What's new

gardening

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I am going to finish getting my garden (9'x36' raised) prepped today and am going to wait until next weekend to begin planting. I had badly neglected my garden last fall and it has been a mess this spring. The worms (30 dozen) I added 3 years ago have really been thriving and I just added another 60 cu ft of good compost again this year trying to amend the soil, which seems to be helping but I still have a lot of room for improvement.
I am doing "no till" (don't want to grind up the worms) but do loosen things up with the garden fork. Now that I am semi- retired I will have more time to enjoy it, instead of it being just something else I need to take care of.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've got a question I've been trying to figure out with no luck maybe someone here can help....

My lemon has dropped at least 60% of its leaves in the past couple weeks. No problem there that's about normal around spring. However I've always heard about the 40 leaves per fruit ratio. Now with the way it just sheds all these leaves I'll never be able to grow more than a couple fruit. Should my ratio be considering the amount of leaves before or after its spring leaf drop?

StogieFisher

Trolling troll is trolling.
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I have a couple potted lemon plants that are probably a lot less than 40 leaves per fruit but seem to do well. They drop a decent amount of leaves over the winter but seem to bounce right back when it warms up outside.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a couple potted lemon plants that are probably a lot less than 40 leaves per fruit but seem to do well. They drop a decent amount of leaves over the winter but seem to bounce right back when it warms up outside.
Have the mature fruit stayed the same size or gotten bigger? My tree seems pretty happy and healthy I just don't want to hurt the fruit size of future harvests. I'm not too worried about the overall yield I know that'll get better as the tree gets bigger.

Some pics...

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Mmmmm....lemons.

Transplanted my tomato and pepper starts to 3" pots today.

I've been tilling my garden, getting ready for onions, radishes, and soon peas. Damn ground at my place is a little high in clay. Its tough busting that sucker up every spring. I'm working on getting the organic matter up. Short of trucking in 10 yards of compost, it will be a long process. I'm getting there, though.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Mmmmm....lemons.

Transplanted my tomato and pepper starts to 3" pots today.

I've been tilling my garden, getting ready for onions, radishes, and soon peas. Damn ground at my place is a little high in clay. Its tough busting that sucker up every spring. I'm working on getting the organic matter up. Short of trucking in 10 yards of compost, it will be a long process. I'm getting there, though.
We have a lot of clay here in KC also. Use some sand and cotton boll/burr to break down and loosen the clay.

Btw, get those onions, peas and radishes in asap. They like the cool weather and can handle temps in the low 30's with no problem.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
We have a lot of clay here in KC also. Use some sand and cotton boll/burr to break down and loosen the clay.

Btw, get those onions, peas and radishes in asap. They like the cool weather and can handle temps in the low 30's with no problem.

First round of peas went in the ground yesterday, will plant a slower-growing variety in a couple weeks to extend the harvest. (y)

FWIW, I've had great luck using a rhyzobium innoculant on peas. If your peas aren't in the ground yet, definitely worth picking up a bag.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0

Makes sense and sand is cheap. Not sure I have ever seen the cotton boll/burr for sale around here, but will look into it. I've been using peat moss.

Burpee is sending out onions tomorrow. I might be able to get the peas and radishes in tomorrow. Busy, busy until then.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
FWIW, I've had great luck using a rhyzobium innoculant on peas. If your peas aren't in the ground yet, definitely worth picking up a bag.
If you notice your legumes are not nodulating, yes, get some.

My beans were not nodulating and were tired with little output for the first two years in my current spot. I put in some rhozobium last year and I simply couldn't keep up with harvest and canning.

Once inoculated, the rhizobium should persist in that general area. Just keep an eye on those nodules.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
If you notice your legumes are not nodulating, yes, get some.

My beans were not nodulating and were tired with little output for the first two years in my current spot. I put in some rhozobium last year and I simply couldn't keep up with harvest and canning.

Once inoculated, the rhizobium should persist in that general area. Just keep an eye on those nodules.
I never thought to wait and see if they were nodulating or not; I just followed the advice that was given to me, and had great results my first year. Good to know that it should remain in the soil though. (y)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
How many years do untreated lumber last? For the raised beds?

I installed one this year using the stone block retaining wall, but think we may have room for another. But I wouldn't want another hard structure in the backyard so wondering how long a wood one would last before rotting out

I wouldn't want to use pressure treated and Cesar or redwood doesn't seem to be readily available.

Thanks gyys!

StogieFisher

Trolling troll is trolling.
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
How many years do untreated lumber last? For the raised beds?

I installed one this year using the stone block retaining wall, but think we may have room for another. But I wouldn't want another hard structure in the backyard so wondering how long a wood one would last before rotting out

I wouldn't want to use pressure treated and Cesar or redwood doesn't seem to be readily available.

Thanks gyys!
I'm not sure, but when I was doing research I found out treated lumber is not advised. And redwood is pretty costly.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'm not sure, but when I was doing research I found out treated lumber is not advised. And redwood is pretty costly.
Yeah, treated is definitely a no-go.

Cedar and redwood is pricy or not available. So that leaves me with regular pine boards. I'd guess they'll last a couple years - if I get the time/money to install one more, I'll go with regular old pine boards