What's new

gardening

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0

My son started these at Xmas with a little seed truck. It's actually pretty cool. (Really a truck flatbed with a little green house on the flatbed)
Not much with the garden this year. I'll just buy from my farmer neighbor down the street.
That lil garden bed btw has never seen anything except composted soil over 5 years now.

I never even planted the mint. It escaped from a pot it put close to the herb garden. It's even in the yard now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Question- how much spacing do you give your tomato plants? I was looking at CaptainRon new bed and it looks like a lot of plants in such a small area and triggered this question.
mine are closer together than is recomended. Just look at the label and they'll tell you how far to separate. I'm going to try to single stem them you can theroretically place them pretty close together. We'll see how it works out for me though!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
mine are closer together than is recomended. Just look at the label and they'll tell you how far to separate. I'm going to try to single stem them you can theroretically place them pretty close together. We'll see how it works out for me though!
Ok, single stem makes sense Ron. I do very little pruning on mine and they get very tall and bushy. Last year I planted mine at least 2' apart and I had to crawl on my hands and knees between the rows to pick. This year I planted them about 3' apart and staggered the 2 rows so hopefully I can stay upright to pick. I do cage and stake each plant but even then they can grow beyond that quickly.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Ok, single stem makes sense Ron. I do very little pruning on mine and they get very tall and bushy. Last year I planted mine at least 2' apart and I had to crawl on my hands and knees between the rows to pick. This year I planted them about 3' apart and staggered the 2 rows so hopefully I can stay upright to pick.
Yeah, the indeterminate tomatoes are basically vines that'll keep growing, and spreading, until the freeze and die. I did some reading and video watching about single stemming and thought I'd give it a shot with the hopes of adding more plants to my small beds. I wish I had the space to just let them do their vine thing and let them spread on the ground.

Planning on building a trellis sorts using bamboo that's growing wild behind our house - I harvested a bunch of it last year. I have high hopes, but low expectations :)

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
The last couple of years I have had blossom drop on my habaneros. Cerrano and Jalapeño have been great. I read that this can be helped with less nitrogen and Epsom salts (magnesium ). Anybody have experience with this?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The last couple of years I have had blossom drop on my habaneros. Cerrano and Jalapeño have been great. I read that this can be helped with less nitrogen and Epsom salts (magnesium ). Anybody have experience with this?
I don't have a great deal of experience growing peppers, but have read if they don't have enough water they will drop their blossoms. And I have also heard they don't like very much nitrogen. Too much nitrogen and they basically stop drawing up the nutrients from the soil. Are you growing in containers or in the ground?

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Growing in the ground @Old Smokey. I haven't tested but I have been using a 15-15-15 fertilizer. Plus gypsum. My tomatoes thrive with this. And most peppers. But Habaneros don't seem to like it

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Growing in the ground @Old Smokey. I haven't tested but I have been using a 15-15-15 fertilizer. Plus gypsum. My tomatoes thrive with this. And most peppers. But Habaneros don't seem to like it
You might try adding some calcium to the soil. I just did a little reading on Blossom End Rot on Habs and it said it is caused by calcium deficiency. Hope it helps.