What's new

Finally...I'm building my detached cigar smoking room....

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
Okay guys....I've officially began my much anticipated project.....

Build a detached cigar smoking room at my house. :popeyes:

I've been wanting and daydreaming about it for few years now....I have a little extra $ saved up and some time off of work(7 weeks maternity leave for the newborn coming any day now), so here it goes....

Background: of course I wanted the thing to be as huge as possible, i wasn't even concerned about the backyard loss(especially because my house is 3 houses from a 8 acre park...plenty of room for the {future} kids), BUT I did not want to deal with the city and getting a permit. Mainly because in my city they make it tough...many visits/inspections are required, the permit cost, that long wait times for the appointments/visits/inspections, etc.
SO because of that I decided to do the largest size room allowed without a permit. 120 sq feet. 10'x12'....the size of an average spare bedroom in most modern day houses.
Its only about 60% of the size I originally wanted but I can still have a few leather couches, the mini fridge, the keg-a-rator, the scotch/liqueur shelf, wall-mounted flat screen, and a table.

Anyways, this last weekend I had the concrete poured, anchor bolts and conduit placed....now, the man work starts! Framing, insulation, drywall, siting, roofing, etc...
I'm not a building expert, In high school, about 6-8 years ago, I built 2 of these type of detached rooms with my father. I remember some parts of it ...but not that much. So for help I have my father(an expert builder), a few books on the task at hand, and some of you guys....

That leads me to some of my questions for the "you guys" part....(hopefully we have some construction guys on this forum and/or some guys who have completed this project already.) :help:

1) Ventilation. A HUGE priority. Any realistic suggestions? I was thinking 4(1 near each corner) bathroom type exhaust fans. I did read elsewhere about an external exhaust system....but I'm budgeting a few hundred, not thousands on the Ventilation.

AS YOU CAN SEE BY THE PICS ON FOLLOWING PAGES, I'VE TAKEN CARE OF THE VENTILATION.

2) A/C. One of the main reasons I'm building it is due to the tons of HOT 95-108 degree days we get here. Im tired of freaking sweating while smoking. I BOUGHT this: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11206378&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1 (in the $250-$500 price range). IT SEEMED TO BE THE BEST ONE FOR MY APPLICATION.

3)Any other tips?

For now thats all I got....I will add more of my comments and questions as they come up.
And if interest exists I'll post pics as it progresses....

Cheers,
Matt
(artofdesign)

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
My wife and I have discussed me doing the same. Please keep us posted and post pics as I need to be shoved off the dime on this one.

RigilKent

RigilKent
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
well the ac should work fine and the fans for that size room should also work fine. just make sure you properly tape the drywall seams i recently drywalled my GF parents new basement. i would help but i live quite a ways away good luck and post pictures.

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
well the ac should work fine...
I hope so.

Do you(or anyone) have experience with these type of a/c units?

Mainly, In a room that size can I keep it off all day, and for the 3-4 nights a week im in there smoking turn it on about 2 hours before and will it take it down from hot as hell(100+ degrees) to 72ish in those 2 hours?
I've never used such a unit....

RigilKent

RigilKent
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
not sure on the capabilities i would call an AC tech and ask what they think. doesnt get that hot very often in WI about twice a year

roscoe

Rapscallion
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,

To answer your two questions:

1) check out http://www.smokeeaters.org. Call them...talk to them. Nice guys
2) look into what is called a 'mini-split' system. these are popular overseas. It is a ductless heat/ac unit that hangs on the wall. It's 9000 btu and cost us under 400.00. We installed it ourselves.

We have a mini-split in our walk in humidor/locker room at the club and keeps the temp at 70 deg constantly.

Roscoe
The Metropolitan Society
http://www.metrocigar.com

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Bah, Roscoe beat me to it. They have a couple of units that run between $3-500 listed in their residential section that cover between 100 and 200 square feet. My personal opinion on the matter would be that you couldn't go overboard on the ventilation. No reason to sit around in your nice new smoking room and end up having yourself and the place completely stink everytime you have a cigar. Not to mention the possible health implications if you don't have enough ventilation.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

roscoe

Rapscallion
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key is not exhausting the air as much as it is filtering (handling). Exhausting the air will take out heat in the winter and a/c in the summer. A decent filter with some fresh air introduction is the ideal setup.

Roscoe
The Metropolitan Society

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
The key is not exhausting the air as much as it is filtering (handling). Exhausting the air will take out heat in the winter and a/c in the summer. A decent filter with some fresh air introduction is the ideal setup.

Roscoe
The Metropolitan Society
interesting, so the system you mention above is a ac and a decent filter?

roscoe

Rapscallion
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have heat/ac then you will only need the filter equip and a source for fresh air. The guys at smokeeaters.org can tell you just how much fresh air you will have to introduce; probably just a bathroom fan unless you have fresh air induction in your current HVAC system.

Roscoe

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3

Roscoe
The Metropolitan Society
I hadn't thought of the removal of hot or cold air by using the exhaust system, but that seems like it would do exactly that. The Costco AC units work just fine, but it sounds like Smoke eaters is the way to go.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I tried an airconditioning unit in my lounge. I foun dit recycled the air and after awhile I almost could not breathe. I have a similar unit to the one you are looking at in our bedroom but of a higher grade from Lowes. It cost about $600, is absolutely silent and works awesome for cooling the bed room on the one or two nights it gets hot on the coast. It does have an exhaust function but to make it work well, it has to recycle the cool to reduce temp. The guys are right, a filte recirculation system is what you need and that means coin. The external exhaust is not real expensve and keeps the noise down. Basically you run your duct work from the room to your outside opening. You can use 12 to 24 ft flexible or hrad ducting. The fan is mounted at the exhaut point as far from the room as possible and pull the air through the duct out to the outside. This wa you can use a larger, heavier duty exhaut fan while keeping the noise to a minimum. Works great.