What's new

General Habanos Discussion

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks for the info brother. Like I said I really don't have much experience with CC's so any information is definitely helpful.
From my understanding, there are more codes than those, the codes change periodically, and quality can still vary based on batches of tobacco they're using and various other factors. Not to mention that people have different preferences.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
From my understanding, there are more codes than those, the codes change periodically, and quality can still vary based on batches of tobacco they're using and various other factors. Not to mention that people have different preferences.
Yea I kind of came to that conclusion just on the relative subjectivity of assessing what's premium or not, I was thinking more along the lines of better construction, and cultivation or fermentation practices. But those are generally universal to some extent depending on the type of tobacco, except for the little differences in the techniques/methods used. Thanks @Glassman! I did not know that the codes changed however... I thought the codes were specific to the factory and were just assigned and stayed with them.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Yea I kind of came to that conclusion just on the relative subjectivity of assessing what's premium or not, I was thinking more along the lines of better construction, and cultivation or fermentation practices. But those are generally universal to some extent depending on the type of tobacco, except for the little differences in the techniques/methods used. Thanks @Glassman! I did not know that the codes changed however... I thought the codes were specific to the factory and were just assigned and stayed with them.
No, according to, I think, cubancigarwebsite.com and other places, the codes are changed to try to prevent some some selling out while others are left unsold.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Codes always change every couple years, but you can get a good feel for what codes the new codes are on some factories. I'm big into code hunting, but others don't think its important at all. Generally, I feel if you buy from one the big four factories (El Laguito, Partagas, La Corona and Upmann), you've got a great chance at getting a nice looking box. @Burnaz16 for your reference heres a follow up on code transitions from 14 that I know as of now:
El Laguito: MUO -> AMO -> UAO (current code)
Partagas: ULA -> ETP -> MSU (current code)
La Corona: EML -> TOS -> LEP (current code)
Upmann: LUB -> MEG -> BRE (not 100%, but I'm pretty sure)

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
why do you rest them at a higher RH ?
I have a notion that the higher rh helps cigars retain their natural oils, but that they smoke better at the lower rh. So I age them at the higher rh then smoke them at the lower rh.

I could be totally wrong, but from what I’ve read and heard and experienced over the years, this is what I’ve decided on and it works for me.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Codes always change every couple years, but you can get a good feel for what codes the new codes are on some factories. I'm big into code hunting, but others don't think its important at all. Generally, I feel if you buy from one the big four factories (El Laguito, Partagas, La Corona and Upmann), you've got a great chance at getting a nice looking box. @Burnaz16 for your reference heres a follow up on code transitions from 14 that I know as of now:
El Laguito: MUO -> AMO -> UAO (current code)
Partagas: ULA -> ETP -> MSU (current code)
La Corona: EML -> TOS -> LEP (current code)
Upmann: LUB -> MEG -> BRE (not 100%, but I'm pretty sure)
Cass, are you aware of multiple codes coming out of the same factory at the same time?

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Cass, are you aware of multiple codes coming out of the same factory at the same time?
Ive heard that, but a lot of it is simply conjecture. I've yet to see hard evidence, but some people feel as though its certainly plausible. I've heard rumors of SOM being a second El Laguito code (mainly because of BHK production and Phoenicia 35th boxes mentioning El Laguito,) which by extension would mean that RAE and ALT were also El Laguito. Based on some of the cigars that were produced, I find that unlikely. Cabs of Party Shorts and Punch Punch at EL...seems like a stretch to me. However, I will say that if I didn’t see it for myself I would’ve laughed at the idea of Monte 4 5x5s being rolled at El Laguito, but that’s something that did happen. The codes I listed above don't leave doubt for where they were produced, whereas second factory codes are definitely a grey area.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
I have a notion that the higher rh helps cigars retain their natural oils, but that they smoke better at the lower rh. So I age them at the higher rh then smoke them at the lower rh.

I could be totally wrong, but from what I’ve read and heard and experienced over the years, this is what I’ve decided on and it works for me.
Interesting ! Sounds like it’d be worth trying

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
For older codes here's a great reference from FOH: http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/topic/115996-factory-codes/
That's the most comprehensive list of older codes that I know of and is worth a bookmark IMO.
I’ve seen that reference list before, but it is rather dated. There is a large empty gap between where that list ends and now. I’ve always thought someone should comprise a more current database of factory codes. Someone probably with some knowledge of and passion for the subject. Someone maybe living in a state just to the north of me. Someone...someone...

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So, I was headed outside to do some light yard work and decided to grab a PSD4. It’s been sitting at 65RH / 68F in a Sistema tupperdore for a bit (loose band).

Fired it up and this happened about 1/2 way in. Any insights as to why this happens? I’ve had it happen to a few smokes in the past, but this one was surprising.

image.jpg

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
So, I was headed outside to do some light yard work and decided to grab a PSD4. It’s been sitting at 65RH / 68F in a Sistema tupperdore for a bit (loose band).

Fired it up and this happened about 1/2 way in. Any insights as to why this happens? I’ve had it happen to a few smokes in the past, but this one was surprising.

View attachment 111568
Probably a combination of humidity from the humidor vs outside and it looks like that is pretty thin wrapper on the PSD4.

I usually drybox mine for a day or few days and never have a problem, dry boxing will also help with any tight draw cigars from a box.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Probably a combination of humidity from the humidor vs outside and it looks like that is pretty thin wrapper on the PSD4.

I usually drybox mine for a day or few days and never have a problem, dry boxing will also help with any tight draw cigars from a box.
I know SoCal is dry but DAMN, haha. Seems logical - going from a controlled 65RH to whatever it is outside. Since I never know what I’m going to want to smoke until it’s time to fire up, dry boxing might be a little challenging, but I’ll try to give it a shot sometime.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I know SoCal is dry but DAMN, haha. Seems logical - going from a controlled 65RH to whatever it is outside. Since I never know what I’m going to want to smoke until it’s time to fire up, dry boxing might be a little challenging, but I’ll try to give it a shot sometime.
Looks like a wonky burn too, not quite canoeing. Probably a one off, like I said wrapper looks thin and had had them blow out that the seam/steam.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Anybody visited Cuba to make some purchases? Was just wondering if the prices are any different (i.e., cheaper) there than you can find on any of the online vendors?

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Anybody visited Cuba to make some purchases? Was just wondering if the prices are any different (i.e., cheaper) there than you can find on any of the online vendors?
Google "cuba price lists for cigars" and you will come up with a link

They do have great prices, however... inventory is weak from time to time. A buddy of mine travels there often for pleasure(single guy #yuherd). He brings me back some stuff every now and then. However, he speaks the native tongue and has found out that a lot of the foreigners who frequent the area will slip "tips" at the shop owners to reserve boxes and special releases. The good stuff is harder to find. But you can find a lot of regular production. But if youre going for LE or Behikes etc... you won't have luck.

The prices on most vendors are not too far from what they charge in Cuba tho. Look up that spreadsheet and you can determine if its worth flying in just to pick up cigars.

I would love to go, but im not really impressed by what I've been told. Id get bored of going just to sit at the shops smoking. I heard the night life is not great at all.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Google "cuba price lists for cigars" and you will come up with a link

They do have great prices, however... inventory is weak from time to time. A buddy of mine travels there often for pleasure(single guy #yuherd). He brings me back some stuff every now and then. However, he speaks the native tongue and has found out that a lot of the foreigners who frequent the area will slip "tips" at the shop owners to reserve boxes and special releases. The good stuff is harder to find. But you can find a lot of regular production. But if youre going for LE or Behikes etc... you won't have luck.

The prices on most vendors are not too far from what they charge in Cuba tho. Look up that spreadsheet and you can determine if its worth flying in just to pick up cigars.

I would love to go, but im not really impressed by what I've been told. Id get bored of going just to sit at the shops smoking. I heard the night life is not great at all.
I went for 5 days last Aug. Prices on some things are a lot cheaper. Some not. Chuck is right. The night life is nothing special. Neither are the beaches. Havana is wonderful from a historical standpoint if you're into that. I am. Havana is not so awesome for accommodations and standard of living. It was a once in a lifetime trip for me, no need to go back for me.