What's new

gardening

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm jonesing to get my seeds started. Got a new heat mat for this year. Never used one. Always just set seed cells on cable box in entertainment center.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
That's a great idea!

Just started some pepper and tomato seeds.

Going to be taking advantage of the warm weather this week and build a 10 x 7 raised garden bed. My first!

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Had a raised garden at the old house year before last I planted too late and wound up with only one great bean plant and two green beans on it lol. Last year I worked 7 days a week almost 4 months straight so I didnt have time for a garden. im hoping.. cross my fingers I can get a garden going this year at my new place :)

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
We have our seeds started in the house. One hoop house is up and we have some Kale growing in it at the moment. Will be time to plant here before we know it

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Anyone make their own seed starting dirt? I usually buy it but am trying out a 5:1 Peat: Perlite mix this year. Maybe a little lime to cut acidity of peat.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Anyone make their own seed starting dirt? I usually buy it but am trying out a 5:1 Peat: Perlite mix this year. Maybe a little lime to cut acidity of peat.

I've always used a premade starting mix. How much do you plan on making?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
My wife's garden got "run over by progress" when we leveled the yard a few years ago. We're going to garden that section again this year.
The fill soil is blah , however my wife has a mulch pile in the back that the dirt under it is richer than grandma's brownies. That and a few bags of mulch and she'll be rockin.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Small garden but 5 bucks for 8 qts adds up using multiple bags. Doing it yourself comes out to around a buck for 8qts.

So you're talking about dirt for in your garden outside? I thought you meant just for starting seeds inside that takes so little soil.

For outside in my garden I use a garden soil from a soil company that is 1/3 pulverized top soil, 1/3 compost, 1/6 aged cow manure and 1/6 sand. It costs $36 for a cubic yard which is 2 truck loads in my truck (hell of a deal). I get it every other year. On the odd years I use my compost pile.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So you're talking about dirt for in your garden outside? I thought you meant just for starting seeds inside that takes so little soil.

For outside in my garden I use a garden soil from a soil company that is 1/3 pulverized top soil, 1/3 compost, 1/6 aged cow manure and 1/6 sand. It costs $36 for a cubic yard which is 2 truck loads in my truck (hell of a deal). I get it every other year. On the odd years I use my compost pile.
No. I'm talking for seed starting. I transplant my plants into 1 qt pots after the first set of leaves appear.

I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for some soil for the garden. I usually use a few bags of mushroom compost.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
No. I'm talking for seed starting. I transplant my plants into 1 qt pots after the first set of leaves appear.

I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for some soil for the garden. I usually use a few bags of mushroom compost.

Ok. I do the same, but at that point a just use regular potting soil. I get a 2 cubic foot bag of it at Costco for $10, which is plenty.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
So I'm looking to fill my raised bed and I've seen recommendations on a 50/50 mix of top soil and compost.

Anyone have any advice in that regard?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Anyone done hay bale gardening before? My GA red dirt is terrible, so I'm thinking about giving it a shot this year. Would love to hear experiences.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So I'm looking to fill my raised bed and I've seen recommendations on a 50/50 mix of top soil and compost.

Anyone have any advice in that regard?
I would add a little peat moss or fine sand for looseness. Make sure it's good quality top soil so you aren't fighting weeds. What is the compost made up of?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Anyone done hay bale gardening before? My GA red dirt is terrible, so I'm thinking about giving it a shot this year. Would love to hear experiences.

I haven't done my garden in hay bales, but have read good results. I have grown new potatoes in loose straw with good results.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I would add a little peat moss or fine sand for looseness. Make sure it's good quality top soil so you aren't fighting weeds. What is the compost made up of?

I was looking at Humus and Manure or Natures Care really good compost. What would you recommend?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I was looking at Humus and Manure or Natures Care really good compost. What would you recommend?
Aged manure and cotton boll/burr mix is great. The cotton boll really helps break down hard soils. There is a compost called Nature's Blend that is 45% aged cow manure, 45 cotton boll, the last 10 is humus and alfalfa.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Aged manure and cotton boll/burr mix is great. The cotton boll really helps break down hard soils. There is a compost called Nature's Blend that is 45% aged cow manure, 45 cotton boll, the last 10 is humus and alfalfa.

Thanks for the advice brother! I'll look for that at the store this weekend.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0

I played around with it a couple years ago, mostly just for fun - did some gourds and some watermelons. Never had great luck with watermelons to begin with, so I won't call it a total failure... The gourds did alright.

I say try it, especially if you already have old hay bales. Nothing to lose.