What's new

Game of Thrones - HBO

ZoS0

Unicorn Wrangler
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone else see the previews for this show?

I read the books the show is based on and from what I have seen so far it seems like they did a really good job recreating the environment described in the books.

Wanted to see if there are any other "nerds" like me out here that are pysched for this show.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the books and the previews look great! I really can't wait for it to begin!

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I've read the books. Been waiting on the next one forever. I don't have HBO, but I'm really wanting to see this. This is like no other book series that I've ever read. If you are looking for happy endings and the good guy always winning, look somewhere else.

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
Show will never be as good as the books - I'm still holding my breath for Dances with Dragons... so far the Song of Ice and Fire is in my top 2-3 favorites.

Also, if you like that, look for the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Very similar with a bit more mysticism... 12-book series, and each one is excellent.

EDIT: Also, Sword of Truth series had an HBO show about it... Was awful. That's why I'm so skeptical for the Song of Ice and Fire shows.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I've read the books. Been waiting on the next one forever. I don't have HBO, but I'm really wanting to see this. This is like no other book series that I've ever read. If you are looking for happy endings and the good guy always winning, look somewhere else.
I couldn't agree more.

Show will never be as good as the books - I'm still holding my breath for Dances with Dragons... so far the Song of Ice and Fire is in my top 2-3 favorites.

Also, if you like that, look for the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Very similar with a bit more mysticism... 12-book series, and each one is excellent.

EDIT: Also, Sword of Truth series had an HBO show about it... Was awful. That's why I'm so skeptical for the Song of Ice and Fire shows.
True, but the Sword of Truth series did seem to get a little redundant before finishing well. Whatever fixes the problem, causes a problem in the next book, which is miraculously solved in the end, only to cause more problems. But I really did enjoy the books. I continued to watch the TV series because I loved the characters, but cringed every time the made drastic changes.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Least we forget....the story of the "original" crime family starts this Sunday, April 3rd at 9:00PM....

"The Borgias"

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I've read the SOT series also. The TV series wasn't really my cup of tea. I really liked the books and I was sad to see the end.

Last edited:

ZoS0

Unicorn Wrangler
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm hoping Game of Thrones sticks to the source material. It seems like it has a good change since George RR Martin is involved with the production.

I caught a glimpse of Clegane's helmet in one of the previews, it looked cool.

I haven't read any of the Sword of Truth series, but I'm putting it on my list to read (thanks for the suggestion). Recently finished the Mistborn Trilogy which was interesting.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This is my favorite series. Ever. I'm almost afraid to see it on TV. I'm almost sure I'll be disappointed... I enjoyed The Sword of Truth series, but The Seeker was god-awful...

And so STOKED about the new book finally coming out!

SmokeyOgre

Has Layers
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm psyched for this. The books are on my all time fav list.
I'm going to approach the show with an open mind. I'll assume there will be differences (since written word doesnt translate perfectly to visual media) but hope it will stand on its own merrit.

I figure worst case scenario it will get more people to pick up the books, which can't be a bad thing.

SmokeyOgre

Has Layers
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So who watched last night?

I thought it was pretty good, a little faster paced than I expected. But the book goes to some lengths to develop characters which probably cannot be captured well on screen. I'll keep watching.

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
Have any of you read the Artemis fowl series? I read them this past winter when I was bored, i guess you can call it the Irish take of Harry Potter i personally found them to be "More entertaining".

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Have any of you read the Artemis fowl series? I read them this past winter when I was bored, i guess you can call it the Irish take of Harry Potter i personally found them to be "More entertaining".
Yep, very entertaining and very easy to read. There's probably a couple more books out now that I haven't read yet.

Jadawin

Drew Estate Cigars
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I havent read the books but my dad is a huge fan of them and has been telling me about them for a while now. I watched last nights premiere episode and really liked it! Looking forward to seeing where the story goes, i might have to start reading the books soon...

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Least we forget....the story of the "original" crime family starts this Sunday, April 3rd at 9:00PM....

"The Borgias"

I've been watching this and really like it. The Pope is a friggin gangster...

I watched last night - Loved it! Can't wait for the next episode!
I've got it on the DVR. The wife is not interested, so I'll be staying up[ late tonight to watch it. Looks bad ass.