What's new

gardening

StogieFisher

Trolling troll is trolling.
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Eh, treated is fine. They stopped using CCA treated about 10 years ago, that was a def no go. There are newer treatments out there that are fine, some are even applying for use in organic farming from what ive read.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Eh, treated is fine. They stopped using CCA treated about 10 years ago, that was a def no go. There are newer treatments out there that are fine, some are even applying for use in organic farming from what ive read.
I agree with this. The new treated wood is fine to use.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
For you that are putting in tomatoes, what varieties are you growing this year? The last couple of years I have planted mostly hybrids and decided to grow primarily heirlooms this year.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For you that are putting in tomatoes, what varieties are you growing this year? The last couple of years I have planted mostly hybrids and decided to grow primarily heirlooms this year.
Have you decided which heirlooms? An elderly lady, that had always kept her own seeds, gave my father-in-law, some of the heaviest, most solid tomatoes I've ever seen.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Have you decided which heirlooms? An elderly lady, that had always kept her own seeds, gave my father-in-law, some of the heaviest, most solid tomatoes I've ever seen.
I have picked out a few.
Akers West Virginia
Golden Girl
Big Rainbow
Cherokee Purple
Big Beef (hybrid?)
Mortgage Lifter
Brandy wine Red

17 plants total and need to leave some space for peppers. But could always put a couple or 3 tomatoes.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Heirlooms:
Mortgage Lifter
Pineapple
Gold Medal
Brandywine
Italian Heirloom
German Pink
Black Krim
Cherokee Purple
A green and red striped one that someone gave me seeds to, but didn't know the name.
Italian Roma
San Marzano Roma

Hybrids:
Jet Star
Sungold Cherry
Napa Cherry
Super Sweet 100 Cherry

All grown from seeds.

I love heirloom tomatoes. I only grow the Jet Star because I want something with disease resistance. I still haven't found any reliable cherry tomato varieties yet.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Heirlooms:
Mortgage Lifter
Pineapple
Gold Medal
Brandywine
Italian Heirloom
German Pink
Black Krim
Cherokee Purple
A green and red striped one that someone gave me seeds to, but didn't know the name.
Italian Roma
San Marzano Roma

Hybrids:
Jet Star
Sungold Cherry
Napa Cherry
Super Sweet 100 Cherry

All grown from seeds.

I love heirloom tomatoes. I only grow the Jet Star because I want something with disease resistance. I still haven't found any reliable cherry tomato varieties yet.
That looks like a great list. I finally got all of my tomatoes planted today. Just in time as they are saying we will get about 3.5" of rain over the next 4 days and then a warmup near 80. Hopefully they will respond well to the rain.
I planted them in a mix of my regular garden soil, Black Kow composted manure, mushroom compost and a handful of Tomato Tone organic tomato food. Then watered them in with fish emulsion. When I have to water again I will likely give them another light feeding of fish emulsion and give them more Tomato Tone when they start setting fruit. I am hoping for a good growing season.

I am now searching for this seasons peppers.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
That looks like a great list. I finally got all of my tomatoes planted today. Just in time as they are saying we will get about 3.5" of rain over the next 4 days and then a warmup near 80. Hopefully they will respond well to the rain.
I planted them in a mix of my regular garden soil, Black Kow composted manure, mushroom compost and a handful of Tomato Tone organic tomato food. Then watered them in with fish emulsion. When I have to water again I will likely give them another light feeding of fish emulsion and give them more Tomato Tone when they start setting fruit. I am hoping for a good growing season.

I am now searching for this seasons peppers.
Tomato-Tone is the best fertilizer. I use all of the specific -Tone fertilizers for my trees and plants. Holly-Tone is great for blueberries because it is acidic which they love. All of them are organic. If you want to stay organic use Captain Jack's. It's the best organic bug killer.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Tomato-Tone is the best fertilizer. I use all of the specific -Tone fertilizers for my trees and plants. Holly-Tone is great for blueberries because it is acidic which they love. All of them are organic. If you want to stay organic use Captain Jack's. It's the best organic bug killer.

Thanks for the tip on Captain Jacks. I will see if I can find some locally. I share my garden with family, friends and neighbors so I want to keep it as safe and delicious as possible.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
How many years do untreated lumber last? For the raised beds?

I installed one this year using the stone block retaining wall, but think we may have room for another. But I wouldn't want another hard structure in the backyard so wondering how long a wood one would last before rotting out

I wouldn't want to use pressure treated and Cesar or redwood doesn't seem to be readily available.

Thanks gyys!
Mine lasted a few years before I decided to go to a stone bed.