What's new

gardening

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Our last 10 days or so have had tons of rain, cool temps and cloudy skies. The last 2 days we have had warming temps (73f today) and lots of sunshine. The next 3 days will be near 80 with sunshine. Looks like the garden has survived. A few mornings had been as low as 37f which kinda had me worried. Nothing grew, but nothing died either.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I planted the first week in April @Old Smokey the downside is by August it can get so hot the fruit won't set
We experience the same thing during July and August. Once it gets much above 90f the flowers just don't set fruit. I had always pulled my plants as they are usually looking pretty beat by the end of August. Last year I just left them and when temp began to cool down a little, flowers and tomatoes started again. I harvest 150-200 fall tomatoes last year before the first freeze.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
We experience the same thing during July and August. Once it gets much above 90f the flowers just don't set fruit. I had always pulled my plants as they are usually looking pretty beat by the end of August. Last year I just left them and when temp began to cool down a little, flowers and tomatoes started again. I harvest 150-200 fall tomatoes last year before the first freeze.
That is awesome. Any secrets for a second tomatoe harvest?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
That is awesome. Any secrets for a second tomatoe harvest?
I am sure our growing conditions and climate are quite different. But last year I just let them go instead pulling them. They did the rest.
I think I should have fertilized them again and will if I go for another fall tomato crop.'

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
If anyone has a problem with flowers not pollinating and producing fruit, I learned a trick last year that works. Bees are seldom seen around here to help pollinate the flowers. Get a cheap electric toothbrush and buzz above each flower for a second or two. It does the same thing a bee would do and cause the pollen to drop onto the pistol and pollinate the flower. More fruit set.