What's new

gardening

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
@Lomey @Erikcooper - Any suggestions or advice on blueberries? I'd like to try blueberries but I hear they're difficult; what works for you guys?
They like acidic soil so make sure you amend it with good compost, they hate clay. Use a good fertilizer that is made for azaleas or holly. Holly-Tone is a great organic acidic food. Mulch them with pine straw or peat moss, it raises the acidic level. They don't like to sit in water or be to moist at the roots. You have to have at least 2 different varieties for them to produce. 3 varieties is even better. There are dwarf varieties that only get about 3 ft tall. The regular varieties can get 6 ft or so in Kansas City area. You probably want to make sure you get like sizes. After well established for a few years you can trim back the old wood by 1/3 each year to control them.

Good luck!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My garden could sure use some warmer sunny weather. Everything looks healthy but growth has been minimal on most of my tomato plants and bloom set has been poor. It's been a weird growing season so far.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I replanted today after the Mother's Day massacre. Toms, jalapeños, zucs, cukes back In Mother Earth. (Actually back into about 4 years of composted loam.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear you got something back in the ground brother!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
spring has been busy at our house. We've been concentrating on adding thoughtfully to our property. So far we have added raspberries, apples and a garden yesterday. WE are trying to do our landscapeing with eatables as well. Garden will have cukes, summer squash, spaghetti squash, egg plant, carrots, radishes, peas, beans, tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic and an assortment of herbs. spring has been really exciting watching everything int the woods come alive. We've had a lot of visitors as well. Deer, bear, turkeys, cranes and an assortment of ducks........and one (dead) woodchuck.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
spring has been busy at our house. We've been concentrating on adding thoughtfully to our property. So far we have added raspberries, apples and a garden yesterday. WE are trying to do our landscapeing with eatables as well. Garden will have cukes, summer squash, spaghetti squash, egg plant, carrots, radishes, peas, beans, tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic and an assortment of herbs. spring has been really exciting watching everything int the woods come alive. We've had a lot of visitors as well. Deer, bear, turkeys, cranes and an assortment of ducks........and one (dead) woodchuck.
Sounds great. Would love to see some pictures.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
I have a 4 year old Japanese Maple I transplanted a few weeks ago. These things grow ridiculously slow. My grandmother has one that's about 20 years old and this small one came up beneath it. She moved it to a planter that was still underneath the other and 4 years later it's about 15 inches tall at the most. I'm hoping I can keep it growing cause they're great looking trees

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
LOL, I'm growing trees too. Was pulling weeds a few weeks ago when I recognized some of them to be baby versions of whatever that tree is in my front yard. (Maybe some sort of maple? Is it maple trees that have those little whirly-bird seeds?)

At the time it was more about finding something fun to do with my kiddo, but now that they're in pots, I figure I'll keep 'em growing. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
I moved some small Oaks, that came up under the tree in my front yard, to my backyard. I'm not as concerned with them. They just keep coming up and in 2 weeks they are huge. The maple is so slow I'd hate to lose it

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I have a 4 year old Japanese Maple I transplanted a few weeks ago. These things grow ridiculously slow. My grandmother has one that's about 20 years old and this small one came up beneath it. She moved it to a planter that was still underneath the other and 4 years later it's about 15 inches tall at the most. I'm hoping I can keep it growing cause they're great looking trees

If it's still in the planter. Get it into a good well covered (light wind/partial shade area) of your yard. It is probably root bound and is choking itself out in the planter. Tree roots are typically 2xs the length of the top canopy width. You may even need to do some root pruning when transplanting. It's actually good for a tree with bound roots to be pruned at the roots, so that it doesn't stay girdled. I'd transplant it during early fall.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My tomato plants are looking healthy and most are blooming and setting lots of fruit. I have been having some problem with blossom end rot and looking online found it helps to get a cheap vibrating battery toothbrush and touch the top of each blossom to help pollinate the flower. The quick buzzing basically does what honey bees used to do. I buzzed all the flowers on my 30 plants yesterday afternoon and will see if it helps. Took about 10 minutes and also gave me time to look over the plants for any potential problems. So far looking good.

I do need to fertilize again when I water next but we have been getting so much rain I am going to hold off until the rain is over for a few days.