What's new

gardening

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
So now the real question- what are your plans for the ghost peppers lol. I have a few I just cant figure out exactly what I want to do with them other than a novelty "hey eat this and ill give you $10 if you dont ralph" lol
I have 6 jalapeno plants, 4 Serrano, 2 habanero, 1 New Mexico Red, and 4 ghost (3 after the hammered one) peppers. We go through hot sauce like you wouldn't believe at our house. I am going to try a carrot based hot sauce this week. Tomato based is what we normally do. What doesn't get used to make salsa gets dried and ground up into crushed red pepper. We sprinkle this on our pizza. Some is used to sprinkle around the house where we don't want the dogs to go. It works like a charm. My dogs like to dig up the lawn looking for a cool spot in the summer. When I pour ground up habanero on the lawn the dogs give it a wide berth. Hilarious!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have 6 jalapeno plants, 4 Serrano, 2 habanero, 1 New Mexico Red, and 4 ghost (3 after the hammered one) peppers. We go through hot sauce like you wouldn't believe at our house. I am going to try a carrot based hot sauce this week. Tomato based is what we normally do. What doesn't get used to make salsa gets dried and ground up into crushed red pepper. We sprinkle this on our pizza. Some is used to sprinkle around the house where we don't want the dogs to go. It works like a charm. My dogs like to dig up the lawn looking for a cool spot in the summer. When I pour ground up habanero on the lawn the dogs give it a wide berth. Hilarious!
wowza. Im for sure going to have to take some pointers. If you have any crowd favorite recipes please send them my way! I have a lot of peppers sitting in the freezer currently- few ghosts, several jalapenos/habs, some scorpions, scotch bonnets, and my favorite so far, the douglah 7-pot. Such an awesome flavor with that pepper. Have made salsas and even cooked it with some popcorn seeds...its got a bite but it is really good.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
wowza. Im for sure going to have to take some pointers. If you have any crowd favorite recipes please send them my way! I have a lot of peppers sitting in the freezer currently- few ghosts, several jalapenos/habs, some scorpions, scotch bonnets, and my favorite so far, the douglah 7-pot. Such an awesome flavor with that pepper. Have made salsas and even cooked it with some popcorn seeds...its got a bite but it is really good.
That sounds great. Hot popcorn. I'll let you know how the carrot based salsa goes.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I made my chocolate morugas, 7pot bg, brain strain, and carolina reapers into powder using a dehydrator and coffee grinder. This was from an order of peppers. My own plants need another month. Also making tomato powder.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I made my chocolate morugas, 7pot bg, brain strain, and carolina reapers into powder using a dehydrator and coffee grinder. This was from an order of peppers. My own plants need another month. Also making tomato powder.
Lmao that powder sounds excruciating

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Oh it is, but it took on a smokey flavor. It was the only way to store the peppers long term. I have a few frozen as well.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Time for updates.

I've been canning quarts and quarts of dill pickles and pints and pints of bread & butter pickles. I've decided to stop even though the cucumbers are still going strong. It was the same with the green beans. Just can't keep going forever!

We turned our tomatoes into spaghetti sauce. I may do another round of that or salsa. We'll see what I feel like doing. Our tomatoes were hit by some sort of fungus, so I think we were short-changed, but they tried hard!
IMAG1383.jpg

These guys are next on my hit list...
IMAG1379.jpg

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
OK, way to early to carve pumpkins. That means we must eat them!
IMAG1522.jpg

Some were chopped up for canning. These will make great bars and pies around the Holidays.
IMAG1523.jpg
IMAG1534.jpg

Some we cooked up for immediate use. Cut in half, gut, and bake. Puree the meat and it's ready to use.
IMAG1526.jpg

These will make great snacks. Just need to salt and roast them.
IMAG1527.jpg

Rating - 100%
18   0   0

Started some seeds today. 9 different peppers, 12 different tomatoes, red and white onions and brussel sprouts in this flat. I've never done brussel sprouts so I hope they work out.
Nice. I'm going to hold off till end of March. I dont plant until after the last full moon in May (grandpa's rule). That's scheduled for May 21st so...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Nice. I'm going to hold off till end of March. I dont plant until after the last full moon in May (grandpa's rule). That's scheduled for May 21st so...

In KS Mother's Day is the rule to plant. We have had such a mild winter I think we can get them in a little early this year.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
In KS Mother's Day is the rule to plant. We have had such a mild winter I think we can get them in a little early this year.

I'm jonesing to get my seeds started. Got a new heat mat for this year. Never used one. Always just set seed cells on cable box in entertainment center.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm jonesing to get my seeds started. Got a new heat mat for this year. Never used one. Always just set seed cells on cable box in entertainment center.

I've never used one, but have thought about getting one. I sit mine in a spare bedroom that I keep the door shut with the heat vents open to keep it warm. Let me know how the heat mat goes and if it makes for faster germination.