What's new

gardening

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Carolina Reapers, Ghost, Orange Thai, Hot Beads & Rosemary, Dragon Cayenne, Datil, Renkl1, Jalapeno, Scotch Bonnet, Aji Jobito, Lemon Habanero and NuMex Big Jim

Close up on the Reapers:

I tried growing reapers two years in a row and had no luck. They would sprout and stay a small plant but never produce flowers. I have had no problems growing habaneros or jalapeños. The only other plant that gave me so much trouble to grow was giant atlantic pumpkins.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had a plant(not a Reaper) do the same thing forever until I moved it into a bigger pot. It wouldn't grow passed like 2 or 3 small leaf sets while any other pepper plant I've grown had no issues with the same root space. I chalked it up to either being a weak seed/finicky plant or that the variety needed a lot more root space for whatever reason. After germinating enough seeds you can see which ones take off and the ones that are a PITA. I think this is why suppliers like pepper Joe say to sprout them all and only keep the best of the sprouts. The viability could be there but that doesn't mean it's going to have strong genetics.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I just killed 2 hours going through this entire thread. Great work fellas. Me and the wife have talked about doing a garden for the last few years and this makes me want to do it even more. Figure I don't have a ton of room but enough to do a 4x16 boxed in bed next year when the time rolls around

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
After the summer crop of tomatoes instead of yanking the mostly dead looking plants, I just left them. Once temps stayed below 90f lots of new growth and fruit set began. They began ripening about 10 days ago and I have harvested about 20 ripe tomatoes. If we don't get a killing frost for a 2-3 more weeks I should get around 100 fall tomatoes.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Picked 23 tomatoes and about a dozen Shishito peppers yesterday from what's left of the garden and made a batch of spaghetti afternoon. Leftovers for lunch today. My wife and I both thought it turned out very good.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Picked 23 tomatoes and about a dozen Shishito peppers yesterday from what's left of the garden and made a batch of spaghetti afternoon. Leftovers for lunch today. My wife and I both thought it turned out very good.
I walked by a Roma plant, looked at the ground and wished I had been paying better attention the last couple of weeks.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Btw, anyone have a good hot sauce recipe they would like to share? Going to use some in salsa, but would like to try making homemade hot sauce.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Btw, anyone have a good hot sauce recipe they would like to share? Going to use some in salsa, but would like to try making homemade hot sauce.
I'm going to make a batch of habanero sauce (my friends dubbed it Incan alarm clock)in the next week or so. I usually just wing it but I'll pay attention this time and try to get recipe put together for you.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm going to make a batch of habanero sauce (my friends dubbed it Incan alarm clock)in the next week or so. I usually just wing it but I'll pay attention this time and try to get recipe put together for you.
Sounds great!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
This had been such a mild and unseasonably warm winter here in middle America. Makes me wonder when to plant this spring. Usually in my area very late April-early May is the norm.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
This had been such a mild and unseasonably warm winter here in middle America. Makes me wonder when to plant this spring. Usually in my area very late April-early May is the norm.
It's been warm here in Central Jersey as well. I'll still wait until Mother's day to plant but looking to start my seedlings in the coming weeks.

StogieFisher

Trolling troll is trolling.
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I've been wondering that as well, many of my perennials are already coming up out of the ground.... Ill probably wait to plant stuff until late april but at least I can harden the plants off early and get them used to full sun if it stays warm.