What's new

Favorite Rum?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ahhhh....Rummmmmm! This has such a rich history to it and for those who are fortunate enough to do Rum Tours while in the Caribbean are always pleased to spend their time doing so. For those lucky enough to score some of the best Rums in the world and those that come from the island of Cuba are richly rewarded with a taste treat. I am able to get Cuban Rums from the 7 to 15 year old variety and obviously it isn't sold here in the States but one can get them in non US Territory....mine I get from the Caymans. The interesting things about Rum is how it's blended and fermented and how it matures into that nice golden color.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Ironically, right after creating this thread... one of my roommates gave me a bottle of Bacardi Oakheart for free since it was BOGO at the local store.

Certainly nothing amazing... or even good... but it gives me an idea of the sweetness to expect from rums.
Yeah they're hella sweet and id have to not drink bourbon for a week to enjoy it. Bourbon even killed my love for cognac in the same way. Time to revisit I guess and break away a little. Now that I think of it bourbon ipa and stout pretty much took my life over lol
Bourbons, IPAs, and stouts? Nothing wrong with those being your favorites!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
all of the zacapa and diplo's are hot sex.

havana club is, unfortunately, a cuban release, so not easily available for the land locked.

bacardi 8 is not a bad starter rum, for price per quality. most of the bacardi portfolio is just weak, but the 8 is, for about $20, a sexy anejo.

and, guys, friends don't let friends drink spiced. o)
Bacardi 8 is the only Bacardi worth drinking. Their Gold give me a headache everytime.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The newest bottle I have is El Dorado 15 Yr Special Reserve. I hope to have some in the next couple nights. I've been working on emptying a keg so I can get to the next one in line. So I've been drinking more beer than spirits which is fairly standard because I get so much free beer.
Good Guyanese rum! My wife is from Guyana, so I started sampling their rum at Guyanese parties. I'm mainly into rums from Barbados(my mother was from there...) and Trinidad.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread, but reviving it here. Rum has moved into my number one spot for cigar pairings, pushing bourbon very slightly aside. Ever cigar is different and calls for a different specific drink (or a different few drinks), but I find rum goes with the biggest variety of cigars.

Ron Abuelo Centuria - My favorite rum with or without cigars. Currently it is my favorite spirit, period.

El Dorado - More affordable and accessible than Abuelo. Goes with a large variety of cigars. Nice thick mouth feel.

Zacapa 23 - Goes with a variety of cigars, but less so than Dorado. Good to have them all around bc there are specific sticks zacapa goes with that Dorado does not and vice versa.

Bicardi Facundo Exquisito - Very good rum, but pricey and not so accessible. After my first bottle I was not going to buy another (bc of the price) but found a few cigars that go great with it so have to keep it around.

Plantation XO 20th Anniversary - This could be my second favorite rum without cigars (behind Abuelo). It just doesn't go with many cigars. I think part of the reason is it's not very thick, so it does not really coat your mouth. Recently I did find a cigar that pairs great with it so I am happy about that - la palina Goldie laguito especial

I've had zafra 21, which has a bourbon influence, so this could be a good one to try if you're a bourbon drinker and want to try out rum. I like it with less cigars than I thought I would.

For the sake of conversation, a few rums that seem popular but are way too sweet for me are diplomatico reserva exclusiva and Ron centenario 25. The diplomatico I drank a little of and haven't touched it since. It tastes almost like syrup. The centenario I had a sip and couldn't touch the rest. I don't know what it is, bc the ones that I like do taste fairly sweet.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Gosling's Old Rum is a favorite of mine and paired nicely with a few CC's I've smoked. Downfall is it's kind of hard to find here in the states unless you find a store that can ship to you if they're available. Price tag isn't bad but could be a lot worse. Around $60 a bottle depending on where you purchase. I've seen it no cheaper.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've only had a few runs but will be going back through this thread for recommendations from time to time. I've picked up bottles of both Zaya and Diplimatico Reserva Exc. both were good but very sweet. The First sip of Zaya reminded me of those orange circus peanuts. I'm just about to polish off a bottle of Mount Gay XO which I find a little less sweet, and I've really enjoyed it.

@CVAC085 what is the Goslings Old Rum like? The molasses and charred barrel notes (at least that is how I interpreted it lol) of the regular black seal rum while making dark and stormys is what led me to bourbon - along with the push from a cousin and the threads here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've only had a few runs but will be going back through this thread for recommendations from time to time. I've picked up bottles of both Zaya and Diplimatico Reserva Exc. both were good but very sweet. The First sip of Zaya reminded me of those orange circus peanuts. I'm just about to polish off a bottle of Mount Gay XO which I find a little less sweet, and I've really enjoyed it.

@CVAC085 what is the Goslings Old Rum like? The molasses and charred barrel notes (at least that is how I interpreted it lol) of the regular black seal rum while making dark and stormys is what led me to bourbon - along with the push from a cousin and the threads here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember it being very sweet. Definitely had some fruit and molasses notes too.

I might have to break out the bottle again and get a better review for you if I have some free time for a drink and smoke. I remember drinking it paired with an H Upmann CC a while back.

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk