What's new

General Habanos Discussion

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Thanks @ChuckMejia and @BenS for your input! I am definitely into the historical aspects of the island but I doubt that would be something I'd want to fill the entire trip with. Probably not anything I'll be doing anytime soon anyway, I was more so just wondering how much the prices varied. Thanks again guys!

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The more in demand a vitola is in the states, the higher the markup from grey market vendors. I.e. siglo 6, sir Winston, espy, vigia, etc.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So, can anyone give me the rundown on wrapper colors? I've been searching around and haven't found anything really descriptive or definitive. Pictures or a good link would be great too.
So what are the various colors, names, shades, and indications?
I've seen Claro, Rosado, Colorado, Colorado Claro, are there others, and what do they mean?
I'm guessing Colorado is that medium reddish hue? And is there a name for that tan with the twinge of grayish green? Names for the darker wrapper shades? Are the nice light ones just referred to as CT?
It's funny in reading old posts from searching, it seems like lot of guys used to prefer the darker wrappers, where everyone now seems to want as light as possible.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jumping in here off topic-ish.

Anyone have info on the black light bands? I have a 2016 5er of monte 2s that have the uv show up under black light and 2017s from a well known legit vendor that don’t. Everything else on this box checks out except no UV band. 20213B80-AB9C-443C-82D2-8845C3B876BD.jpeg

2016 on top and 2017 bottom.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Jumping in here off topic-ish.

Anyone have info on the black light bands? I have a 2016 5er of monte 2s that have the uv show up under black light and 2017s from a well known legit vendor that don’t. Everything else on this box checks out except no UV band. View attachment 115267

2016 on top and 2017 bottom.
My guess is that is what is known as "Cuba being Cuba"... There have been threads about the inconsistencies of labels. End cut, design, using up old labels, etc. I think the non foil embossed Monte labels were showing up in boxes long past when they were supposed to have been done being used. Ie, supposed to be discontinued in 13 I think, but still being used in some vitolas into 15.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I Amazon’d a little black light flashlight just for shit like this. :android: I have zero control over myself.
Haha! Uv reactive glass has been really hot in the glass world the last few years. I haven't really messed with it much yet though. (I didn't even realize they started adding that to bands..)
What color wrappers did you end up with on those Montes? ;)

Opforty

B&M Bomber
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
So, can anyone give me the rundown on wrapper colors? I've been searching around and haven't found anything really descriptive or definitive. Pictures or a good link would be great too.
So what are the various colors, names, shades, and indications?
I've seen Claro, Rosado, Colorado, Colorado Claro, are there others, and what do they mean?
I'm guessing Colorado is that medium reddish hue? And is there a name for that tan with the twinge of grayish green? Names for the darker wrapper shades? Are the nice light ones just referred to as CT?
It's funny in reading old posts from searching, it seems like lot of guys used to prefer the darker wrappers, where everyone now seems to want as light as possible.

L to R:
Double Claro
Claro
Colorado Claro
Colorado
Colorado Maduro
Maduro
Oscuro

Much of it has to do with the strain, how/where it was grown, how it was fermented, etc. (how much dye you slather on it if it's a Rock Patel stick )

CT refers to Connecticut, so I'd hazard a guess that you won't find any of that in habanos products. I'm not sure if it was brought over during colonization or it was the strain being grown by natives in the CT valley area? So when you see something like "Ecuadorian CT shade" that's the CT valley strain grown under shade in Ecuador.

Feel free to chime in if I missed/got something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
" tan with the twinge of grayish green?"
I call that one Khaki.
Looove me some Khaki.
Brindled wrappers appeal to me as well.
I really don't care for Oscuro, it can be uneven and burn poorly,and you will find them dyed sometimes.
Colorado Claro is probably the easiest to sell,it is also known as "English Market Selection".

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
All Habanos suck just pass on them

Ask @Glassman hes got the full scoop with data to back it up
My bad. Thought you were being helpful or that maybe you were being creatively insulting. Either of which would have been refreshing.
But turns out you're still just trolling Jeremy because he has an opinion that differs from yours.
Carry on, then.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
My bad. Thought you were being helpful or that maybe you were being creatively insulting. Either of which would have been refreshing.
But turns out you're still just trolling Jeremy because he has an opinion that differs from yours.
Carry on, then.
Just spreading awareness based on his experience

No trolling bro

Never that

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Carry on, then.
He actually agrees with me, he just finds it perversely humorous to ridicule me. (not a Brandon kind of perverse..) ;)
#didyourbrainprocessandretainmyresponse
"Dark wrappered cubans are gross" - ChuckMejia #consistency

"only buy from vendors who will show you pics of the open box, so much trash out there.." - ChuckMejia #consistency