What's new

gardening

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Great start to the garden this year. An early set to the veggies. A couple of varieties of tomato look promising. Even the cucumber and zucchini are setting early.
View attachment 94465 View attachment 94466
View attachment 94467 View attachment 94468
View attachment 94470 View attachment 94471
I grew some Mortgage Lifters last year and they did really well. Excellent taste too. I will grow some more this year if I can find them locally.

I set out 4 Early Girl tomato and 4 NuMex Big Jim yesterday. EG is supposed to have ripe fruit in 50 days which will give me some to eat around the First week of June and if the Big Jims do ok, I see a lot of Chili Rellanos in my future.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
We get a 40lb. sack of fresh New Mexico Green Chiles,the Big Jim variety, sent to us every year by my inlaws.
No need for us to grow those.
Just sayin.
I love Hatch chilis and also get them every year.
I decided to see how they taste in my dirt. A guy that gave me 50# of Bunny Berries a couple of weeks ago said Big Jim is all he grows and loves them.
I haven't been able to find some of the tomato varieties I would like to grow this year. With such an early spring it looks like the greenhouses are running behind the demand. There is an Amish greenhouse about 20 miles away and I will drive over and see what they have this year.
Pippen, what state do you live?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I live in Missouri also.
St.Peters. About 20 miles NW of St.Louis.
What the heck are Bunny Berries?
Bunny Berries are rabbit poop. Great for the garden and do not need to be composted as they will not burn your plants at all. Some folks use 100% rabbit poo instead of soil. Tomatoes
love them.
I buy my Hatch chilis freshly roasted and peeled. I just put in freezer bags and freeze.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well I didn't know where else to put this so if it's in the wrong spot let me know. Though not food I started a little garden project that I have wanted to do for years. Today I put in a container water garden. Found a really neat 3 foot diameter container that gives me about 7 square feet of surface area filled it with water, added some nitrifying bacteria mixture and some general water conditioner, waited two weeks for everything to settle in and planted it this afternoon. In that container is a Blue Pickerel bog plant, a water mint, a mosiac plant, a couple of water hyacinths, and a dwarf Perry's red water lily. Picture doesn't look like much now but I will post photos as the little container pond develops. A man has to have some things in his life over than cigars and whiskey.
IMG_5556.jpg

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
That's really interesting, so the bacteria produces the nitrogen to feed the plants and it sustains itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nitrosomonas species (among others) convert ammonia (NH3) from excess nutrients in the water to nitrite (N02-), while Nitrobacter species (among others) convert nitrite to nitrate (NO3-). So establishing bacterial colonies in the gravel helps this process that converts ammonia->nitrite->nitrates. Keeps the water healthy.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I finally finished planting my veg garden yesterday. I am growing 20 tomato plants and 6 peppers. If they don't drown this weekend from the 5-8" of rain forecast. They are all planted in raised rows and the garden drains well, so hopefully they will be fine.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I got my garden going a couple weeks ago. Luckily I think I made it thru the cold snaps and massive amounts of rain.

The stone block wall bed is one I made last year. The ground is mostly the existing with some amendments added. Last year was a test for me and my first garden in 20 years or more. I added 2 or 3 bags of good dirt last year and dug it in. This year I added 3 more bags of organic raised bed soil and a bag of leaf compost and dug it all in again. The ground is getting better, but a long way to go.

The other one was made this year out of 2x10's and filled with bags of organic (whatever that's supposed to mean) soil and a couple bags of leaf compost all mixed up. This was planted at the exact same time as the first one with plants from the same place and it looks to me to be growing much better. I can only guess it's because of the better quality dirt in there.

And finally a couple planter of flowers that my wife got. They got a little dry before they went in the pots so I hope they live.

This is only my second year trying to grow. Very excited about it and hoping for tons of veggies for the family!
20170430_163247.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Looks good Ron. We have had so much rain here in MO the Governor declared a State of Emergency last night. I checked my garden this morning and it looked ok. I will be glad when the sun shines and warms up and hopefully a good growing season.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I got my garden going a couple weeks ago. Luckily I think I made it thru the cold snaps and massive amounts of rain.

The stone block wall bed is one I made last year. The ground is mostly the existing with some amendments added. Last year was a test for me and my first garden in 20 years or more. I added 2 or 3 bags of good dirt last year and dug it in. This year I added 3 more bags of organic raised bed soil and a bag of leaf compost and dug it all in again. The ground is getting better, but a long way to go.

The other one was made this year out of 2x10's and filled with bags of organic (whatever that's supposed to mean) soil and a couple bags of leaf compost all mixed up. This was planted at the exact same time as the first one with plants from the same place and it looks to me to be growing much better. I can only guess it's because of the better quality dirt in there.

And finally a couple planter of flowers that my wife got. They got a little dry before they went in the pots so I hope they live.

This is only my second year trying to grow. Very excited about it and hoping for tons of veggies for the family!
View attachment 95442

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Hey Ron, looks great. In that natural soil bed, till or dig in a bag of play sand with your compost next year. It really opens up the hard soil. I add a bag or 2 every couple of years to our crappy clay dirt here in KC.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk