What's new

Force Awakens appreciation thread!(careful for some spoilers)

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Spoiler Alert

No, SERIOUSLY SPOILER AHEAD

I think it would be a safe bet to say the Jacen Solo (name came from the extended star wars universe via books I've read, but I don't think it was mentioned in the movie) did indeed die in this movie when he killed XXXXXXXX and succumbed fully to the dark side as Kylo Ren.

This does continue with the same basis of plots from the original trilogy in speculation. He succumbed to the dark side, just as Anakin did to become Vader, but Leia and/or Luke will want to try to turn him back, just like Luke and Vader.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Saw it yesterday, really enjoyed it. This coming from a guy who still loves the original trilogy - the prequels, not so much. They got better as they went, but still had a hard time recovering from all that Looney Toons crap in episode I.

SPOILER ALERT -

Plot was episode IV all over again, but that didn't bother me - I appreciated the nostalgia of it and I like that they're continuing the final trilogy in the same manner that it started - it's like the entire story is finally coming around full-circle. I do feel it was a bit too "modernized" in a few ways - first with more humor than I expected, but that didn't ruin anything for me. Character development of Fin was definitely rushed - the dude goes from stormtrooper to renegade overnight. Also have a hard time with Kylo Ren being such a visibly "scared on the inside" type of villain. Final and biggest criticism is the overtly Nazi-esque salute that the stormtroopers did at their big rally, because the Star Wars legacy is strong enough on it's own that they didn't need to stoop to relating stormtroopers to Nazis to show that they're the bad guys. Way too cliche.

That said, my few criticisms are nothing compared to how good it was overall, and even the minor fails of this one should help set up episodes VIII and IX for greatness. Also love that the next Jedi character is a girl - I feel like my daughter would see Rey the same way I saw Luke Skywalker when I was a kid, and make the Star Wars universe a magical thing for her like it once was for me.

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Final and biggest criticism is the overtly Nazi-esque salute that the stormtroopers did at their big rally, because the Star Wars legacy is strong enough on it's own that they didn't need to stoop to relating stormtroopers to Nazis to show that they're the bad guys. Way too cliche.
The original Star Wars stylized the imperial uniform after Nazi uniforms for this exact reason

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I almost got up and walked out. I kept thinking "Hail Hydra". This was not a Star Wars movie I told myself. Then this morning I read that when Lucas sold the rights to Disney they refused to use any of his story lines and they were taking it in their own direction. So this is a Disney movie with star wars characters. Totally predicable story line from about 10 minutes in. the whole theater laughed when they vaders grandson took off his mask.

Special effects were over the top, but I saw the originals when they were released in the theater the first time.

This was not a star wars movie .... Hail Hydra!

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Then this morning I read that when Lucas sold the rights to Disney they refused to use any of his story lines and they were taking it in their own direction. So this is a Disney movie with star wars characters.
I was relieved when I read this. Lucas has gone all touchy feely and I believe most people are not interested in more prequel-like disappointment.

I personally enjoyed the movie. But, yeah, the guy playing Kilo Ren didn't seem to fit the part.

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
Spoiler Alert

No, SERIOUSLY SPOILER AHEAD

I think it would be a safe bet to say the Jacen Solo (name came from the extended star wars universe via books I've read, but I don't think it was mentioned in the movie) did indeed die in this movie when he killed XXXXXXXX and succumbed fully to the dark side as Kylo Ren.

This does continue with the same basis of plots from the original trilogy in speculation. He succumbed to the dark side, just as Anakin did to become Vader, but Leia and/or Luke will want to try to turn him back, just like Luke and Vader.
In the movie his name is Ben Solo. These new movies are not based off the books. Disney and Abrams have chosen to ignore the Star Wars Universe books after Return of the Jedi including the store revolving around Jacen Solo, and that character doesn't even exist in these movies. It's one of the things that disappointed me about this movie is the fact that Disney is ignoring the books. I didn't hate the movie, but there were some things that disappointed me. I didn't like that it pretty much had the same story arch as the New Hope. The story lacked creativity. It also didn't answer most of the questions I had going into it. Dialogue and acting were pretty much better than any of the Lucas films, because dialogue was never Lucas' strength. I liked the nostalgia, but I would've preferred a better plot.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
My 13 yo daughter and I loved it. I saw A New Hope opening weekend back in '77 when I was about her age and I had a blast filling her in on all the characters and inside jokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
n the movie his name is Ben Solo. These new movies are not based off the books. Disney and Abrams have chosen to ignore the Star Wars Universe books after Return of the Jedi including the store revolving around Jacen Solo, and that character doesn't even exist in these movies. It's one of the things that disappointed me about this movie is the fact that Disney is ignoring the books.
It is very disappointing to see them going in an entirely different direction, as opposed to at least somewhat following a very well established Star Wars universe.

I was relieved when I read this. Lucas has gone all touchy feely and I believe most people are not interested in more prequel-like disappointment.
I think Disney went just as touchy feely as Lucas started to, plus they rushed all of the character development (or lack thereof).

The more I think back on it, the less and less I like it. Hopefully they were just laying the ground work and Episode VIII will be good

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
It is very disappointing to see them going in an entirely different direction, as opposed to at least somewhat following a very well established Star Wars universe.

I think Disney went just as touchy feely as Lucas started to, plus they rushed all of the character development (or lack thereof).

The more I think back on it, the less and less I like it. Hopefully they were just laying the ground work and Episode VIII will be good
The books are generally based off the movies. In other words, Lucas creates the groundwork with the movies, and then has authors write books surrounding that groundwork. The books generally follow the movies to avoid the Star Wars universe books from deviating from the characters' backgrounds or conflicting with the movies.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
i understand why they did it thought, it would have been difficult to build a new IP in the per-existing expanded universe because so much was already fleshed out. Woulda been near impossible to make a storyline that wasn't basically copying a book without breaking something that was already established in the books as a whole

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For a modern rehash of ANH I thought it was pretty good. Enjoyed it much more the second time I saw it.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The books are generally based off the movies. In other words, Lucas creates the groundwork with the movies, and then has authors write books surrounding that groundwork. The books generally follow the movies to avoid the Star Wars universe books from deviating from the characters' backgrounds or conflicting with the movies.
The first 3 released films had a lot from the books left out. It was worth reading the books to get more info on the story. The prequels though it does look like the books were written after the movie was made. They were a big dissapointment to read.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
The first 3 released films had a lot from the books left out. It was worth reading the books to get more info on the story. The prequels though it does look like the books were written after the movie was made. They were a big dissapointment to read.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
The books for the original Star Wars were based off the scripts of the movies. Lucas' owned the publishing rights, so he would apparently show the scripts of the movies to whomever was writing the books.