What's new

HDTV Help For The Technology Challenged *DECISION MADE*

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sweet! Congrats on the purchase. Good luck setting it up and enjoy! We need to see a picture of people watching it, smoking cigars!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
One thing I need to mention about the DirecTV receiver (assuming you are getting the HD-DVR) is make sure you plug it into a UPS. The slightest power blip will reset it, taking ~10 minutes before your TV is restored. If it's plugged into a UPS, you won't lose power or TV during a minor power blip or short outage.

Nothing sucks worse than to be watching a game or a the news or something similar and have that happen.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Congrats Wade, U will be amazed watching the Packers on big screen, I my self can't wait till NASCAR starts again...........Good luck Bro

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
One thing I need to mention about the DirecTV receiver (assuming you are getting the HD-DVR) is make sure you plug it into a UPS. The slightest power blip will reset it, taking ~10 minutes before your TV is restored. If it's plugged into a UPS, you won't lose power or TV during a minor power blip or short outage.

Nothing sucks worse than to be watching a game or a the news or something similar and have that happen.
I'm assuming that UPS is some sort of power supply back up thingy? I don't have one but guess I should, I just got a HD receiver, not a DVR one.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
But I don't get my DirectTV till next Thursday, so I guess I'll have to go to the lounge and watch the Packers today on HD while smoking a VSG Round and couple Opus!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm assuming that UPS is some sort of power supply back up thingy? I don't have one but guess I should, I just got a HD receiver, not a DVR one.
You are correct, it's a power supply. I'm not sure if you will need one with the regular HD receiver, I don't have one of those so I'm not sure what the boot times are for it.