What's new

Guillotine, V-cut, or punch?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I use Guillotine most times Punch when I just to lazy and have a nice Vcut but only used it a couple of times. Seeing most of the cigars I smoke don't cut well with a V or a Punch :) So Guillotine is my go too. Last night when I smoked a Cigar from 3/5King I did use a Punch and I am not kidding when I say that thing punched back. Only little bit until I put the NUB in the Pipe to finish it. Darn Fine cigar

James

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started smoking cigars in the 80's, a Macanudo Baron de Rothschild was my cigar of choice. Someone gave me a punch cutter (that I still have) and I loved using it for the clean cut. However, as I started trying larger ring gauge cigars, I didn't always get a good draw and acquired a couple single blade guillotine cutters which, when new, worked pretty well. Next, I'd read about cigar scissors that came on a Wenger Swiss Army Knife and how brilliant they were and picked one of those up. They work extremely well but I don't think that model is available any longer. My last cutter (sometime after the turn of the century) was a first generation Xikar X1 and that's what I still use today. I haven't tried a V cutter and don't expect to as I'm satisfied with what I use.

Edited to add that Wenger has a new generation of the cigar cutter SAK:

http://www.knifeworks.com/wengercigarcutterwithscissors.aspx#.VU-PumYyBpk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a 7mm Xikar from Amazon today just because I wanted to see if it was any better than the Peterson punch cutter I currently use. Since my post earlier, I also have used the SAK cigar scissors a couple times and forgot just how good those are.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Xikar punch the other day and have used it a couple times now. Very nice. I hadn't appreciated just how dull my Peterson had become. Hope it stays sharp (Xikar says if it dulls to send it back and they'll replace it). Definite thumbs up so far.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a higher percentage of cigars with tar buildup using Vcuts and punches. For that reason, I prefer a straight cut.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started cigars, I was really into the punch. It was way easier to use and not worry about clipping too much and the cigar unravelling. I finally in invested in the Xikar guillotine, and that's become my primary cutter. Less tar buildup for me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used all 3 prefer a v cut but lately been using a straight cut ( finally leaned how not to cut to much off with the help of the bar top).

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I’ve never used a punch so I can’t comment on that... however I tend to make visual and physical observations of the stick I’m going to smoke to determine which cut to use. If it looks and feels like it’s packed super tight I’ll go with a guillotine to open it up a bit. Something that appears more loose I will typically reach for the v cut.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I mostly use a gillotine, then a "V", but sometimes go to a punch. Nothing is forever, best to have one of each.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go to is a deep v cut, second has to be the Cuba Crafters Perfect Cutter...the dummyproof set up is nice and lives up to the name....but why limit to one! Love to try all styles with a stick and see if they change at all...you know for science!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I find it funny people never agree on anything about cutting a Cigar. In the old days people just nipped off the end with their TEETH. Cutters were only for the rich.

I for years use a very sharp knife to just cut a slit into the end of a stick, naw therher are Cutters d=]for sale from $3.00 to the sky is the limit.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a guillotine and V cutter combo that I paid $1.99 for and it sucks. I picked up an 11mm Xikar punch and it's great for larger gauge cigars (if its an even larger gauge, I but to punches together like a figure 8). I much prefer the V-cut though, and got a Xikar VX2 for Christmas. I am pumped to try it out when I get home (travelled to Maryland for Christmas with the fiance's family).

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have a guillotine and V cutter combo that I paid $1.99 for and it sucks. I picked up an 11mm Xikar punch and it's great for larger gauge cigars (if its an even larger gauge, I but to punches together like a figure 8). I much prefer the V-cut though, and got a Xikar VX2 for Christmas. I am pumped to try it out when I get home (travelled to Maryland for Christmas with the fiance's family).

Friend has Xikar VX2 it kick butt on do a "V", might pick on up for large ring Gague Sticks.