What's new

Google Chrome: Worth Downloading?

Should I Download Google Chrome And Make The Switch From Internet Explorer?

• Total voters

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
IE should be banned from being used by anyone. It's a terrible web browser. Firefox or Chrome or Opera, or even Safari. I prefer one of the former three though. I use Chrome and Firefox on a regular basis at work. Then only Safari since most of my tools require Safari (work for apple, they build internal stuff only to Safari.. bastards..)/

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
so I was concerned about IE bookmarks, but it just dawned on me that I don't even use IE bookmarks, I use Google toolbar bookmarks (which, it turns out, matters naught because they both import). But it is crazy to me how much faster Chrome is!

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Chrome locks up on me ALL the time. Oddly enough, it only locks up when I'm searching Google.

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
so I was concerned about IE bookmarks, but it just dawned on me that I don't even use IE bookmarks, I use Google toolbar bookmarks (which, it turns out, matters naught because they both import). But it is crazy to me how much faster Chrome is!
Yup. IE is just slow. Chrome, Firefox, etc all zip along a bit quicker. Plus with extensions (at least in Firefox, you can block ads, tweak it to be even faster, etc..)

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I tried chrome for several months and it was the worst browser I've ever used.
What makes it the worst browser you've ever used?

I use Chrome and Firefox on a regular basis at work. Then only Safari since most of my tools require Safari (work for apple, they build internal stuff only to Safari.. bastards..)/
If you use both Chrome and Firefox, are there different situations that require different browsers?

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
What makes it the worst browser you've ever used?

If you use both Chrome and Firefox, are there different situations that require different browsers?
Not usually. Just convenience to keep some stuff separated here. I usually use Chrome for my non-work related stuff. Firefox, for all my work documentation stuff, then Safari for tools access.

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I try to keep work and personal separate, so by default I just use 3 browsers. I tend to do a lot of cache/cookies resets within Safari and Firefox since I may potentially be accessing a customer's account for testing purposes and need to clear any local personal information out. So Chrome being the one my product doesn't support, I just use it for my personal stuff.

Safari: I work for Apple. All of our tools are built specifically for Safari, not for any other browsers. My usual go to browser is Firefox, but some tools just won't play nice with it, so I default to Safari for my tools access.

Firefox: Some neat built in features like able to use the address bar for searching for previously used KBs, FF has all my documentation bookmarks and I won't lose my place if I have to reset safari after some testing or a tool goes wonky on me. Plus the numerous extensions that Firefox has allows me to block ads, rename tabs to whatever I want, and even color code tabs which is helpful for when I'm working multiple cases at once.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Just a note-for everyone mentioning the incognito function-Firefox also allows Private Browsing. It's not exclusive to Chrome.

edit: sweet irony. To back up my earlier post-Chrome just froze up on me. Switched from BOTL tab to my Google tab, and it froze as soon as I tried to edit a search. Then you get to ctrl+alt+del and hit all 72 Chrome processes till you find the one that is frozen.

I still use it, but it's a giant pain in the ass.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I try to keep work and personal separate, so by default I just use 3 browsers. I tend to do a lot of cache/cookies resets within Safari and Firefox since I may potentially be accessing a customer's account for testing purposes and need to clear any local personal information out. So Chrome being the one my product doesn't support, I just use it for my personal stuff.

Safari: I work for Apple. All of our tools are built specifically for Safari, not for any other browsers. My usual go to browser is Firefox, but some tools just won't play nice with it, so I default to Safari for my tools access.

Firefox: Some neat built in features like able to use the address bar for searching for previously used KBs, FF has all my documentation bookmarks and I won't lose my place if I have to reset safari after some testing or a tool goes wonky on me. Plus the numerous extensions that Firefox has allows me to block ads, rename tabs to whatever I want, and even color code tabs which is helpful for when I'm working multiple cases at once.
Thanks! Wasn't trying to be pushy, I was just curious about specific advantages and disadvantages and you pretty much summed it up. Thanks!