What's new

Got me a new project!

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
wow! great collection there kafreeman. Beautiful assortment and restoration on that chest. Be sure to post pics throughout your work on this project! I'd love to see your progress all the way through to a finished project.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jacob,
LOL at Ron. I remember when he was going to modify one of my humidors. I almost asked him if I needed to send him a hammer & screwdriver....

I like your plan for the interlocking panels. I never looked at doing a retrofit quite that way, but it's very ingenious. I would probably use 1/2" composite with mahogany already on the surface, so there is no worry about cedar expansion on the substrate.

One does probably need a table saw,jig saw, a good hand saw & sander for the project. To get the tight fit you will need for the parts to interlock & the precise alignment for the door seal, there will be a bit of custom shaving & fitting.

cheers,
Bob Staebell

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Spent the day helping Grandma move and when all was said and done she had more furniture than could fit in her place. One item she was getting rid of was this beautiful phonograph cabinet built at the turn of the century. It's built like a tank with 1" solid panelling on all sides. I was lucky and she let me have it. My plans are to turn it into a humidor. I'm going to remove the existing shelf, line it with Spanish cedar and instal 3 pull-out drawers. I begin woodworking courses next week and I'm excited to get started on this project.

Jacob

My guess is that this is a hand carved cabinet. Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship. I wish you the best of luck in your effort here. That will definitely make for a fantastic humidor. The wood almost looks like Macassar Ebony with a red stain added to it. Stunning piece any way you look at it.

Bill,

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Update tonight:

After doing some research I learned that my local community center has a woodshop and $7 gets you 4 hours of time!!! Reading this online I was skeptical but once I saw the shop I couldn't believe it... Top notch equipment, helpful woodworking master to offer guidance on people's projects, and did I mention $7? I spent two hours in there tonight on the nice huge StopSaw table and I made great progress. The interior box is 90% done. I made the box out of cheap 1/2" plywood from HD. Phase two will be milling down a 1" rough cut Span. Cedar plank in 1/4" strips with a tongue and groove interlocking to line the plywood box. The strips will be tack nailed into the box. I figure lining it with the strips will add a nice finish to the interior and hide any mistakes made on the plywood and also since the strips will be tack nailed and spacious thanks to the tongue and groove, they should have plenty of room to expand once humidified. Tomorrow I'll pick up the rough cut cedar. This is so much fun!

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
$40 got me more than enough Spanish Cedar than I'll need for this project, a nice 8' x 10" x 1" rough cut board, not bad at all!

I'm going to mill it down to 1/4" thickness which will then be tack nailed to the interior in 2.5" tongue and groove interlocking strips.

The small pile of wood in the foreground is the finished plywood interior box.

Jacob

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Great job so far Jacob!

Thanks for keeping us posted of your progress with that "soon to be" humidor of yours!

(Thanks Grandma!!!)

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thanks guys. Laser eye surgery and a family vacation is putting this project on hold for a week. I hope to get back at it and finish on Aug. 18.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
"Laser eye surgery"

Now you are probably gonna see what you missed the first time around.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Picked up a pound of 65% beads and bag, an oust fan, and a box of Verocu No. 9s to get the cabinet off right. I'll resume work Tuesday.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's gonna be awesome when you finish. You'll have an "Heirloom Humidor" and probably as good as anything you could buy. I'm glad to see you chose the 65% beads. I was bustin wrappers when I was using 70%.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Anyone know where I can get drawer rails like these?

Can I cut them down to length or do I need to buy them to spec?

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Made good progress tonight at the shop. Got all of the plywood liner faces done. They fit together well but some tweaking is needed to get it perfect. I also began cutting down the Span. cedar and made some paneling strips. If all goes well, I hope to finish it up this Saturday and I'll have pix then regarless, I promise.