What's new

gardening

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think I am going to get my soil checked by the county extension early next year and see where I stand. I have just been guessing for 3 years with good results, but I think adding a little science would be beneficial and give me a definitive plan to make improvements in my raised bed.
Its gotta be better than shooting in the dark. Though I will say things didn't just play nice for 3 years your obviously keeping things happy with what your doing.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Anyone have any experience with pepper maggots? I'm finding what I thought was worms in my peppers but now I'm finding out that they are pepper maggots. The only thing I've found online is to hang fly traps above the plants, any other solutions?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Jesse, I had never heard of pepper maggots, but as you probably know the are fly larve. From the little I read, they mostly affect sweet peppers. Didn't see any solution listed other than fly traps.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
never heard of pepper maggots...

A couple peppers I sauteed this weekend with mushrooms....served with smoked ribs.

Awesome looking peppers. What varieties are they? I see a couple of Habs but no clue on the others.

So far I have harvested 177 heirloom tomatoes and haven't made a dent on what's on the plants and they look really healthy which usually isn't the case this far into the season.
I have given tomatoes to 12 families so far and my wife and I are eating tomatoes with nearly every meal and still have about 20 sitting on the counter. Looks like a bumper crop this year.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome looking peppers. What varieties are they? I see a couple of Habs but no clue on the others.

So far I have harvested 177 heirloom tomatoes and haven't made a dent on what's on the plants and they look really healthy which usually isn't the case this far into the season.
I have given tomatoes to 12 families so far and my wife and I are eating tomatoes with nearly every meal and still have about 20 sitting on the counter. Looks like a bumper crop this year.
from left: Datil, Lemon Habanero, Scotch Bonnet (orange) ...the big red one is a NuMex Big Jim. I've picked a few small tomatoes ....patiently waiting for big harvests

Last edited:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0

A spag sauce If you are interested.
11x14 pirex dish x2
Toms cut in half cut side up.
Half bulb of garlic. Cloves whole
Herbs from garden. Oregano, Rosemary.
Zucchini quartered
Yellow squash quartered
Red onion quartered
Olive oil over everything
Salt, pepper (heavy pinch)
40 mins in 400 deg oven.
Purée in blender in batches.
Add one jar of store bought sauce.
Half cup of old Cabernet from fridge.
Let simmer 30 mins.

Throw grilled hot Italian in a for a meat Gravy.
One of the best pasta sauces I have ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
A deer got into my raised bed last night and did some moderate damage. More concerned about it coming back.
Any seasoned gardeners have any tips?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
A deer got into my raised bed last night and did some moderate damage. More concerned about it coming back.
Any seasoned gardeners have any tips?
First off, put up an 8 ft fence around it . You might try putting some root stimulator on them to lessen the shock they are going through. My local garden center always recommends that when a plant or tree suffers some sort of trauma.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
First off, put up an 8 ft fence around it . You might try putting some root stimulator on them to lessen the shock they are going through. My local garden center always recommends that when a plant or tree suffers some sort of trauma.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Yeah I have to make a run to store and grab some fence. Don't know if it actually works, but I put some Irish Spring around it for now.
Shoot 'em!!!

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk.
Hard to get away with that in Jersey! lol

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yeah I have to make a run to store and grab some fence. Don't know if it actually works, but I put some Irish Spring around it for now.

Hard to get away with that in Jersey! lol
Damn. LOL. I agree though with the fence. Sadly, by my girlfriend's house everyone who has a garden or some sort of wildlife and deer have high fences around it for that reason.

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Update- my garden tomato count is up to 820 tomatoes. My largest was 1.68#. I have given tomatoes to 31 families tomatoes, many of them multiple times.
I didn't count the ones that got chewed on by critters or worms or were severely split from a couple of heavy rains.
I am still getting about 30-50 ripe tomatoes a week but the plants are looking severely stressed and haven't set on new fruit during the intense heat over the last several weeks. I have been hoping to reach 1000 (good) tomatoes but I think I will fall short. Next year I think I will drop back to only 10 plants. It's work finding homes for all of these.