What's new

gardening

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
@HIM*
I planted my tomato plants 5 weeks ago and have only watered twice. Lots of rainfall periodically. I think all summer last year I only watered 4 or 5 times. I let it get pretty dry before I give them a drink as I think it helps the roots go deeper looking for moisture. I also always deep water and usually use the opportunity to fertilize. Using Espoma Tomato Tone, Fish Emulsion, Liquid Kelp and a little Epsom Salt (once it twice a season). Once they are well established and get 4-5' tall I them give them some Miracle Grow for tomatoes. Does all of this sound reasonable? Any change suggestions? This is only my 3rd season of gardening.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
My tomato plants are looking healthy and most are blooming and setting lots of fruit. I have been having some problem with blossom end rot and looking online found it helps to get a cheap vibrating battery toothbrush and touch the top of each blossom to help pollinate the flower. The quick buzzing basically does what honey bees used to do. I buzzed all the flowers on my 30 plants yesterday afternoon and will see if it helps. Took about 10 minutes and also gave me time to look over the plants for any potential problems. So far looking good.

I do need to fertilize again when I water next but we have been getting so much rain I am going to hold off until the rain is over for a few days.
@Old Smokey I have had it every year and now follow this guys advice. Last year was the first year with out it. As soon as blooms set I start with the Pelletized lime feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My first Datil! Now I have like 20 ripe peppers.

Some pics of my partial plant out. Aji Melocoton, Hot Beads, Peter Pepper, Dragon Cayenne, Cracked Jalapeno

Bunch of other leggy peppers due to them fighting for light in my grow tent. Aji Jobito, Aji Margariteno, Lemon Habanero, Scotch Bonnet, Orange Thai, Datil

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
@Jfire thanks for the video on BER. I screwed up and I don't have BER, A lot of my blooms aren't getting pollinated and blooms dying. Hahaha I thought that must be what's called BER. Sorry for my dumbass causing confusion.✌

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'd try increasing the Epsom salt to 1-2 small feedings a month. You can foliar feed but I just mix it in with fish emulsion and water normally(for my peppers).

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My tomato plants are looking healthy and most are blooming and setting lots of fruit. I have been having some problem with blossom end rot and looking online found it helps to get a cheap vibrating battery toothbrush and touch the top of each blossom to help pollinate the flower. The quick buzzing basically does what honey bees used to do. I buzzed all the flowers on my 30 plants yesterday afternoon and will see if it helps. Took about 10 minutes and also gave me time to look over the plants for any potential problems. So far looking good.

I do need to fertilize again when I water next but we have been getting so much rain I am going to hold off until the rain is over for a few days.
Spray with liquid calcium for blossom end rot. All the rain is leaching out the calcium. You can find it at any garden center or most big box hardware stores.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
If your flowers are dropping, start shaking your plants a little bit when you walk past. This will help with pollination rate.
I have been doing the shaking, flicking the flowers with my finger and now touching the tops of each flower with a mechanical toothbrush to help release the pollen. I will know how it is working in a few days. Fingers crossed.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Treated bloom end rot with a pack of powdered milk in a five gallon bucket of water.
I would imagine it's the calcium in the powdered milk that is helping. The active ingredient in those flower drop expensive sprays you buy at garden supply stores is calcium. You can even put egg shells in a blender add water and blend. Then pour over your tomatoes. Any way you can get calcium to the plant should work.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
@Old Smokey , Calcium should help with flower drop also. You can buy a bag of gypsum and sprinkle a handful under each plant every 3 weeks. That has helped my garden with both flower drop and blossom end rot. My pepper plants are happier since I have been doing it with them also.
View attachment 82916 View attachment 82917
Thanks for the info. I treated them with Calcium a couple of weeks ago and it looks like problem solved. I have been picking ripe tomatoes almost everyday these last 10 days and so far have harvested 68 of them. But they are loaded with green tomatoes and I haven't even picked 10% of them yet. LOTS of maters!

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@boltman I know calcium is good, especially for flowering plants, but do you think the sulfate might have to do with it as well? I see epsom salt referenced a lot for peppers that won't set fruit amongst other benefits. Calcium sulfate(gypsum)... magnesium sulfate(epsom salt)... Im wondering if theres a connection there.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
@boltman I know calcium is good, especially for flowering plants, but do you think the sulfate might have to do with it as well? I see epsom salt referenced a lot for peppers that won't set fruit amongst other benefits. Calcium sulfate(gypsum)... magnesium sulfate(epsom salt)... Im wondering if theres a connection there.
It might. I'm not sure. I live in the Central Valley of Calif. A huge ag center. and I know they use gypsum as a soil enhancer to break up clay and to help with drainage and such. It is applied by the ton around here.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I think I am going to get my soil checked by the county extension early next year and see where I stand. I have just been guessing for 3 years with good results, but I think adding a little science would be beneficial and give me a definitive plan to make improvements in my raised bed.