White Sand, but I haven't seen it on shelves in a while. There is a distiller closeby, Drum Circle Distilling, in Sarasota, that makes a great white rum that I now use for mojitos, Siesta Key White Rum.

I'm not much of a fan of spiced rums, but when I do drink one, it's always mixed, and I really don't have a favorite.

Hope this helps!

Keith
I remember Saka saying on the Cigar Safari that Flor de Cana 12yo was the best bang for the buck. You and I seem to agree with him here. :)

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Diplo green tube ftw! Love me some straight Diplo. Perfectly balanced and the winner of the 2009 "Rum off"

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's plenty of great rums out there, many including the ones mentioned above, but somehow the best bang for the buck rum, regardless of how cheap it is, is my most adored.

Im not sure if it's available where you guys reside, but it's called old monk. Indias first, finest and honest to god rum. At AED 10 ($3) per bottle, it's hardly a cost.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Nice old thread bump, I like rum...

Best I ever had was Flor de Cana 7 year in Esteli, Nicaragua on the roof at Hotel Los Arcos, taste so good, with a great view...

Second best is sipping HC 7 Year on the deck of my former apartment compliments of gibblesnitch.

It's not always the spirit itself, but the spirit in which it is consumed.

C-Mac