What's new

Got me a new project!

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I made good progress today but I was hoping to have finished. I'd say I'm about 90% done not counting the drawers which I might just put off for 7 months or so.

Here's the interior all framed out with the plywood fitting perfectly:

These are the Spanish Cedar board which I will be lining the interior with. Notice the lap joints which I will space out 1/16" to allow for expansion when humidified.

I applied a Spanish cedar veneer on the leading edge of the plywood that will be exposed when the door is open

And finally, from the big cedar board, this is all that I have left:

That's how the interior panels started out before cut down. I plan on (eventually) using that remaining cedar to built 3 pull-out drawers for loose cigars in the top half of the humidor. Below the divider will be for boxes.

Next update will come Tuesday.

Last edited:

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This is one sweet project. Is the plywood staying in there? It would get awful heavy. If it is then why, is it because original cabinet is not solid wood?

:chat:

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I don't want to nail directly into the original piece. While heavy, the plywood preserves the original condition of the cabinet.

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Oh I see. That is good. Suppose in 50 years some one wants to use it as something other than a humidor they can take out the cedar. Keep us updated cant wait to see it all finished and of coarse full.

:chat:

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Made more good progress tonight, however, not quite enough to finish the project off. Sadly I leave in 4 days for SE Asia where I'll be the for the next 7 months. This job will have to wait.

I got approx. 1/2 of the lining in:

Looking pretty

Spanish Cedar veneer looking sharp.

Humidor goodies impatiently waiting to start serving

And the dangerously overrcrowded desktop that was hoping to be evacuated tonight:

I'll be back in March 2010 with updates.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Thats a sweet job. That definitely won't be an eyesore and you could put a lamp or something on top of it and nobody would know its a humidor.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Alright. It's basically done now. I was planning on using magnets to keep the door closed but since I didn't allow for enough room for the foam gasket it's too tight of a squeeze for a magnet. Now I'm looking into a lock which will keep it clamped down. Since the door and frame are already mortised from a previous lock application it shouldn't be hard to install.

Here's the finished product:

Although it's not perfect, I'm very pleased with how it came out. As a smart guy in the shop said, "If I wanted it perfect, I shoulda bought it."

I'm still debating whether to put shelves in the top for singles or to leave it open for boxes.

This is the lock I'll be going with:

Anyone know where I can get keyhole cover like this one in the top right? The lock I need doesn't come with one.

Thanks!

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
Most Michaels or Joanne Fabric stores have keyhole covers cheap... I was at Michaels the other day and they had a pack of 6 different style ones for use on their craft boxes and what not.

Woodcraft.com is another option for basic brass covers.

Good luck, the project is looking awesome!

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Very Nice Work there bro. Brings tears to my eyes. I remember when ...

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
He pretty much did the lining like I did (spacing required for swelling). Spanish by me is $9.99 for a 1/4" thick 4"X36".