What's new

Guns, sticks and knives oh my

mercop

Cigar Daddy
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I anticipate getting alot of knowledge here about cigars and would like to offer something to all of you. Some consider me a subject matter expert in guns, knives and impact weapons as well as other things related to personal protection. That is how I earn a living now. If there are any questions I can answer or be of any help, please post, PM or e-mail me.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
How do i karate chop someone on the neck and knock them out? :stickbeat

just kidding.

Very cool gesture.

Out of curiosity, how would an impact weapon be used for personal protection? and what exactly is meant by impact weapon? I envision something powerful enough to launch somebody about 15 feet it the air when activated...you know, like a landmine or something. Or is an impact weapon something more sublte like a night stick or baseball bat.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Can you reccomend a good middle of the road pocket knife, not outrageously priced say $200 or so?

mercop

Cigar Daddy
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Wow, OK that was fast.

First of all there are only really three ways to damage a human body-cut, crush and burn. That said besides using fire as a weapon all weapons are edged or impact. Even a bullet is a hybrid going really fast.

Guns and knives are very effective weapons but hard to walk around with one in your hand. I teach that the first line mechanical weapon option should be pens, kubatons and flashlights. Many teach a bunch of bullshit locks that you will not be able to due unders stress against a resisting bad guy.

Even when it is cold out the vast majority of people have their face, neck and hands exposed making those your go to targets to smash with your pen, flashlight or kubaton. Breaking bones on the back of a hand that grabs you or smashing it between the eye dropping the bag guy to his knees.

As stated you can spend a fortune on knives. My addiction went guns-knives-watches-cigars. They all start off inexpensive to suck you in.

IMHO the best bang for the buck for in the folder market is the Spyderco Endura (around $50). I high quality knife that is made even better by the fact that they make a trainer if you ever want to explore the martial side of the knife. If you appreciate fine things and want a fine production knife that is finished like a custom I suggest the Al Mar SERE 2000 (around $150) or the mini of the same knife. A VG-10 blade with a top mounted pocket clip that keeps it deep in your pocket to protect against loss. Fires faster than any auto as well.

Last edited:

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
self defense is always an awesome topic. george knows that i take great interest in the topic.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
i usually scratch my butt and then sniff my hand when i am approached by a menacing individual. They always turn and walk away when i do that.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
So my mom was taking an extended vacation in Cozumel when I was 15 or so. I arrived at the airport, and she was not there. I took a cab to her house and she wasn't there either. Really not like my mom at all, so I asked a cop and he called it in, she had been arrested the night before. A guy had gotten a little touchy feelly while she was withdrawing money at the ATM. She turned around and burried a fingernail file 4 inches deep in this guys belly. Needless to say he stopped being so touchy feely, but when he called the cops they arrested her. Good thing I got there in the morning so she didn't spend more than about 9 hours in the clink. I bailed her out and we had to go to court on Monday. Charges were dropped and a warning not to stab anyone else was given. Oh yeah and I smoked a fake Cohiba on that trip. And found me a local girl for the week.

Anyway that's my mom's story for ya.

Last edited:

mercop

Cigar Daddy
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
That is a great story. Whenever you use physical or mechanical force to defend youself it helps to be the first reporting party.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I really like how you focus on close-range defense. A lot of people at the cigar shop carry guns, and sure you can easily bury a clip into someone who breaks into your house or is a car's length away, but most of the robberies and attacks happen way too close for you to pull a gun on someone. A lot of people also seem to carry some cool-looking knife, but there's no way they'd be able to draw it, unfold, and attack someone before they start crushing your skull. You could probably get a good number of solid blows to the throat/head/neck in on someone before they even got their knife out of their pocket.

Just out of curiosity, I've seen some videos (Ron may have even posted a couple a while back) of a rolled-up magazine. Magazines are pretty thick and sturdy. Are they really that practical and effective? Just something I've always kind of wondered, and you would probably know better than most people!

TYLER

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I really like how you focus on close-range defense. A lot of people at the cigar shop carry guns, and sure you can easily bury a clip into someone who breaks into your house or is a car's length away, but most of the robberies and attacks happen way too close for you to pull a gun on someone. A lot of people also seem to carry some cool-looking knife, but there's no way they'd be able to draw it, unfold, and attack someone before they start crushing your skull. You could probably get a good number of solid blows to the throat/head/neck in on someone before they even got their knife out of their pocket.

Just out of curiosity, I've seen some videos (Ron may have even posted a couple a while back) of a rolled-up magazine. Magazines are pretty thick and sturdy. Are they really that practical and effective? Just something I've always kind of wondered, and you would probably know better than most people!

TYLER
Tyler, you are going to get George on a roll with questions like that. George teaches that when the shit hits the fan, you are much more likely to be able to pull your knife out of your pocket, and use it as a kubaton. Under the duress of an assault, it will be very hard to actually get your knife out of your pocket, and open it up while getting attacked. Hopefully a few good smacks to the head with a closed knife will end the problem.

mercop

Cigar Daddy
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Ron, you know me too well.

A rolled up magazine is a wooden dowel and the stick is my favorite mechanical force tool. Imagine someone smacking you under the chin with a rolled up magazine, especially if your tounge was between your teeth.

It is sage wisdom that if you knew you had to defend youself with a knife you should choose a fixed blade. The reality is that fixed blades are illegal in many places and uncomfortable to carry configured the way they come from the factory most times. So we do a a massive ammount of with folders. If you can't get it out then use your open hands until you can, if you can get it out but can not deploy the blade due to lack of threat or room then hammer fist with it. If you do get it out you use our Inverted Edged Tactics. Watch the video of it on the site. By inverting the edge you attack the most vulnerable areas of your attackers body by default without over exposing yourself.

As for all those that talk about not bringing a knife to a gunfight, we can do a little force on force. Within arms reach the blade has no equal. Don't get me wrong I love guns but this comment is made by people who have not had the benefit of a little gun vs knife force on force.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
hmm... some guy attacks me, I'd probably just give him my wallet.
But first I would ask for my license and library card cause those are a pain to replace.

mercop

Cigar Daddy
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
If he wants your wallet he will just ask for it since an assault attracts attention. The problem comes in when you are not alone and are attacked. What will he do to your loved ones once he is done with you or what if he attacks them first?

More and more I see less assaults with robbery as a motive and more over a percieved wrong doing like looking at a girl, cutting someone off in traffic or taking a parking space.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
hmm... some guy attacks me, I'd probably just give him my wallet.
But first I would ask for my license and library card cause those are a pain to replace.
good point, your life is more important than your wallet. self defense is about defending you and your family's life, not your wallet.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
luckily i don't get into many fights. People for some reason don't like to try to fight a 6'6" 250lbs. guy. And I have a bat in my truck in case someone cuts me off. jk.

mercop

Cigar Daddy
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
at 6'2 290 I can understand that, pluse I carry enough hardware to keep me away from puddles. Again when you are in public with a loved one in public and the preceed you into a building or parking lot and something happens you need skill sets to deal with them, maybe they drove and don't have a bat