What's new

Got me a new project!

Ed Monton

Sir Winston
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Nice project. A while back I bought a large antique desk top off ebay, the mahogany type with the tin liner on the inside. I lined it with 3/8" spanish cedar placed on the inside of the tin. Turned out really nice but looking at yours makes me think maybe mine is too small. Any way, real nice project you've got there.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thanks fellas!

I bought the Spanish cedar at a local hardwood flooring shop and paid $4.87 per bf. I took home a big 4/4" x 10" x 8' slap for about $45. All of the jointing was done on a table saw.

The Spanish cedar veneer which I used for the front edges was $20!!! from Woodcraft. Crazy.

The lock and this key cover (D):

arrived today. Plan is to finish her up today.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Jacob...
That thing looks fantastic!! who cares if it's not perfect? you can say YOU did this, and it's a nice looking piece!!
Great work. Enjoy it!

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Well, she's all done:

I ended up going with this lock: http://www.vandykes.com/product/206580/49891 which is the smallest and pretty much the only left handed cabinet lock I could find. The problem is the damn thing is only lockable when the key is in it. So much for security! I also think leaving the key in is ugly as hell. I emailed the people I bought the lock from to see if there is some setting or way I can key change the key & lock position. Maybe someone here who is smarter than I can help.

The cabinet survived being dragged back and forth to the shop many times and shipped across the country to my new home, California, with only minor injuries. I'm really happy with how it turned out and I hope she maintains humidity. I'm optimistic based on the "whoosh" sound the door makes when I close it.

Now all I need are custom drawers from mad_sv, I can't decide whether I want the full top half covered in a 3 drawer system or if I should only 2 do and leave space for 1-2 more boxes, and to find a decent key hold cover to cover up the gnarly mess where the key is now.

Last edited:

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Jacob, that is an absolutely beautiful cabinet. Very nice job and I am sure you will enjoy it. Post some pics when you do get the drawer(s) installed.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Wow...just found this thread. Great job on the cabinet. It's really a great looking cabinet.

As far as it not being perfect...It's custom! You'll never find another one like it. But if you do....you'll have another project.

Also, the last pic shows the top. I really love the way the grain is on the top. Freaking awesome. Could you get a close up of the top?

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thanks man. I'll post a photo later tonight of the top.

Few updates:
The lock issue has been resolved and I can now remove the key. Problem was the tooth of the key was too long and had to be filed down.

Mike is in process of fashioning me up some of his famous drawers. I have 12" full extension rails they'll be mounted on.

I'm currently looking for a decorative keyhole cover to hide the nastyness that is the keyhole.

Tonight I hope to make some process on a wifi Tweeting hygrometer which will post updates here:http://twitter.com/MyHumdior :)

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
"I'm currently looking for a decorative keyhole cover to hide the nastyness that is the keyhole."

I leave my key in my cabinet all the time, to finding a "key tassel" and hanging it on there, that kinda distracts from the lock thingy for me.